+ Reply to Thread

Thread: @ what point does ranger pet get useless?

Default @ what point does ranger pet get useless?

So I noticed myself (and read in other posts) that ranger pets are often useless on most bosses if you havent invested really deep into ranger (for the -% damage on aoe damage). But where is the break point? Do you really need 95% damage reduction (51pts) or would lower work too? If so what is the break point where pet becomes useless because it dies to fast?
    Last edited by Daex; 04-03-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    Dont forget to check out my poems/lyrics: Saboteur Poem / Saboteur Lyrics.
    Ps. English is not my native language.

Plane Walker

People are wrong. There are some bosses(like 1st and last boss in AP) that are bad to use a pet on. This is not because the pet dies, it's because the boss does more damage to the tank if your pet is standing next to them. At least..that's what my tank tells me. As far as the pet dying, it's rarely an issue. People are just far too lazy to hit the passive button to have their pet run away before a big aoe hits. Doing that hardly even lowers your pet's dps and it lets you keep the +15% damage buff it gives you on all the time. I imagine there are some bosses that just kill your pet with aoe(running it back or not) but I don't remember which ones, haven't really done experts in a while.

For expert level dungeons and raids, keeping your pet alive is very helpful so I would call a 51 point Ranger build very useful and something you should think of using if you want to be a Ranger full time. It's not essential if you know how to control your pet but it is helpful for you.
    Last edited by Lilisette; 04-04-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    Lilisette High Elven Rogue - Argent EU | Laretha: High Elven Cleric - Argent EU
    Rahal: High Elven Warrior - Argent EU | Lilaeath: High Elven Mage - Argent EU
    If any fellow Roleplayers want to meet up to RP, let me know.

But how would the pet survive if i dropped to 44? Or when i drop to 38? Is there a point where ppl consider the pet as canonfodder instead of sustained dps?
    Dont forget to check out my poems/lyrics: Saboteur Poem / Saboteur Lyrics.
    Ps. English is not my native language.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Daex View Post
    But how would the pet survive if i dropped to 44? Or when i drop to 38? Is there a point where ppl consider the pet as canonfodder instead of sustained dps?
    It changes for every fight I imagine. I doubt anyone has a list of how much survival the raptor needs for each boss.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Daex View Post
    So I noticed myself (and read in other posts) that ranger pets are often useless on most bosses if you havent invested really deep into ranger (for the -% damage on aoe damage). But where is the break point? Do you really need 95% damage reduction (51pts) or would lower work too? If so what is the break point where pet becomes useless because it dies to fast?
    the answer is never if played properly... keep in mind 999 out of every 1000 players is bad at this game, therefore do not know what they are talking about.

and if you want to play ranger go the 51 points, the pet scales better the more points you have because of the math behind "King of the jungle" its a sliding scale, not linear like most think.
    Last edited by Jekyll03; 04-04-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post
    and if you want to play ranger go the 51 points, the pet scales better the more points you have because of the math behind "King of the jungle" its a sliding scale, not linear like most think.
    Just keep in mind 51 point ranger is not the best dps. A hybrid ranger with enough to get raptor and have sin and nb passives seems to have the highest dps for me.

I'd assume even dropping a few points in the tree will greatly reduce its survivability. You're only getting 89% for having 48pts which means it'll take more than twice the amount of aoe damage when compared to 51pts.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    Just keep in mind 51 point ranger is not the best dps. A hybrid ranger with enough to get raptor and have sin and nb passives seems to have the highest dps for me.
    just because you can parse on a dummy a bit better does not make it better in groups. Try and think of it this way, What is a larger increase adding 20% damage (buffs you grant you pet with ranger talent though beastial fury and blood rage) to 40% increased damage or to 100% increased damage.

Its 20 to both, however it is a sliding scale the final number is much better with the 100% more damage, dd in raid buffs and debuffs and the more thing going on the better 51 ranger gets. Even if you get 20 more DPS out of your bow with a hybid spec your pet gains far more, in greenscale my pet does 220-230 DPS, the exponential pet scaling is the reason many ranged rogues go 51 points for raiding. It is the most stable DPS spes, nightblade can do more on a stationary fight, but really how many fight let you stand there and DPS like hitting target dummy.

Plane Walker

51 pt is probably better for some fights but more often times 31(or so) does more dps.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    51 pt is probably better for some fights but more often times 31(or so) does more dps.
    prove it with math, not just a "gut" feeling

+ Reply to Thread