+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Endgame melee DPS: NB/BD/Sin - Finisher spam build

Default Endgame melee DPS: NB/BD/Sin - Finisher spam build

Saw this spec in one of our theorycrafting threads and gave it a shot. To my surprise, the sustained damage seems pretty good. Thus far I've only tested in groups so I can't vouch for unbuffed DPS, but it's been beating my 42 NB build.

31 Nightblade / 18 Bladedancer / 17 Assassin
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...M0Vx0oc.VV0V0c

I'm at work and can't parse right now, but I'd love to see some parses. How does this stack up to other melee builds?

The idea is that BD energy return + 2x 2CP builders = finisher spam. Also, three of your CP builders (Quick, Precision, Dusk) get an extra 50% damage from AP, making them crit hard.

Is Heat Retention wasted with the finisher spam, though? Could those points be spent better elsewhere?

/discuss
    Villainelle
    <Momentum>
    DEFIANT | SHATTERBONE US

youre going pretty far into BD for that efficency, you are missing backstab, the best combo builder in these 3 trees, missing enkindle, which would give you a lot of extra dps since youre keeping fiery spike up, missing puncture, which is an amazing dot for 1 point, missing fell blades, which is an amazingly useful abilitiy endgame, and have wasted 5 points in autoattack (which is pitiful in this game) Fire and death would give the same returns as the 5 points i autoattack for only 3 points, and would give you additional protection from fire and death aoes, the 2 most common in the game. It might work, but honestly, I just dont see the energy starvation being a big enough deal to nerf your damage this much.

If you really want the build you have, id tweak a few thing, take 1 from blade finesse, put it in reprisal, and macro it with your spammable every time it procs. Pull the 2 from murderous blades, put them in BS/puncture instead, pull 2 from imp blazing strike and 1 from heat retention, throw those 3 in enkindle. And pull 1 from either nightstalker or heat retention to throw into blade tempo, keep it up on cooldown.

Philosophers are just forum trolls that existed before the internet.

Rift Disciple

Enkindle doesnt have any effect on fiery spike, only weapon flare and fiery chains which are aoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Villainelle View Post
    Saw this spec in one of our theorycrafting threads and gave it a shot. To my surprise, the sustained damage seems pretty good. Thus far I've only tested in groups so I can't vouch for unbuffed DPS, but it's been beating my 42 NB build.

I'm at work and can't parse right now, but I'd love to see some parses. How does this stack up to other melee builds?

The idea is that BD energy return + 2x 2CP builders = finisher spam. Also, three of your CP builders (Quick, Precision, Dusk) get an extra 50% damage from AP, making them crit hard.

Is Heat Retention wasted with the finisher spam, though? Could those points be spent better elsewhere?

/discuss
    Ive screwed with so many builds ad for DPS just as a Endgame Job done of melee DPS 51 /NB, 15 Assassin. you get a consistent 600 ST in T1 runs ive hit 3k on big trash pulls. ive a 51 point assassin build and its garbage compared to night blade for PVE end game melee. But with that said Rogue melee in this game leaves alot to be desired.

Shadowlander

17/19/30
    Assassin / Blade Dancer / Nightblade
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0V0s.VhtRoqx0o

Macro 1
    cast Puncture
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Twilight Force
    cast Fiery Spike

Macro 2
    cast Puncture
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Twilight Force
    cast Savage Strike

Macro 3
    cast Scourge of Darkness
    cast Blazing Strike

1 > 1> 1 (until you get 3 fiery spikes)
    2 > 2 > 2 (until mob dies)
    3 every time you have 4-5 combo points

- add one fiery spike when scourge of darkness triggers so that it does not ever fall off

ps. You could take 1 pt from NB and add it to Backstab and add cast Backstab right above cast Savage Strike if you like.
    ---------------
    With good gear this averages about 725 dps on the training dummy selfbuffed without Dark Malady over a 2 minute test (which is the max cooldown for skills) so this should be sustainable.

- note: your AOE dps is horrible in this spec
    - note: if you cannot melee 100% of the fight your DPS will drop
    - note: warriror and mages still will own you single target while trippling you on AOE dps in this spec so QQ is still allowed and encouraged.

-------------
    I challenge anyone to find a better build than this single target that parse higher over 2 minutes.

Rift Disciple

Hmm, I'm actually really curious to try this. I'd like to find points for Eventide and twilight fury though.

I was thinking of testing this build once I hit 50 and get some okay gear.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fV0bM.VhxMhoMM

Guess this build is just to see how high I can get the damage from weapon enchants. Probably won't yield the highest DPS, but would be interesting to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I was thinking of testing this build once I hit 50 and get some okay gear.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fV0bM.VhxMhoMM

Guess this build is just to see how high I can get the damage from weapon enchants. Probably won't yield the highest DPS, but would be interesting to see how it works out.
    It's going to be bad. You know you can only have 2 enhancements total right? You've spent 10 points on them. And 8 of those points are in "poison specific" ones, so you wouldn't be using hellfire blades, so you have points misplaced all over the place.

Plane Walker

I actually just tried this build, at least it's almost the exact same. I found it to be consistently lower dps than 42 nb 18 sin 6 ranger, although I never used the dex buff since in a raid environment it would be overwritten every time. I got about 664 average on the bd version and 700 on the ranger version. I still needed practice on the bd version(as it's significantly more complicated) so I probably could have increased that by a bit, but not by 30+. In the bd build you have to pay a lot of attention to optimizing combo point usage so you can't simply macro spam, else you will waste a combo point here or there. Similarly you will also end up not casting the 2pt abilities at times as they require more energy and the macro will default to the 1 pt skills. Basically I don't see the point of going a more complicated build that gives worse results.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    I actually just tried this build, at least it's almost the exact same. I found it to be consistently lower dps than 42 nb 18 sin 6 ranger, although I never used the dex buff since in a raid environment it would be overwritten every time. I got about 664 average on the bd version and 700 on the ranger version. I still needed practice on the bd version(as it's significantly more complicated) so I probably could have increased that by a bit, but not by 30+. In the bd build you have to pay a lot of attention to optimizing combo point usage so you can't simply macro spam, else you will waste a combo point here or there. Similarly you will also end up not casting the 2pt abilities at times as they require more energy and the macro will default to the 1 pt skills. Basically I don't see the point of going a more complicated build that gives worse results.
    The point of this build is so that you CAN macro spam.
    When you use your finisher it gives you 15 energy + a 1 second global cooldown. (during the 1sec global you gain the other 25e) so you can spam the macro and it uses whichever 2pt ability is available. Keeping Fiery spike on makes each finisher Add 1 combo point and with two 2pt abilities you almost always get 3 combo points in two button presses. This is super easy to do.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Silverghost01 View Post
    When you use your finisher it gives you 15 energy + a 1 second global cooldown. (during the 1sec global you gain the other 25e) so you can spam the macro and it uses whichever 2pt ability is available. Keeping Fiery spike on makes each finisher Add 1 combo point and with two 2pt abilities you almost always get 3 combo points in two button presses. This is super easy to do.
    Macro spamming alone will not optimize dps for reasons stated in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaris888 View Post
    youre going pretty far into BD for that efficency, you are missing backstab, the best combo builder in these 3 trees, missing enkindle, which would give you a lot of extra dps since youre keeping fiery spike up, missing puncture, which is an amazing dot for 1 point, missing fell blades, which is an amazingly useful abilitiy endgame, and have wasted 5 points in autoattack (which is pitiful in this game) Fire and death would give the same returns as the 5 points i autoattack for only 3 points, and would give you additional protection from fire and death aoes, the 2 most common in the game. It might work, but honestly, I just dont see the energy starvation being a big enough deal to nerf your damage this much.

If you really want the build you have, id tweak a few thing, take 1 from blade finesse, put it in reprisal, and macro it with your spammable every time it procs. Pull the 2 from murderous blades, put them in BS/puncture instead, pull 2 from imp blazing strike and 1 from heat retention, throw those 3 in enkindle. And pull 1 from either nightstalker or heat retention to throw into blade tempo, keep it up on cooldown.
    1) Backstab is not the best CP builder. It's actually got a pretty poor energy/damage ratio. The 3 CP builders I mentioned (Quick, Precision, Dusk) are all better and benefit from AP. With this build you'll be using them constantly.

2) Enkindle is garbage, and you are only using Hellfire Blades for the +dmg buff.

3) Fell Blades is not needed in group content. Mage or warrior will debuff healing.

4) Reprisal is rarely used in group PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverghost01 View Post
    ^ What he said.

Silverghost, interesting tweaks on the basic build. I'll have to try out taking Blade Tempo and dropping a point from something else.

Don't care for Flame Thrust and Fire and Death Attunement. FDA seems worthless, and Flame Thrust is situational. The +dmg from Nightstalker isn't testable on dummies, but it's pretty huge.
    Last edited by Villainelle; 04-03-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Villainelle
    <Momentum>
    DEFIANT | SHATTERBONE US

Thinking of testing this out later http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...z0qL0oc.VV0V0s
    Popping Ebon Fury + Blade Tempo + Dusk Strike when anything is below 30% would cause some serious damage.
    True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Thinking of testing this out later http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...z0qL0oc.VV0V0s
    Popping Ebon Fury + Blade Tempo + Dusk Strike when anything is below 30% would cause some serious damage.
    Unfortunately Blade Tempo increases physical damage. Dusk Strike, fiery spike, and flame strike all are elemental damage.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Villainelle View Post

/discuss
    Well, if you're spamming finishers and only using 3 combo point generating moves per finisher, you shouldn't need all 5 points in heat retention. You'll only be getting 5/5 every other finisher either way. You could drop 2 into eventide and I think that would be a dps boost. I'll try to parse it in the am.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast