+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue as viable tanks 20-50, experts and raid ?

Soulwalker

Default Rogue as viable tanks 20-50, experts and raid ?

With all depressive posts on the forum, its hard keeping a positive attitude when playing my rogue. My main aim for my rogue is to tank in PVE. The rogue mechanics make it interesting and is different to tanks in other games.

I just want to know how viable rogues are as tanks or is it more of a gimick.
    So how are they at maintaining threat? at damage reduction ? compared to warrior tanks.

Cleric tanks remind me too much of paladins in other games and refuse to roll one for the purpose of tanking.

Rift Disciple

Rogue tanks are viable for endgame PvE content, regardless of how many people ***** about it.

If you browse through the RS tree you'll see how were maintaining damage reduction and threat, most of it comes from Guardian Phase and Rift Guard.

I have no problem main tanking in greenscale on my rogue
    Inglorious Basterds
    Whitefall EU PvP
    Aleteh - 50 Rogue
    5/5 GSB - 2/4 RoS - 4/4 GP

Shadowlander

Default something to keep in mind

While we have good mitigation and avoidance once everything is rolling, keep in mind that we go in as nothing more than a slightly beefy rogue. It takes 3 finishers to bring us on par with other tanks who can walk into a fight at max mitigation and avoidance.

There are tricks like phase shifting in to get a small barrier up or popping a defensive cooldown off the bat that help. You just need to make sure your healers understand that you are most heal intensive in the first few global cooldowns.

This initial "squishiness" has never been a problem for me but it is something you need to be aware of and plan for accordingly.

Champion

I'll say this right now, Rogues have the highest TPS of all tanks, at least on single targets.

If you see a warrior pulling "threat" from you, they really aren't, they just have a multitude of taunts that Rogue tanks do not get.

And our initial squishiness is easy to overcome, as someone else said, pop a defensive cooldown if you're having trouble (I'm pretty sure we get the most "Oh ****" out of any other tank.) You can also do what I do and pull from maximum range with the ranger skill quickshot. This way RG is up and it's easy for the healer to keep you up- as you put up your other buffs.

The only thing I disagree with what the poster above me said is that were squishier then other tanks until all our finishers are up, we aren't. We are squisihier then other tanks until RG is up, then we have the most mitigation in the game, and I personally believe we are on par too.
    Last edited by TheWeirdOne; 04-03-2011 at 09:31 AM.

I played around with Bard Tanking in beta, have a build now in my 3rd role but have not had time to practice it yet. One thing that I found when I was trying it was it was difficult for me to hold agro on more than one opponent. Is there a solution for that?
    Last edited by Kemoc; 04-03-2011 at 09:38 AM.

AoE question: Unfortunately, no in my opinion. Holding AoE aggro is our weak point from what I've seen. It isn't terrible, just nowhere near as good as Warrior and Cleric tanks.

Can Rogues tank? Absolutely. I have tanked in T-1, T-2, and at raid rifts. Spec for it. Gear for it. Practice.
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

Rift Disciple

So far I'm having 0 problems with AOE threat in experts, pop in with Shadow Blitz->1pt Guarded Steel-> Rift Disturbance->Standard Rotation

Soulwalker

Thanks for all your replys, the rogue forums have been a dark place recently, least there iis still a ray of light for us.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by HalfMind View Post
    So far I'm having 0 problems with AOE threat in experts, pop in with Shadow Blitz->1pt Guarded Steel-> Rift Disturbance->Standard Rotation
    You will have more problems in T2s.

I got new weapons and it's not that hard anymore though, although I still tell DPS to hit what I'm hitting.

When they ignore me they tend to die.
    Last edited by TheWeirdOne; 04-04-2011 at 12:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread