+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happened to Pick Pockets?

Default What happened to Pick Pockets?

I've played a Rogue in all other MMOs.
    I've always thought Pick Pocket was central to the Rogue class. What happened? How was this not included in Rogue skills?

You mean actually sneaking up to NPCs and even players and taking their money?

Very few MMOs have that because its just free money for rogues. ShadowBane used to let you steal items from NPCs - it was basically a horrible disaster and I belive they changed it. Rogues had all the good stuff and regular players would get upset because they would kill MOBs for no reward.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by jcullen24 View Post
    I've played a Rogue in all other MMOs.
    I've always thought Pick Pocket was central to the Rogue class. What happened? How was this not included in Rogue skills?
    Warcraft was one of the first games to include this ability. Shadowbane and a couple of others did it. However, the ability is not common in most games. It's really a roleplay thing more than anything.

Shadowlander

TBH I hadn't even realized Pickpocket's absence until I read this. It sounds fun, but would likely be RP/thematic at best anyway for balance reasons, so I don't think we are missing anything

Plane Touched

No pick pocket, no disarm trap, no pick locks. All things that made a 'rogue' a rogue. Now the word rogue is meshed with everything (ranger, assassin, bard).

Sad news indeed. Gonna get my DnD game running again to get my real rogue fix

:edit: Just a FYI pags411, pickpockets was big part for rogues in everquest and quite a few other games pre WoW. Many new games are phasing out traditional rogue abilities to get this standardized version of what people think a RPG should be. Makes me sad in pants.
    Last edited by Daggerr le Vaurien; 04-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Sword of Telara

i miss it as well. in -most- games rogues had pick pockets as a way of making a bit of money and chance for rare items on the side, this helped to offset the cost of using poisons or other reagents they had to use more than other classes.

rogues also had detect/disarm trap, pick lock, and sometimes a "pick pocket" that worked at the time of looting (earning the group more money) and atleast twice ive seen a rogue have the ability to raise the chance of good loot. these all went to offset the fact that traditionally, rogues arent one of the highest picked classes for groups. high burst DPS but low dps after that. little things here and there helped them get a spot now and then.

A lot of DDO dungeons can't be completely done without a rogue. Most allow you to complete them but you don't get all the content. Had some good laughs in some, when the disarm trap fails and kaboom we all died.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by pags411 View Post
    Warcraft was one of the first games to include this ability. Shadowbane and a couple of others did it. However, the ability is not common in most games. It's really a roleplay thing more than anything.
    I don't know that this is accurate considering EQ1 came out 6 years prior and rogues had pick pocket then. I would imagine several other games had rogues with pick pocket in that time span. On a side note pick pocketing is not a huge issue except if players can be included. In most cases the rogue is simply pulling from a pre-existing loot table, so all that is really being stolen is the possibility for other group members to get it.

AAA
    Telaran

Default Real Rogue

I'll be running a D&D 4e session this Friday. We are actually finishing up the Trollhaunt module. A few months ago our "Rogue" rolled a pickpocket check to replace our Ranger's magical bow with a Banana and succeeded. Nothing beats the expression on that guy's face when I told him that he had a Banana in his hands instead of his weapon as he's about to unleash a Twin Strike on the mobs.

Regards,

Aone, aka Nodice, Phone

Loft, Lotham (Guardian)

Quote Originally Posted by Baynne View Post
    I don't know that this is accurate considering EQ1 came out 6 years prior and rogues had pick pocket then. I would imagine several other games had rogues with pick pocket in that time span. On a side note pick pocketing is not a huge issue except if players can be included. In most cases the rogue is simply pulling from a pre-existing loot table, so all that is really being stolen is the possibility for other group members to get it.
    Well before that, UO had the ultimate pick pocketing. I used to steal people's house keys and loot all their possessions. I probably looted several thousand houses in that game. I had aquired such a large wealth that when I eventually retired, I sold my 2 accounts to an entire guild. A month after, I got an email from the GL telling me that they have a dozen people spending hours a day and they still havent made a dent in sorting through all my stuff. I had billions of items. That was some serious hard core pick pocketing.
    486 DX2
    4MB RAM
    3.5 and 5 1/4 Floppy
    Voodoo Video Card
    14in monitor VGA 256k
    28.8 Modem

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pags411 View Post

If you mean "one of" as in 5-6 years later (even more if you include muds) it was, otherwise it wasn't.

Just because WoW did something doesn't mean it didn't nick it from much earlier games.

+ Reply to Thread