+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exploit pushes rogues further to - Bottom of the food chain

Default Exploit pushes rogues further to - Bottom of the food chain

This is craptastic.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-pls-fix-trion!

Not only does rogue calling feel like the bottom of the food chain, its pushed further downwards... not by OP warriors, or OP mages or unkillable healers, but now by an exploit usable by all classes that can use a 2hander. Which is everyone bar rogue calling.

The craptastic part is that its been around & known about since beta. And yet its still here.

My faith in Trion is about to dry up, along with my $$$ in subs to them.

While I definitely agree that their priorities are kinda whack, this is how every MMO I've ever played has started out. There are major and minor bugs that last longer than they should because, I'm sure, the development team is swamped.

That being said, they should have held off 1.1 until these major issues were resolved. All it did is add more trouble tickets. Look at how many hotfixes have had to be put through concerning the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Rippah View Post
    This is craptastic.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-pls-fix-trion!

Not only does rogue calling feel like the bottom of the food chain, its pushed further downwards... not by OP warriors, or OP mages or unkillable healers, but now by an exploit usable by all classes that can use a 2hander. Which is everyone bar rogue calling.

The craptastic part is that its been around & known about since beta. And yet its still here.

My faith in Trion is about to dry up, along with my $$$ in subs to them.
    had you read further down you would have seen the Dev response.
    way to over react.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Oh, yeah, how dare we cite to something that is more accurate than Britannica.
    "Seebs, on Wikipedia's Accuracy"

Quote Originally Posted by Elewyth View Post
    had you read further down you would have seen the Dev response.
    way to over react.
    Your missing the point, I'll restate it for you;

And yes I did read down further. And the devs were either to inept or too lazy to address this earlier. I'm amazed this made it into retail, its so so simple to achieve.

This amongst other reasons is why I am fast losing faith & confidence in Trion.

Plane Touched

I was the OP on that thread, the one linked above.

You are overreacting, and they have been working on it since beta.

They need to program in a special 'drop box" for items that do not fit into your bag, ala WoW. This is not easy, and must be done carefully.

Our guild, and the real life friends i mentioned no longer use this bug as we all agreed it was an unnecessary exploit. I suggest everyone else do the same.

LoL
    WTG Trion

I love how gamers think solutions to some in game problems are easy fixes lol. Sometimes these issues are a pain in the *** to fix, and this is one of them. Official game is a month old...reefffinlax. If you think the $15 a month or so ( 2 hours of min wage work about) is too much to pay to keep playing, I don't know what to tell you.
    I gank, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojiraatomic View Post
    I love how gamers think solutions to some in game problems are easy fixes lol. Sometimes these issues are a pain in the *** to fix, and this is one of them. Official game is a month old...reefffinlax. If you think the $15 a month or so ( 2 hours of min wage work about) is too much to pay to keep playing, I don't know what to tell you.
    Being that I have a BACS and I'm working on my MSCS, yes it's actually quite simple. First, they need to look at their class definition for a player and how they define equipment slots (are they enumerated types or class objects themselves? Or simply structs?). Second, if the definition of the player isn't screwy, then which method(s) are making it possible to contain one item of one type and another item of another type which in the definition would unequip the other (think of it as a stack with variable sized units, 2handers take two slots, 1hands take one, if there is a 2hander in hand/holding stack, then hand/holding stack is full...). So, what's probably happening is, however equipment slots are defined, is a method isn't properly updating character equipment slots. It's not uncommon to forget to check a boolean value or have it flip when you do return-type style of programming (I avoid it when possible as it leads to screwy results). When it doubt, use a copy constructor, then return the modified copy of the object as the intended result. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by xarael View Post
    Being that I have a BACS and I'm working on my MSCS, yes it's actually quite simple. First, they need to look at their class definition for a player and how they define equipment slots (are they enumerated types or class objects themselves? Or simply structs?). Second, if the definition of the player isn't screwy, then which method(s) are making it possible to contain one item of one type and another item of another type which in the definition would unequip the other (think of it as a stack with variable sized units, 2handers take two slots, 1hands take one, if there is a 2hander in hand/holding stack, then hand/holding stack is full...). So, what's probably happening is, however equipment slots are defined, is a method isn't properly updating character equipment slots. It's not uncommon to forget to check a boolean value or have it flip when you do return-type style of programming (I avoid it when possible as it leads to screwy results). When it doubt, use a copy constructor, then return the modified copy of the object as the intended result. :-P
    Yea thats what I mean. What he said!
    I gank, get over it.

Its alot like paying for cable only the stuff your paying for is coming in fuzzy. that wouldn't piss you off at all would it? i mean its only money. they cant be expected to do their job right after all, things are hard.
    THE TRANSITION TO REAL LIFE
    PVP:I joined the military to snipe some punks but everyone cries too much when i team kill.>_<
    PVE:so I decided to go hunting, which was pretty fun till i accidentally right clicked a critter, freaking little girl wouldn't stop crying about her cat.
    Crafting:bug report: fix the wood nodes! they aren't sparkly so i cant find them!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bartimus View Post
    I was the OP on that thread, the one linked above.

You are overreacting, and they have been working on it since beta.

They need to program in a special 'drop box" for items that do not fit into your bag, ala WoW. This is not easy, and must be done carefully.

Our guild, and the real life friends i mentioned no longer use this bug as we all agreed it was an unnecessary exploit. I suggest everyone else do the same.
    I'm kind of surprised you had to agree is was unnecessary, its an exploit. If I was exploiting I would be ashamed of it and hide it from my guild. From your statement it seems like your guild considered it a viable option at some point.

Rift Disciple

I agree, it seems like it would be easy, but I think they are trying to save the item from being deleted due to no bag space and no weapon slot available.

I say just delete the item, because in order for you to get full bags and a floating item you need to be trying hard to get it that way.

Soulwalker

I am sure you know more than the devs of this game do. /sarcasm off

Soulwalker

sigh. do yourself a favor, if you want to throw CS buzzwords around to impress people, at least get some experience with the topic you're talking about. then maybe you'll realize that not just game programming, but massively multiplayer online game programming is nothing like a sophomore class project. this vast oversimplification is ignoring 90% of the difficult problems in this space. your copy constructor suggestion alone has race and memory implications that i'm sure you never even considered.

I'm not saying you don't know how programming works, but instead that you simply have not considered the complexities of multiplayer/online programming and should not so strongly assert incompetence on Trion's part until you do especially as the vast majority of people will see big fancy computer words and assume you are correct.

Soulwalker

I'm not saying you don't know how programming works, but instead that you simply have not considered the complexities of multiplayer/online programming and should not so strongly assert incompetence on Trion's part until you do especially as the vast majority of people will see big fancy computer words and assume you are correct.
    That is probably the most intelligent response I've seen on the forums and it made me happy.

Once a project of this size even makes it to beta and change to the content (i.e fixing this bug) can have actual catastrophic effects on the game. For those that played wow in Wrath of the Lich King there was a bug were players were not able to loot chests. They fixed the bug and it caused the entire mail system to get borked.

Bug fixes are never "easy" fixes when it comes to any game that has the complexity of a MMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast