+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that bad?

Soulwalker

Default Is it really that bad?

Hello!

I'm leveling a rogue, and I find it to be rather fun. Then one day I browsed the rogue forums, and got a bit disappointed about the negativeness. Most players don't really back up what they say so it's hard to get a general understanding about the state of the rogue calling, but yet the general view people have seem to be negative ones.

I mostly care for PvE; To wish for balanced PvP this early in a game is exaggerated. I don't mind having a tougher time than other callings, but if played perfectly I wish to be wanted in e.g. raids. I would think it is safe to assume that among all these souls there must be some combination that is viable, no?

tldr: Is it possible to be viable as a rogue if played with uttermost perfection?

yes and no. you will do the dps of a semi lazy warrior if you put in a 110% effort, you will be out dpsed by a warrior paying attention or is in a good dps spec. Without 32 points in NB you wont kill anything with self heals, with 32 points in nb you still have to sit there for 5 minutes until the cleric is out of mana

Shadowlander

Very viable and we can still pull top dps in T1 and T2 experts.
    -------
    Nakor - level 50 Rogue Greybriar
    Old Timer's Guild
    Previous MMOs: Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, WAR, Aion, LOTRO, and now Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakur View Post
    Very viable and we can still pull top dps in T1 and T2 experts.
    If the group is full of other Rogues sure. But with a Warrior or Mage that isnt ******ed yea dont think so.

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Avi
    Telaran

If you're enjoying yourself, keep playing it until it isn't. That's what I did.
    I've played many many MMOs, and the golden rule is that the nerf bat does not discriminate. Soon enough, Rogues will have their day, and you'll be glad to levelled yours, even if you shelved it a while to play a Mage to get groups and help your guild. Don't compare yourself to others, you'll have more fun :P

That said, Rogues can be ok, certainly won't beat any other DPS spec with equal skill/gear/diligence, but that, as with everything else in MMOs, is subject to change.

Plane Touched

My friend told me he was going to try rift. The first thing I told him was to not read the forums. When you look at a forum, and see 18 thread titles that are very similar and somehow they ALL have 6+ pages of replies... you get the jist. Just learn to filter what you read here, take everything with a grain of salt, believe half ignore the rest, whatever it is you have to do to get what you are looking for. There is good info on here, but there are a lot more naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    If you're enjoying yourself, keep playing it until it isn't. That's what I did.
    I've played many many MMOs, and the golden rule is that the nerf bat does not discriminate. Soon enough, Rogues will have their day, and you'll be glad to levelled yours, even if you shelved it a while to play a Mage to get groups and help your guild. Don't compare yourself to others, you'll have more fun :P

That said, Rogues can be ok, certainly won't beat any other DPS spec with equal skill/gear/diligence, but that, as with everything else in MMOs, is subject to change.
    Probably one of the best posts I've read here in awhile +rep

Play what you will have fun with and everything else will work itself out. I went 1-50 as a Ranger with my Piggie tank and had a blast, just enjoy the game and stop reading all the posts. Also, you will find the same whining posts in the Warrior, Cleric & Mage forums as well.

There are some builds that are good for some stuff.

-None are as good as warrior in a PVE group.

-Any modestly well thought out ranger combination will be great at solo PVE

-Any assassin combination with stealth skills will be great at sneaking around PVE and leaching posion will let you chain kill mobs.

-Nightblade is your best bet for PVP damage you have to have 32 for the anti heal proc.

-A pure Marksman is LOW on damage.

-Bladedancer can do good damage one on one with mobs but relies too much on dodge for group PVE and PVP in general.

-Riftstalker builds can make you you a reasonable PVE tank and can make for some fun tactics mixed in with other builds, but its not particularly powerful.

I dont play bards and sabos.

Over all were the weakest class for everything but solo PVE, but you can make it passable.
    Last edited by Ghoest9; 04-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Quixos View Post
    Hello!

I'm leveling a rogue, and I find it to be rather fun. Then one day I browsed the rogue forums, and got a bit disappointed about the negativeness. Most players don't really back up what they say so it's hard to get a general understanding about the state of the rogue calling, but yet the general view people have seem to be negative ones.

I mostly care for PvE; To wish for balanced PvP this early in a game is exaggerated. I don't mind having a tougher time than other callings, but if played perfectly I wish to be wanted in e.g. raids. I would think it is safe to assume that among all these souls there must be some combination that is viable, no?

tldr: Is it possible to be viable as a rogue if played with uttermost perfection?
    1st; dont believe the haters and QQers. Rogues are still pretty damn good. My brother and I play the builds others say are crap (assassin and blade dancer) and there is nothing crap about us. He does some pretty serious single target burst DPS and my sustained and AoE is damn good too. They are fun and useful.

Now, with that said, I think rogues are the bottom of the barrel. We need to get into melee (which can take time especially if stealth) and are VERY squishy. So any boss mob with an AoE turns you into a healing mana sponge. Regardless of how solid your DPS is, a warrior will be better then you there cause he is not squishy. And obviously ranged is superior in those encounters.

I used to think the rogue tank was a great build too but that was pre level 40. I am still a viable option and not too squishy but compared to a warrior (especially the paladin soul) there is NO reason to have me tank. Hell, even as an off tank I am sub-par because a beastmaster (or any other warrior DPS) can have a splash of defensive soul and be as tough or tougher then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychodad75 View Post
    Rogues are still pretty damn good. My brother and I play the builds others say are crap (assassin and blade dancer) and there is nothing crap about us. He does some pretty serious single target burst DPS...
    No really its not all that good.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
    There are some builds that are good for some stuff.

-Any assassin combination with stealth skills will be great at sneaking around PVE and leaching posion will let you chain kill mobs.
    Leaching poison is sort of a joke though. Better off throwing the points in Rifter to get the heal off unused CP.

We're not viable by comparison to other classes. We need to put in much more effort with precise timing and quick thinking to do what...well...other classes can do in a couple of attacks. Furthermore, we soak up damage poorly due to low health and poor damage resistance.

Soulwalker

It undoubtedly looks like there are some issues nonetheless. I'm fine with that. However, has it come to the point where rogues are bluntly denied spots in raids or instances?

I'll assume this "balance" patch is not the last one, and the next patch hits before me hitting 50.

Well, after reading about the other callings they showed themselves to be the unappealing, so I'll just turn on my "QQ filter" and chop on until boredom strikes, (or the future raid leader lets the door hit me on my way out from the raid)!

Thanks for the input!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Solbranthius View Post
    We're not viable by comparison to other classes. We need to put in much more effort with precise timing and quick thinking to do what...well...other classes can do in a couple of attacks. Furthermore, we soak up damage poorly due to low health and poor damage resistance.
    That one fact is welcomed, I wish not for mindless macro smashing.

Meh. I'm pulling my weight in raids, but warriors still cheese their way to the top with little effort. Mages are stronger as well, but it's not as irritating to watch.

1. Don't listen to anyone that gives you some unconventional build claiming they are doing well. They aren't. They have simply surrounded themselves with bad players and look good in comparison. None of these people raid GSB.

2. Rogue DPS is either par and everything else is overpowered or we are sub-par with buffs incoming. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see warrior and mage damage getting nerfed before we get buffed.

3. Marksman is probably the worst soul in the game. Hopefully, this will be buffed and subsequently give us a viable ranged build when used in conjunction with Ranger.

4. If you learn to Rogue tank, you will probably be one of ten people on your server that do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast