+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: riftstalker tanks

Plane Touched

Default riftstalker tanks

so my guild is really short on t2 tanks for dailies and raids the last few weeks, so i'm going to switch over to tank for dailies and offtanking if needed.....any rogues that tank alot got some recommendations for builds/rotations...min hp/toughness to tank t2's would be ideal too....i have about 400 plaques...and i think like 116 toughness with the conditioned leather jerkin, t1 boots and the blue shoulders from AP with 31 toughness......im guessing i should prolly buy another sigil of 5 to stack up with endurance lessers too since my HP is only like 9.1k...

any tips would be appreciated.

Ascendant

100+ is fine for Toughness.

51 RS, 8 BD, 7 Bard is the spec I prefer.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by captnstudy View Post
    so my guild is really short on t2 tanks for dailies and raids the last few weeks, so i'm going to switch over to tank for dailies and offtanking if needed.....any rogues that tank alot got some recommendations for builds/rotations...min hp/toughness to tank t2's would be ideal too....i have about 400 plaques...and i think like 116 toughness with the conditioned leather jerkin, t1 boots and the blue shoulders from AP with 31 toughness......im guessing i should prolly buy another sigil of 5 to stack up with endurance lessers too since my HP is only like 9.1k...

any tips would be appreciated.
    9.1k HP and 116 toughness is more than enough for T2's.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xh
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.x0d

AFAIK those are two of the most widely accepted builds.

Plane Touched

got worked pretty hard in RD with that second build in a guild group...swapped with warrior who normally tanks and we facerolled the dungeon.

i dont know if its different healling a riftstalker than a warrior and the healer wasnt used to it? We've been clearing T2's since the first week of march, so its not like we don't know the dungeons.

Rift Disciple

got worked pretty hard in RD with that second build in a guild group...swapped with warrior who normally tanks and we facerolled the dungeon.

i dont know if its different healling a riftstalker than a warrior and the healer wasnt used to it? We've been clearing T2's since the first week of march, so its not like we don't know the dungeons.
    It is different, and a lot of it depends on you. When you first port in, burst will come in real hard. Once you get your **** up it isn't too bad.

Should go something like this on a naked start.
    Shadow Blitz/Assault/etc->1pt guarded steel(for threat purposes)->Shadow Blitz(If AOE)->~3Pt Rift Guard.

After that just be sure to keep up Guarded Steel, Rift Guard, and Flase Blade(if you're BD).

Rift Chaser

Don't take this the wrong way, i mean no offense, but with those specs, the only way you are getting rolled is if you, or your healer doesn't know how to play.

Considering you say the healer is normally fine, i guess that just leaves you.

What are you doing to get rolled?

Ascendant

You spike hard at the start of pulls, but after that we're probably the most smooth tanks, damage intake wise. Rogues tank by mitigation, so we tend to be a bit less streaky in comparison to the other tank classes. It's possible your tank gear might be a little weak compared to the warr as well. I have no T2 items and I have ~9900 HP and 25% avoidance with False Blade up.

Plane Touched

ill have to try 1 pt guarded steel and 3 pt rift guard...i was under the impression the rift shield i got for blinking in was good enough to last for a 5 pt rift guard. I havent played a riftstalker since lvl 30 maybe so i'm definitely a little rusty, and let me rephrase the getting rolled...i can tank the trash/bosses (we swapped just before warden) but it was pretty much a guarenteed death on some of the bigger AoE pulls (like the 2 right before warden)...but like i said, when we switched to our normal setup the warrior tank grabs em all and takes like no dmg and its dumb easy.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    You spike hard at the start of pulls, but after that we're probably the most smooth tanks, damage intake wise. Rogues tank by mitigation, so we tend to be a bit less streaky in comparison to the other tank classes. It's possible your tank gear might be a little weak compared to the warr as well. I have no T2 items and I have ~9900 HP and 25% avoidance with False Blade up.
    the only tank gear i have iare the t2 boots, the purple tank leather chest you can craft (conditioned leather jerkin) and some blue shoulders out of AP....everything else is dps gear..and everything in my sigil is dps...i have the planarite to buy another sigil of five, so ill try doing that and set it up with end essences.

Telaran

I have a lowbie RS tanking question if one of you wouldn't mind answering.

Is Twin Strike a reasonable combo building ability when AoE tanking?

Are there any tricks to gathering mobs together for AoE tanking when there are ranged mobs spread out? I'm currently using a combination of LoSing to clump them and Rift Prison on the lone mob not being tanked.

Still only level 34, and so I don't have the gathering ability.

Thanks in advance,

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Marne View Post
    I have a lowbie RS tanking question if one of you wouldn't mind answering.

Is Twin Strike a reasonable combo building ability when AoE tanking?

Are there any tricks to gathering mobs together for AoE tanking when there are ranged mobs spread out? I'm currently using a combination of LoSing to clump them and Rift Prison on the lone mob not being tanked.

Still only level 34, and so I don't have the gathering ability.

Thanks in advance,
    Just LoS until you get AE deathgrip (whatever it's called).
    Twin strike is meh. Better to just Shadow Blitz and RD on cooldown.

Rift Disciple

ill have to try 1 pt guarded steel and 3 pt rift guard...i was under the impression the rift shield i got for blinking in was good enough to last for a 5 pt rift guard. I havent played a riftstalker since lvl 30 maybe so i'm definitely a little rusty, and let me rephrase the getting rolled...i can tank the trash/bosses (we swapped just before warden) but it was pretty much a guarenteed death on some of the bigger AoE pulls (like the 2 right before warden)...but like i said, when we switched to our normal setup the warrior tank grabs em all and takes like no dmg and its dumb easy.
    You need Guarded Steel up for threat, and the shield you get from porting is FAR weaker than Rift Guard. Especially with a 51 point investment.

Give it a shot, feel free to come back with questions.

Champion

the only tank gear i have iare the t2 boots, the purple tank leather chest you can craft (conditioned leather jerkin) and some blue shoulders out of AP....everything else is dps gear..
    Uh that's your problem right there.

You are to far undergeared to tank T2s.

Look, back before experts you could roll in DPS gear and tank, in experts you can not. You will die and die often. If you do not want to invest in tanking as a rogue (You have to choose which to primarily gear first, especially since there isn't very many rogue tanking gear). If you are not interested in tanking for your own interests, then I suggest putting it down right now.
    Last edited by TheWeirdOne; 04-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdOne View Post
    Uh that's your problem right there.

You are to far undergeared to tank T2s.

Look, back before experts you could roll in DPS gear and tank, in experts you can not. You will die and die often. If you do not want to invest in tanking as a rogue (You have to choose which to primarily gear first, especially since there isn't very many rogue tanking gear). If you are not interested in tanking for your own interests, then I suggest putting it down right now.
    correct me if im wrong, but isn't toughness and HP the only real stats to worry about for tanking experts? or do i need 'x' amount of parry and dodge?

Champion

correct me if im wrong, but isn't toughness and HP the only real stats to worry about for tanking experts? or do i need 'x' amount of parry and dodge?
    You shouldn't mix and match DPS gear when you're tanking. That's why warrior tanks are having a far easier time then you are.

The small things like having all tank gear goes a long way in the long run, that's why you can't pick and choose DPS and tank as rogues because we literally have to pour EVERYTHING into tanking.

It could also be skill level with an RS tank or the healer, because some healers are better for RS tanks then War tanks.
    Last edited by TheWeirdOne; 04-04-2011 at 07:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast