+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rogue tanks are terrible!

Soulwalker

Default Rogue tanks are terrible!

I will step into an expert with equal or better gear that a warrior has and still get stomped. And no, it's not because I'm a bad tank. I use all the abilities that I have, pop all my CDs, single target taunts, aoe taunts, etc.. I will loose agro easily and I take so much spike damage that trash takes me out easily. The state of rogue tanks is sad.

Rift Chaser

You are a bad tank.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    You are a bad tank.
    This. The class is fine. You are not.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Shield of Telara

It's easier to faceroll tank as a warrior.

You have to be 110% on your game to rogue tank.

Champion

Apparently you're doing it wrong. My healer loves it when I tank, often times even over the equivalently-geared warrior in my group.

We swap to the warrior tanking on fights that need more ranged DPS, and back to me on fights where survivability cooldowns or mobility are key. Any tank will have AoE threat problems (warrior or otherwise) with DPS that lacks restraint.

I can honestly say a rogue is a fine tank in any expert instance or raid; I've tanked the Duke and Inquisitor in GSB (our guild's progression) and all T1/T2 experts.
    Last edited by Lucubration; 04-04-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Telaran

There are several Expert fights where it's easier for a Riftstalker to tank, due to vastly better mobility options than Warriors or Clerics have.

Shadowlander

Default you are a bad tank

Considering there are many of us rogue tanks who don't have the problems you seem to be having, I'm going to have to go with, your doing it wrong. There is either something with your gear or how you are tanking that is causing you to be killed.

When I was just geared for T1's I was able to tank Akala and Baron, which are raids and didn't have to much trouble after the pull. You can tank as well if not better in most situations than your cleric and warrior counterparts. Our biggest weakness is the first few globals after a pull and AoE packs, both of which are quite manageable.

If you would like to not be terrible maybe you could go into detail about whats happening so we can help.

--Pharazon
    Last edited by Pharra; 04-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Soulwalker

Continuing the theme of people saying you're doing it wrong.

I tanked T1 and T2 experts all weekend, and in fact took over tanking for a warrior at one point because he couldn't handle a couple of the bosses.

My build isn't even optimal: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.x0d
    (Bard stuff is to maximize group buffs in 5-mans)

Fights are only even remotely difficult from my perspective in the first few seconds when I don't have any buffs up, and even that is easily mitigated.

I'm willing to bet you're trying to play RS like an avoidance tank, or you lack toughness, or you put too many points in Bladedancer/not enough in Riftstalker. Every single RS tank who claims the class is bad that I've seen thus far has made one of those mistakes.

I could use some help as a rogue tank as well, im using a very similar spec to the one posted earlier

I'm geared in mostly T1 epic leather gear with T2 accessories etc (140 toughness)

Im able to tank T2 experts but only do so if we dont have a warrior because its so much easier for them to tank

My stat page shows about 10% dodge and 5% parry (Im not sure if talent bonuses are included in this)

I use all my abilities, false blade, rift guard, cooldowns, guarded steel, but still take more overall and spike damage than a warrior tank with equal or slightly less quality gear than I do

I don't have a problem with threat but the main difficulty im having is just taking so much more damage than a warrior, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

Ascendant

I have 25% avoidance with False Blade up, and 9800 HP with 0 T2 items. There seems to be something wrong with your gear.

could you tell me what is wrong with my gear? Each piece has some sort of avoidance stat on it except a couple of my accessories, and everything I have is T1/T2 equivalent or better

please dont just say "You're doing it wrong" or "Something's wrong" please let me know what I should be doing or what the problem is

Imagine as a warrior, when you start the fight, you start with no shield, and no armor, and you must get your shield out of your bag while you are getting punched in the face, and you have to wrestle the armor away from the mobs, and put it on during battle, and now you are rogue tanking.

Rogue tanks have two methods of control, beefing up their damage soak and kiting , other than that, the mobs pretty much do what they want. Every finisher is spent buffing the rogue, and not controlling or affecting mobs.

Rogues absolutely Can get the job done, and I know some people really like soak tanking, I personally feel the rogue lacks a bit of control in comparison with other tanking classes.

I would really like to see an AoE finisher, possibly with a short stun or snare available to rogue tanks.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 04-04-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tankin View Post
    could you tell me what is wrong with my gear? Each piece has some sort of avoidance stat on it except a couple of my accessories, and everything I have is T1/T2 equivalent or better

please dont just say "You're doing it wrong" or "Something's wrong" please let me know what I should be doing or what the problem is
    I can't see your gear, and I can't see mine right now either. I just know that I have 5% more avoidance than you do with "worse" gear, which means there's probably something wrong.

Telaran

HP is King, not Dodge/Parry stats. And you only need Toughness to an extend. Toughness is there to prevent High damage 1 shots from the odd Critical Hit, it is not there for any other reason. And it is often overvalued. Looking at combat logs via ACT, there aren't that many Critical hits in T1 boss fights.

You should be at or near 9.5-10K HP and 40%+ Armor with T1/T2 gear.

Riftstalker (51) / Bladedancer (9) / Bard (6)

Riftstalker (51) / Bladedancer (7) / Ranger (8)

First build is for lesser geared tanks and with unoptimized group compositions. It adds more HP/Armor via self group buffs.

The second build is to prefer with better gear and Archons + Chloro healers that have +Armor buffs. Plus there is often times another calling with +Endurance buff.

Your Sigil has the opportunity to be a great source of Endurance, by simply buying the Planarite lesser Endurance essences. These add 9-11 Endurance and 7-10 of a Specific Resistance per essence.

Add Gravemaker Steak from Stillmoore Quartermaster (+10 End, 30 min), and Apothecary Mighty Fortification Serums (405 Armor, 30 min).

Champion

Are you using all tank gear Tankin, or are you mixing and matching DPS gear?

This is a huge problem that some RSes have they think they can get the toughness gear then mix and match DPS gear afterward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast