+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feedback on roles for leveling/dps/world pvp

Shadowlander

Default Feedback on roles for leveling/dps/world pvp

Hey rogues. My rogue is currently lvl 19 and I'm focusing on riftstalker. Now that I've got some extra cash, I've been playing around with different souls to use for a second role.

I like the idea of the assassin tree, but I wonder how things like low survivability and positional attacks would impact questing/soloing. Nightblade interests me, but I am not sure if this is effective for leveling. Both of these souls are the stealth souls, and I like the idea of using stealth to avoid unwanted world pvp while questing (at least giving me a chance to run).. The third one I've been playing around with is saboteur. I like the idea of the class, but I'm not sure how it performs with quest grinding and world pvp.

Please let me know what you think about things you've tried. Thanks!

I'm currently using a nightblade primary specced build and i'm ~ level 30. I've found that nightblade puts up some serious numbers and I dominate quests around my level. Its a very viable PVE spec

Telaran

I love how each soul has a very different feel to it when you're PVE soloing.

Nightblade is nice as it puts out elemental damage (armor is useless against these, right?) and does some AOE, so it's a solid straight up damage when the goal is killing lots of mobs. Mind you, I've been playing with Assassin, and while it's much more situational, it does one thing very very well ... any quests involving picking up specific items or killing specific mobs are cake. Your stealth is much stronger, lasts forever, and your openers are simply disgusting. Mind you, I believe a lot of rogues make split Sin/NB builds specifically to take advantage of both needs. In fact, if anyone has a good split Sin/NB build to recommend for decent instance dps as well as for soloing, I'm all ears.

Blade Dancer is also nice, and more survivable than Nightblade, but it depends heavily on you being attacked ... so great for soloing, but rather useless for when someone else is taking hits, like in an instance where you are not tanking with Riftstalker.

Ranger is ... well, remember the Hunter class from that other well known MMO? Exactly that. Pretty steady and reliable, but for God's sake keep your pet on Passive when you're in an instance!

Marksmen ... I don't really know too much of it, but from what I've seen, the Marksman is all about snares and mobility to wear down mobs or people until they drop. Probably very good for PVP, but you really don't want to be running around everywhere in PVE as you'll likely get adds.

Riftstalker and Bard are two very interesting souls, one for tanking and the other for party/raid wide buffing, and the latter is especially desired in groups. But neither is really good for solo PVE. It's not that you can't kill with them ... it's just that you'll do it real slow like.

Saboteur: I know they got hit with the Nerf Bat of Steel last week. Other than that, I think others would be best suited to advise on playstyle. Just never really interested me. At least not yet.

I'm of course no expert, so others may feel free to contradict me.
    Last edited by Infusco; 04-05-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Well, I'm not on a pvp server, so results and opinions may differ.
    I've been using a sab/ranger/X build for soloing. Sending the boar in and then setting 5xCharges, detonate, frag bomb, annihilation bomb pretty much digs a huge chunk out of a 3 pull. No stealth, but I've had very little issue up to lv34 so far.

I doubt the gravy train will carry me all the way, but it's great right now. Very very little down time, handling multi-mob packs with low difficulty, and even when in trouble, the damage mitigation from ranger , and either the HP boost from bard in 3rd, or the armor boost from riftstalker. Works great imo

Soulwalker

I found that going 13 points into riftstalker is almost a must for questing, in later levels it is a Godsend. Go blademaster 8 points. Rest of the points place into nightbane or assassin. I found assassin did more dps, and overall after each mob I was at full health. Btw I'm lvl 39.

+ Reply to Thread