+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest your mind, for I have found the best pvp spec.

Plane Touched

Default Rest your mind, for I have found the best pvp spec.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...o.VhtzG0gRoo.m
    32NB/30RNG/4RS

A lil' more Nightblade than Ranger points-wise, but you still predominantly play as ranged.

Kill Ratio: 12-1 on average
    Damage to Kill Ratio: 10k-1 on average
    Gear: Rank 4 + Compound Bow
    Targets: Ain't no life I can't snatch

Rotation-wise, it's a fairly straightforward of Crippling, Piercing into Quick x 3 followed up by Scourge of Darkness. I have yet to see anyone survive rotation two on their own. Rotation three kills those getting chain-healed, period. You can fire off a earlier Headshot for a slight damage increase, but when you're already dropping 1200* dps on someone's head does increasing it to 1260dps really make a difference?

Defensive and escape tools are pretty generous, though I'd reccommend kiting warriors/shaman/rogues inside their charge range** to utilize the dual snares. Escape Artist blows pretty much any other rogue root break, aside from Untangle, out of the water and Shadow Shift is phenomenal for creating distance. With proper valor kit and some fire resist planars you can easily sit at 50% Fire or Death mitigation, though I'd imagine this feature is somewhat common to all Nightblade heavy builds. One on one, you can pop Twilight Shelter and murder a pyro in his doom circle*** and show him what the term 'damage reduction' really means. Seriously, try it. Amaze both him and yourself.

Stealth openers are nice if they happen but the build doesn't rely on them... but if you've got SOD charged up, might as well drop a Smother on that cleric or mage and end it in six.

The only downside to this build is that Prey on the Weak has a helluva time triggering against Archmages and Templars due to the wolf's relatively low crit rate. For the most part, I usually send the dog after a rogue or warrior while I'm building up to SOD, then put them back on target.

Kindest Regards,
    Muz

*offer only valid for ten seconds out of every thirty... helluva ten seconds though.

**offer not valid for 'baddies' and folks on dial-up

***for the pant****ting crybabbies who'll say 'Twilight Shelter ruins your dps', most pyros run about 4.5-5.5hp... if you can't burn through that in ten seconds perhaps this game is not for you. Bonus points if you figure out what isn't affected by popping Twilight Shelter.
    Last edited by food; 04-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Plane Walker

I've been running 33NB/33MM/0Inf. I might swap out the MM for ranger. I'm suspicious that you are as effective as you make it sound considering I'm nowhere near as effective with my MM and NB, but hey I guess it's possible.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlebomb View Post
    I've been running 33NB/33MM/0Inf. I might swap out the MM for ranger. I'm suspicious that you are as effective as you make it sound considering I'm nowhere near as effective with my MM and NB, but hey I guess it's possible.
    Marks doesn't provide the constant pressure the dog does. When Fell Blades hits, she negates the majority of bard and warden hots which is something marks just doesn't have the tools to do, so you're constantly fighting an uphill battle.

I rolled every conceivable Marks build trying to get similar results... but all it really does well is Cloudy Poison and Fell Blades spam with Fan Out. It's a great tool for group pvp and it will win games, but it's also sorta 'meh' and not all that fun.

Plane Walker

Most interesting. I will try this build.

Shadowlander

Gonna try it now and run some WFs we shall see.

sounds good. im still having the most success in group pvp as saboteur tho. sure spamming blast charge is boring but hella effective, especially in group pvp on vent with 2 other saboteurs. we can still auto-gimp any 1 person out there, even if they are high in their pvp tree.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Soulwalker

Currently trying out this spec on a fresh 50 with meh gear. So far, so good. I'm able to kite melee classes, kill them, and live, something I wasn't able to do as a Sin or NB. With my 'meh' gear it's a little harder to spam down a healer, but it is happening, something I also couldn't do on any other spec but sabo. Overall, I think once I get some nice gear it's going to roll defiant.

Plane Touched

I appreciate the build...

I tired it and found it a lot more effective than a pure NB (good dps but can be easily kited), the assassin (too low dot dps and can be easily kited) and the SIn/BD combo (what I have been using with the charge etc, balanced survivability/dps)..

The main advantages I noticed compared to the melee specs was the range. Simple enough, I'm not in range of most of their attacks.

The second key element to this build imho is the healing debuff combined with SOB, which stacks really nicely.

Twilight shelter is also very nice when you get caught off-guard but I fear (maybe it's just me) but if you et caught out by a melee rogue, especially if they have BD in heir spec.. then there's not a lot you can do.

Overall, nice, better than the other specs, especially in my gear (Rank2)
    "Awesome group seeks 4 more"

I'll have to give this a try! I love MM/NB for playing in premades with but this looks considerably better for running solo or world pvp.

Soulwalker

might try this.

Newfound MM/NB here, I. Actually like it cause the consistently better pressure it does than marks/ranger. I may try range/nb, but I didn't really care for ranger to begin with. I disagree that marks/nb doesn't have pressure with the silence and 59% healing out of nb

Is trick shot really bad enough that you would instead invest in Imp Escape Artist? Or maybe I dont see the benefit of doubling your pets CC immunity.

Telaran

So I assume this only works when you are high enough level to go deep in NB as well as Ranger? At level 34 I tried a few WF's with my 30ish Ranger, 10 NB, 4 RS spec (my leveling spec) and I really could not kill anyone. In fact, there were many players that I could not move their health bar even when wailing all out on them with everything I had. It was almost comical how little effect I had as Ranger - not even as annoying as a gnat.

I have a much better time using my full support bard spec in WF's because the healing at least helps the team somewhat. I will definitely keep trying this ranger/NB spec for PvP as I level up more though. Until then my ranger is only good for comic relief in WF's.

Shadowlander

tried 32nb, 34MM, was also fine, like spamming aoe for aoe heal debuff, but gonna test urs too.

Some things i wonder: why no blood raptor? since u have the heal debuff from Fell Blades, u won't need the heal debuff from the wolf.

Killing Focus: isn't it only white hit increase? or am i wrong?

I modified it a bit, just testing arround abit: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...o.VhtMG0gMoo.m

ps: ok i know now why no blood raptor ^^ no points left :P
    ps2: if killing focus count for overall dmg, then i would remove 2 points from enduring and add it on Killing Focus

other idea would be: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...oaz.VhtMG0gMoo for having the dodge buff just some ideas :P
    Last edited by Demikun; 04-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by AkulaX View Post
    Is trick shot really bad enough that you would instead invest in Imp Escape Artist? Or maybe I dont see the benefit of doubling your pets CC immunity.
    Improved Escape Artist doubles your cc immunity, from four seconds to eight seconds, or what I like to call 'magic time'. What it does for the dog... who gives a ****?

It's an entirely single target focused build and it does it extremely well, so I don't bother with Trick Shot.

Other questions:

Gear: I've found this spec will absolutely punch above it's weight for what you have equipped, though I really can't stress stacking crit enough. The higher your natural crit, the better the dog leading to more Prey on the Weak up time.

Killing Focus: Pretty sure it affects all abilities but it's a minor bonus at best or about 20 extra damage, give or take, on a Quick Shot. Exposure yields about the same return, with slightly better numbers as the targets armor gets heavier. Situational versus all the time, but the points could be spent either way in all fairness.

Is this a max level build: Yep, sans the heal debuff or the 30 point dog, it suffers. Combine them and something magical happens.

Variations on the build: the 32 in Nightblade is mandatory and I'd say at least 27 into Ranger as well, the remaining points are ultimately discretionary. I like a bit harder hitting dog and the ability to go 'heh, over here *****es' but I've found Sin and Sab also make decent third souls as well. I guess you could throw Infiltrator in, but Break Free is such **** compared to Escape Artist it's not even funny and ignoring 10% of someone's armor when my biggest hits are magic damage based seems useless. Also, not sexually attracted to fire so I don't spend a great deal of time standing in aoe's, but ymmv.

Pets: Dog > Raptor, cuz it's a giant ****ing wolf.

Kindest Regards,
    Muz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast