+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bladedancer suggestion

Rift Chaser

Default Bladedancer suggestion

The impression I've gotten is that Bladedancer lags behind in groups/raids because without dodging, blade isn't self-buffing and isn't getting reactive abilities off. So an idea I've been having that might be worthwhile would be if Bladedancer gets either a talent (20 or 25 points deep) or a root ability (somewhere between 32 and 38 points?) that will help them dodge without dodging.

Call the ability "Dance Partner" or "In Step" or something, and the upshot is this -- either as a rhythmic cooldown or as a targeted buff (like some tanks and healers have) that the Bladedancer just applies to a tank, for the duration, the Bladedancer has either a chance (if a long buff) or 100% chance (if cooldown) to get credit for dodging when the targeted player dodges.

In practice, that would mean if the tank dodges, the Bladedancer's abilities would react as though the Bladedancer had dodged, even though the Bladedancer doesn't have aggro. The Bladedancer doesn't actually dodge in that case, it wouldn't affect incoming damage, it would literally just borrow the dodge from the tank and things like Strike Back, Turn the Tide, Reprisal, and Disengage would activate.

I've got no numbers or theorycrafting, just an armchair attempt to solve what appears to be the soul's main limitation next to the other two melee DPS souls in the calling. No attempt here to fix rogues in general.
    Last edited by Greywing; 04-04-2011 at 05:00 PM.

LOL dance partner, I like that name
    Valera, High Elf Mage
    Evira, Kelari Rogue

In Rift, mobs raid players.

Sword of Telara

sounds great

Telaran

It sound good I read this idea other times around the forum, I would prefer it called Brother of the Sword then Dancing Partner! lol
    I would give it a short range (about 20 m) to limit it in WF and PvP.
    Last suggestion: what is the use of haveing two different non stackable Dext buff in our abilities? I would suggest to change the first with a Blade Enhanchment or better a Posture to mirror Shield Enchamntments of the Pala to garant 5% Parry and Dodge!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by algol80 View Post
    It sound good I read this idea other times around the forum, I would prefer it called Brother of the Sword then Dancing Partner! lol
    I would give it a short range (about 20 m) to limit it in WF and PvP.
    Last suggestion: what is the use of haveing two different non stackable Dext buff in our abilities? I would suggest to change the first with a Blade Enhanchment or better a Posture to mirror Shield Enchamntments of the Pala to garant 5% Parry and Dodge!

Nice idea.

Shadowlander

You do know that you can have up to 4 roles right? You dont need to play Bladedancer all the time, I promise ^^

Ok seriously now.. I love BD but it's more of a solo (PvE and PvP) class or one that can be combines with RS for tanking (dodge=no dmg), if you want to contribute as DPS there are a lot better builds out there and if it's AoE you want I thikn ranged is better at it

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Triggr View Post
    You do know that you can have up to 4 roles right? You dont need to play Bladedancer all the time, I promise ^^

Ok seriously now.. I love BD but it's more of a solo (PvE and PvP) class or one that can be combines with RS for tanking (dodge=no dmg), if you want to contribute as DPS there are a lot better builds out there and if it's AoE you want I thikn ranged is better at it
    This would be well and good if it was the only solo pve build possible cause then it would have its niche but it honestly is weak in all aspects of the game and has no niche.

Fact remains that the soul needs some kind of tweaking to make it more viable in endgame pursuits... whether you pvp or pve.

Bah. There should be at least one melee class that can crank out some AoE DPS. You're dual wielding with blades, the class is Blade Dancer, all about rhythm and movement, that should be the AoE melee DPS class.

Telaran

I'm sorry i can't immagine what's your point?
    What you said have to do with the topic? I guess this is the answer to another my reply..
    The only problem with mass combat is that usually (luckily) tanking tank take all the incoming attacks so your dodging requiring buff/attacks are not aviable. Speakeing of AoE BD has more multi target attacks possibilities that other melee rogues!
    Dodging is rogue way to supply the impossibility to Block! I use RS not only for tanking but everithing also I have three role slotted and I sue them But I also use to use all of three role in different situation, especially RS and BD (Bard is very boring for questing.

Rift Chaser

I really think if your answer is "just make another role so you can use the cookie-cutter top melee DPS spec for raids", you've entirely missed the point and the potential of this character system. Roles -- certainly the 3rd and 4th one -- should just be the "try something nutty" builds. The soul system should be the perfect opportunity to come up with any one of a dozen viable melee specs, a dozen viable ranged specs, probably a half-dozen tank specs, hybrid ranged/melee specs, hybrid melee/bards, etc.

With this idea, I don't care about the name, call it "brother, can you spare some dodge?" if you want. I like the idea of a 20m range, although I'm not sure how beneficial the ability would be in a warfront overall since it only reproduces the effect of a dodge on damage abilities, it wouldn't provide actual mitigation.

Doing it as a blade enchant would be fine, too, although I'm not sure what it would proc off of without having chosen a friendly target to provide the dodge check for you.

Telaran

The two were different suggestion!
    The "Brother of the Sword" is the sharing dodge ability.
    The blade enchantment or better the stance would be a way to mirror paladin's shield buff and at the same time be rid of a useless double buff.

Rift Disciple

Nice suggestion!

An option I thought of for bladedancer is to have self buffs, much like the "Mein of" abilities a justicar has to switch between tanking and healing.

You could have one buff than increases your parry chance a little and your abilites work as normal, the other buff could increase your crit chance and make your abilities proc off crits, with a downside that you are unable to dodge or parry whilst it is active.

Thoughts?

Rift Disciple

Wrong. Efficient rogue pve is dependant upon rift scavenger. You can pair it with sin, nightblade or hell any of the other souls and achieve good results.

Telaran

Love this idea - have seen it pop up in the past here and there. I like the name: Merge Blades 'allows the blade dancer to merge blades with one ally, granting the BD the chance to deflect attacks directed at the ally for X amount of time'. This would grant the tank some extra dodge/parry and anytime the tank dodged/parried it would proc the BD reactive abilities. Maybe make this the improved false blade talent so you would still need to spec deep in BD for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverrick View Post
    LOL dance partner, I like that name
    I'd prefer "Two to tango", but maybe that's just me.
    BeardAxe | Eth | Riftstalker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast