+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP: Bard useless without a spot healer?

Telaran

Default PvP: Bard useless without a spot healer?

Hi,

I've PvP'd occassionally as I've levelled, normally as bard - not seriously, just doing dailies to break up the levelling grind (currently I'm 49)

I've noticed that sometimes my bard feels really great. I can contribute so much to my team. Topping healing done. Getting killing blows. Doing loads of cc. Not to mention the buffs.
    Other times I feel completely useless. I can't keep people up. I seem to be a free HK for any serious DPS that looks at me. I'm a waste of space.

I've think I've just worked out the main difference. I really need a spot healer (cleric or chloro) working alongside me to be effective. Without a cleric, I can't keep the front line up by myself. One or two of them drop. Then the enemy notices me, and whilst cc may keep me alive a little longer, I can't really keep them off , forever and I end up being a cheap kill that can't fight back.

However with a cleric healing alongside me, I look really good. The front line stays in place. If a dps targets me, I can keep them off long enough for the clerics heals to fill in the gaps. I can make the clerics job easier by topping off splash damage and dealing with aoe. It's all much better.

So does this match other people's experience? Are bards useless in warfronts without a single target healer alongside?

If I enter a warfront, and we don't have a healer, would I better off switching to a DPS sole (even if the other team doesn't have a healer either?).

It's frustrating being quite so dependent on someone else to function!

Bards aren't meant to be main healers, they aren't supposed to be able to keep people up when they get hit for burst damage and stuff like that. The healing they provide is meant for pressure, as in your team getting hit with some AoE damage. If your bard is the only healing in a warfront, you aren't useless as you're still going to be healing your raid and providing them with buffs, but you aren't going to be keeping targets alive if they have a dps on them.
    Last edited by PVStar; 04-05-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by PVStar View Post
    Bards aren't meant to be main healers, they aren't supposed to be able to keep people up when they get hit for burst damage and stuff like that. The healing they provide is meant for pressure, as in your team getting hit with some AoE damage. If your bard is the only healing in a warfront, you aren't useless as you're still going to be healing your raid and providing them with buffs, but you aren't going to be keeping targets alive if they have a dps on them.
    That may be the theory.

In practice I can't help feeling I'd be able to achieve more as an extra DPS. Bards can neither apply pressure, nor withstand it.

Telaran

My experience in WF so far is that I am much more successful going in as full support bard than as my dps (ranger) secondary role. Of course bard will shine even more if there are other "real" healers to take off the heat, but frankly even bard healing is better than no healing. There have been so many pug WF's where we had no other healers since for some reason Defiant don't play healers as much as Guardians. Without bard heals my team would not have had a chance. Switching your bard support role for a secondary rogue dps role will not help your team in most cases. The only way dps would help more than bard is if you instead bring in a pyro alt since if you have enough pyros then healing is unnecessary.

I run 34 bard/ 32 RS, and while the healing is not enough to keep someone alive against 2 dps (or one for that matter if that person can't kill what's on them), the mitigation from RS allows me to be the front line, cc and take the enemy's attention while my dps mop up the enemy dps with me putting pressure on healers with cc. To try and play healbot is a waste, i'll do more good taking 500k+ dmg a wf and healing 150-300k while keeping cc out at all times than I will trying to push that 450-550k healing and staying back or picking up a dps soul to do terrible damage with the utility.

That said, you need a real healer with you.
    Last edited by Odaman; 04-05-2011 at 10:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread