+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So this is how I leveled as melee...

Soulwalker

Default So this is how I leveled as melee...

I’ve been primarily melee most of my levels. There have been times I have tried playing Ranger or Saboteur just to try it out but I always come back to melee. Stabbing something to death speaks to me more than shooting it or blowing it up. Call me crazy... Go ahead... I dare you...

This way of leveling is primarily single target takedowns. I just enjoy choosing my target, appearing out of nowhere and gutting it then disappearing into the shadows. So if you’re looking for an AoE grinding build this isn’t it. Sorry!

So we’ll start with the three souls I chose: Assassin/Nightblade/Riftstalker

Assassin eventually turns into my primary soul but I didn’t take any points in it until after level 16. To begin with it is just there for Virulent Poison. After level 16 you can go Bladedancer or keep going down Nightblade instead of Assassin but I wrote this as an Assassin. I just prefer the Assassin’s openers and finishers and all of the utility abilities and talents they are given.

So level 8: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiMp.Vc

The first ability I really went after was Lost Hope. It works wonderfully for singling out a target or just making a target sit still. It prevents the target from attacking you when you’re sneaking up to him to Assassinate or Jagged Strike. You don’t have to be in melee range to use it like Incapacitate. The mob will not enter combat with you so after you kill your main target you can sneak back into the shadows and use an opener again. It truly is my favorite ability! (Because I said that watch them nerf it...)

Rotation is pretty simple: Ebon Terror > Fiery Spike until it’s in melee > Primal Strikes > Blazing Strike

Level 16: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiMp.Vc..Vhbh

I feel Rift Scavenger is the next must have. Healing 6% per combo when the mob dies is amazing. This ability is the whole reason Coup De Grace isn’t taken yet. You want to do as much damage as possible with your combo builders and passive damage instead of your finishers because you want the mob to die with a few combos on it. Every single time the mob dies to a finisher you don’t get healed. Boosted Recovery and Great Fortitude boost it even further.

Rotation: Same as before but I never try to kill with Blazing Strike. If the mob is close to death just keep using Primal Strike. You can use Blazing Strike to finish it if you don’t need healing.

At this point you can start going down your other preferred trees. This really creates a foundation for melee leveling. The rest of my post is just how I did it and what I found to be effective.
    Last edited by Xannon; 04-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Soulwalker

Level 23: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiMp.Vc.0Vo.Vhbh

Assassinate and Puncture are great for building up quick combos. I don’t want to get it nerfed but I have to mention that Incapacitate and Lost Hope work independent of each other. Depending on spacing I often use Lost Hope on a mob, move in and Incapacitate it then use Lost Hope on another mob, and finally kill my target. A three mob pull is now one. (Watch them nerf it...)

Rotation: Assassinate > Puncture > Primal Strike > Blazing Strike > Primal Strikes

Level 27: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiMp.Vc.0ARbz.Vhbh

Silent Footsteps reduces the movement penalty on Stealth to 0% so you move just as fast as you do out of Stealth and the mobs see through your stealth less often. Cloak and Dagger gives you way more damage than Serrated Blades does and it reduces the damage you take. And Blinding Powder is wonderful when you accidentally get an add.

Rotation: Expose Weakness first as it does not break stealth, then the same rotation as above.

Level 34: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0ARbp0bod.Vhbh

This is where things really start to get good. I love Improved Stealth more than it will ever know. This talent makes every “go touch this thing” quest a breeze. You can finally interrupt a spell with Foul Play or just stop the damage the mob does for a few seconds. Leaching Poison keeps your health up so now you can finish the mob with a finisher more often if you like. And Subterfuge changes every opening to Assassinate > Puncture > Finisher!

Rotation: Expose Weakness > Assassinate > Puncture > Blazing Strike > Primal Strikes
    Last edited by Xannon; 04-03-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Level 40: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rft0bodbk.Vhbh

I really changed things up at 40. I started really using my bleeds more. Jagged Strike, Puncture, and Impale ignore armor so it doesn’t matter what you’re fighting, they’ll all bleed to death at the same pace (and you really start feeling like you’re gutting them now...) They start dying so quickly that I often can’t even build up 5 combo points after I hit Impale. Mobs die before the cooldown on Stealth is up so you’ll often just find yourself standing there waiting. I dropped Primal Death for Coup De Grace to buff Impale. And I started using Savage Strike with Improved Savage Strike to help keep Serrated Blades and Cruel Vengeance up. At this point the bleeds do so much damage I am really only using Savage Strike to build combos for Rift Scavenger. Expose Weakness adds damage to each bleed tick so I sometimes just refresh it if I have enough combos to keep myself at 100% health. And Slip Away is just brilliant. You should barely ever die now (I say as I look at my Vitality...)

Rotation: Expose Weakness > Jagged Strike > Puncture > Impale > Savage Strikes and reapplying Expose Weakness

Level 45: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...t0bodbk.VhbG0a

This is where I started really playing around with Plane Shifting. Stalker Phase and Ruthless Stalker really bump up the damage. I prefer Shadow Stalk over Shadow Assault. You don’t want to use Shadow Assault to break out of Stealth because Jagged Strike is just too good.

At this point there are a few ways to start the fight depending on which of your Plane Shift abilities aren’t on cooldown. You can Shadow Stalk then just do your regular opening. If it’s on cooldown you can throw in Shadow Assault right after Jagged Strike (you waste a combo point but I like to boost Puncture and Impale.) You can do the same thing with Shadow Blitz if they’re both on cooldown just for Ruthless Stalker but you need to watch out for mobs you incapacitated. And you can always Shadow Shift to activate Ruthless Stalker if everything else is on cooldown or you can’t use Shadow Blitz.

And this is where I leave you! By this point you’ll have changed most of what I do or moved onto bigger and better AoE methods. Maybe you just got bored and tried something else. Or you’ll have figured it all out for yourself. Anyway, this is how I did it and I hope it helped!
    Last edited by Xannon; 04-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Good post. Thanks for the info. I'll try it.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless. That is your oath...Rise a Knight."

I prefer leaching poison builds to rift scavenger builds for leveling.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

Soulwalker

Thanks! This guide has been helping me

I found BD/assa/RS to be the easiest lvling build for me.
    2/3 mobs on me wasn't much of a problem, I could mostly just go in and kill without having to worry too much, with little downtime.
    I agree, I don't find rangers all that great for pve.

Shadowlander

I'm doing almost the same thing leveling my second rogue(wanted to make a guardian).

except per 30 im using 4 point ranger for the pig, my hopes is that the pig will replace Rift Scavenger till 30ish

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiMN.Vhto0z..m

+ Reply to Thread