+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Retreat in MM tree

Shadowlander

Default Question about Retreat in MM tree

So, I've been playing a handful of days. Enjoying the game but have to admit the description of feats confuses the heck out of me alot of the time. With the plethora of souls available, it's difficult to discern which feats work with feats of other souls etc, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Out of pure stubborness I'm rolling up a MM and digging it alot (using Ranger for the pet to help me level up, since you can rank it up as you go and it's a decent distraction for opponents at sub-50 pvp thus far, and 6 pts in Ranger for the snare and +5% crit seems like a fair cost) but have noted ALOT of negatives about the skill "retreat" here on the forums.

So, you can be CC'd in mid-air while using this skill? Also 20m doesn't sound far enough to avoid the charge like effects I see alot of melees running. Also, how long are you stuck in the air?

At level 50 pvp, how many people recommend it? I ask because frankly, I'm thinking of dropping another two points off of my eventual 40pt MM build to find other ways to passively improve my DPS via another soul instead.

So any information from the more experienced players out there, I'm all ears.

Shadowlander

Cmon now, I know someone else is playing MM :P (not many I admit but gotta be a few!)

I love my MM spec, but it needs some love in terms of its damage output. There are a lot of useful PvP talents in there as long as you are using them to play objectives instead of trying to rack up damage and KB's.

Pretty sure I've found the build that bleeds every bit of DPS out of the build possible at 50. After some tweaking, here's what I've come up with for expert dungeon running.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0toqzVhdR.V0xz

Use Lethal Poison and Hellfire Blades as your weapon enchants.

Drop a pedestal somewhere safe. For AOE pulls, use Lightning Fury on cooldown, Crossfire on cooldown, and spam Fan Out as filler.

On single target, the key is learning your cooldowns.

As for leveling, MM is not ideal since it's best used for kiting and there are usually enough mobs in a given area to make kiting interesting. Hope this helps a bit, I'll be happy to add more if you need more questions answered.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Retreat is essentially the opposite of the Bahmi leap ability, and has a similar speed/duration. Yes you can get knocked out of it, but you can also fire from it.

Soulwalker

I have 51 point marksman 7 point ranger 8 point night blade

ranger i got crit and ranged dmg (i mostly went ranger to get feral instinncs for 46 Attack power buff)
    nightblade for the 15% combo dmg ability and 3 into the finisher ability.

this build rapes pvp (if u are not by urself) and pve is awesome burst damage and descent aoe.

for pvp the leap back ability is best used with repelling shot. ie use repelling shot to KB them then leap back so ur 35 meters away from target and since u maxed MM u get that additional 5 meters of ranged attack thus allowing you to **** more. then when they get close pop the 1min cd aoe that kbs enemeies within 10 meters of you and u have a good amount of time to not be attacked by enemy, if they are targeting you that is. if they are busy with someone else pop snipers ped and pop ur cds which is awesome cuz u can do hella burst damage for 30 seconds.

use combo abilitys to get target at 5 points (or just use strafe). then pop 100%chance crit buff, hit and run (for instant empowered/deadeye shot with no cds). and also pop the -50% energy cost of skills all at same time and jsut bombard them with empowered and deadeye until ur buffs run out and they begin casting to fire. then pop the skill which reseets all mm abilities and do it again!

LOL **** im telling you with ok gear and 35% crit ull be critting for atleast 1.8k on deadeye and 600-700 on empowered shot. ull **** all but warriors (plate blah!)

for pve its even easier (JUST CARE ULL TAKE AGRO FROM CRAZY DPS ULL DO)
    pop snipers pedistal and just empowered, lightning fury and quickshot in whatever order you want until you can deadeye and repeat.

Shadowlander

thanks for the input folks and I liked the idea of repell+retreat. Hadn't occured to me.

Shadowlander

p.s. the Sin and NB weapon enchants work on the bow as well??

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lukoi6 View Post
    p.s. the Sin and NB weapon enchants work on the bow as well??
    Yes. Since MM has the most gimped ranged dmg of the 3 possible ranged rogue specs, most people use NB/MM or MM/NB/Sin. In the poison/enchant tooltips it says "all weapon attacks". Any ability that also does weapon dmg will proc them. Poisons are wep enchants.

I personally put most of my points in NB, and the rest into MM. I find this is the best MM dps for my play style. Yes, I understand that the irony is I have more points in NB, but essentially, all the casted abilities are from MM. Moreover, the devs basically require you to do this as a level 50MM, since you are dmg gimped otherwise.

There are good posts on the forums about ranged rogue spec that can almost (almost, but not quite...) keep up with other calling's dps specs. check them out, look for parses and for build links.
    Last edited by Bartimus; 04-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bartimus View Post
    Yes. Since MM has the most gimped ranged dmg of the 3 possible ranged rogue specs, most people use NB/MM or MM/NB/Sin. In the poison/enchant tooltips it says "all weapon attacks". Any ability that also does weapon dmg will proc them. Poisons are wep enchants.

I personally put most of my points in NB, and the rest into MM. I find this is the best MM dps for my play style. Yes, I understand that the irony is I have more points in NB, but essentially, all the casted abilities are from MM. Moreover, the devs basically require you to do this as a level 50MM, since you are dmg gimped otherwise.

There are good posts on the forums about ranged rogue spec that can almost (almost, but not quite...) keep up with other calling's dps specs. check them out, look for parses and for build links.
    thanks Bart. It might be a bitter pill to swallow but I shall definitely look at these other non-MM, MM specs.

+ Reply to Thread