+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swift vs Quick shot, and some more Ranger/MM questions

Telaran

Default Swift vs Quick shot, and some more Ranger/MM questions

So, I was wondering, is Quick or Swift Shot better for a dps rotation?

Base they're both pretty much the same. Swift gets a 15% talent in MM, quickshot gets the talent to do 30% over 6 seconds. But when you spam QS, that dot will never run its course, maybe doing just 1 or 2 ticks.

Hasted Shot seems to be better than Head Shot too, but Head Shot gets the buff where you and your pet go into bestial fury. However that lasts 60 seconds, so guess Headshot once, then Hasted?

Or is Deadeye Shot actually a DPS increase? It clearly does more damage than either of them, but has a 1.5 second casttime, compared to 1 sec GCD. I'm sure some smart people made the math there already and can say which one's better (as long as you can stand still and don't have to run around)

I'm level 20 now and this is my build at the time: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMfN..E0zoqzz.Vz
    I thought the MM stuff to increase damage is better at the start, picked some things up for PvP too. I didn't pick up the 25% AP increase yet, because at my level I don't have much AP to start with so 25% more is still not much. Planning to get it later.
    Now that I could get Prey on the Weak though next level, I might respec to Ranger for that. Worth it or stick with more in MM for now?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jaince View Post
    So, I was wondering, is Quick or Swift Shot better for a dps rotation?

Base they're both pretty much the same. Swift gets a 15% talent in MM, quickshot gets the talent to do 30% over 6 seconds. But when you spam QS, that dot will never run its course, maybe doing just 1 or 2 ticks.

Hasted Shot seems to be better than Head Shot too, but Head Shot gets the buff where you and your pet go into bestial fury. However that lasts 60 seconds, so guess Headshot once, then Hasted?

Or is Deadeye Shot actually a DPS increase? It clearly does more damage than either of them, but has a 1.5 second casttime, compared to 1 sec GCD. I'm sure some smart people made the math there already and can say which one's better (as long as you can stand still and don't have to run around)
    If you're using both MM and Ranger abilities, use Quickshot for the bleed, but spam swift shot... As for finishers, yes, use Headshot to get the fury buff, but then use Rapid Fire Shot next. I haven't done the math with Deadeye shot, but I've found Hasted/Rapid Fire shot to hit for 5-700 and crit for around 1k consistantly, while Deadeye will hit for 800-1k and crit for about 1800-2k. Hit and Run makes it and Empowered Shot spammable, so obviously the DPS loss there is non-existant, but you have to watch your energy.

As for your build, if you're using your pet properly and this is just a PvE spec, you can safely dump Static Shot and Repelling Shot from your build and put those points somewhere more useful.

Another side note regarding your build - you may wish to consider going Ranger/Bard instead of Ranger/Marks for pure PvE. I was able to solo major rifts using such a build all the way up to level 30 (when the usefulness of the basic boar runs out).

Quote Originally Posted by Arvelen View Post
    Hit and Run makes it and Empowered Shot spammable, so obviously the DPS loss there is non-existant, but you have to watch your energy.
    i macro controlled fire with hit and run, 50% less energy use makes it much more useable.
    when you add in Scourge of Darkness, it does some pretty impressive dps, just a shame its only 9 hits worth of impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Oh, yeah, how dare we cite to something that is more accurate than Britannica.
    "Seebs, on Wikipedia's Accuracy"

Telaran

I'm on a pvp server, so I got some pvp abilities in there too. Also don't have the money yet for a 3rd spec for a pure pvp spec, and the 2nd role is my tank role for instances.

It's possible Deadeye Shot gets better with higher AP, I don't have much of that yet

+ Reply to Thread