+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sab Ranged DPS Spec

Default Sab Ranged DPS Spec

I would like to tweak my rdps sab build and maybe some people have some suggestions/comments to help work on this build. I do not want to be an mdps... there are way too many encounters that hose melee in this game. I think the reason warriors do so much damage was to offset boss mechanics which work against melee, and don't see any issue with losing up to 100 dps from staying at range.

Here's what I've currently come up with:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...M0c0xosomz.V0h

Rotation is 5x Spike, 5x Shrapnel.

DPS with my gear is at about 580, on boss fights in T2s it ranges from 400-600.

Here are some things I've figured out from playing around trying to tweak the build:

5x Spike and 5x Shrapnel beats 5x Spike and 4x Shrapnel
    Adding piercing shot, even maxed, will drop your dps
    Adding heatshot into the rotation will drop your dps
    Adding the trapper and running into melee range for barbed trap will drop your dps (because of ranger talents)

I'm going to try to take some points out of ranger and put them into nightblade... go with the wolf for dps. The raptor does 90 dps on the dummy, usually 110 in game and the wolf does 90. The wolf is all single target and has a healing debuff, so I don't see it as too much of a loss but haven't tested it out. Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-02-2011 at 06:27 AM.

No, please don't.

Use this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMcx0b.V0x0h

When you throw 2 ranged dps souls together whenever you're using one or the other you negate all of the points of the other soul instead of making them all work in unison.
    Last edited by Protokill; 04-02-2011 at 06:44 AM.

That ranged build will work ok (not Mage numbers or anything) problem is if you pet dis DPS will drop but the hasten call helps that a lot. So if you pay attention and can pull your pet out (Wolf might actually work better for this as the Raptor is slow to get out)

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Protokill View Post
    No, please don't.

Use this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMcx0b.V0x0h

When you throw 2 ranged dps souls together whenever you're using one or the other you negate all of the points of the other soul instead of making them all work in unison.
    Is this ideal for pve or pvp?

Soulwalker

Personally I would rather have full in sab for the end result. 51 points gives you an instant amount of charges and combo points. Here's what I like on mine.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...EdtkkRz.0VM.Vc

I haven't tested the nightblade, but when it says increases damage of your combo point abilities I feel it's the damage when a point is generated. This combo points on a sab don't do anything, detonate does damage based off how many combo points you have.

This is also a bit more for pvp.

Ranger with Sabo does actually mesh well together. I've been running a very similar build for several days now. I don't use Rain of Arrows. There's no need, especially with talented Shrapnel Charge. I also put 2 points in Bestial Fury. A minute long 5% damage buff is worth using Head Shot. You could even do 4 charges -> Head Shot -> 1 charge -> Detonate. That's a 4 CP Head shot followed by a 5 charge Detonate of whatever charges you used, only thing you're giving up is 4 CP worth of extra Detonate damage (or 3 CP, if you spec Opportunity).

The wolf pet is not worth using with a ranged build, assuming this build is for non melee-friendly fights. It will die much easier than even the Raptor does due to having 500+ fewer HP, and its DPS is much lower as well. However, the wolf can be used for a myriad of Ranger/melee hybrid builds, with the intention of being used in melee-friendly encounters.
    I'm raging with ire, an ocean of fire.
    My Wrath is the path to all I desire.

Here's what I've come up with now.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EM0c0xoc.V0xMh

Or some close variant of this. Please only serious posters who know what they're talking about. I'd obviously only be using sab attacks and ranger is only for the pet.

Using this I'm hitting 590 or so dps single target. Pet dying is an issue, but I've found there are no encounters where the pet dies that are dps races.

Soulwalker

Default testing so far not bad

i have been testing this

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0f0xocoVz.V0xz

Feral instincts -- Hellfire blades

rotation

shadow fire -- splinter shot -- fiery spike // head shot (only as opener)

5x spike charge // detonate

Fiery spike -- splinter shot --2x fiery spike // detonate

use head shot every min for the buff!!

I only tested it for a while but it gives me a steady 600 dps nice and easy i m sure if ppl test it more can find more dps options.As for my question i would like 2 add shadow fire in the rotation since i plan 2 use the greater essence that gives 100ap when using shadow fire.

So do some tests with shadow fire, quick shot, blast charge and tell me if you find better than sustained 610-620 dps
    You can take and abjust the tree according to what you test.Range from sabo for improved blast endurance for quick shot for ranger.+ you can take the 1 point from huntman and add it no nightbalde fire and death att.

Plz if you try tell me if the sharpnel blast does more dps than splinter including the proc all shots give and maintain a steady 5% from hellfire.

enjoy and thx in advance.
    Last edited by Blackor; 04-02-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Your build gave me an idea and here's what I tried.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Mcf0xoc.V0xkhV

Initial Rotation:

Shadow Fire - Splinter - Quick shot - Head Shot
    Fiery Spike - Fiery Spike - Fiery Spike - Flame Thrust

Regular rotation:

Spike x5 - Detonate
    Fiery Spike - Splinter - Shadow Fire - Flame Thrust

I'm hitting 615 dps with a quick rotation I put together. I'm sure with more tweaks someone can push this to 650. Lets continue to work on this and get some real numbers going.

I also like using the wolf because in fights where pets die it will generally continue to die. Might as well use a wolf, and in pet unfriendly fights you'll still be getting some good dps. The wolf in my experience comes in at around 80, with the raptor at 100. The raptor generally parses higher then that because it has an aoe, and I'm interested in single target dps.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Personally I would use something like this for expert dungeons:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...yd0koR.0AM0xcb

The thing with Sabs is that our charges are are not considered physical they are poison that do physical based damage (makes it really confusing and I still sometimes wonder if some buffs effect them or not). So if you are looking for a group high DPS I would go with something like I posted.

Nightblade is hands down awesome with the abilities you get at the bottom of the tree. 15% damage bonus to all charges, finishers, and 9% overall to non physical attacks (non melee it should really say as I think that is how it is factored). It also lets you open up from stealth with a 20 yard ranged attack that buffs your damage by 20% for 8 seconds. (enough to put 5 charges and detonate). Gives you SAP too which some groups utilize especially newer ones with a new tank.

Assassin tree is mainly going to boost your damage. You gain 5% crit. The cruel vengence buff where you get 10% more dmg when you crit actually when used with shrapnel charges always will proc off a shrapnel charge now due to it being factored as seperate attacks. Crits do 20% more damage which is nice and the main thing we went up this tree for is the 15% increased damage to poison abilities which all charges are classified as poisons.

+9% NB + 15% NB + 15% SAB + 15% ASN + 20% NB Opener = high DPS charges.

You will clear 600DPS for dungeons easy but the best part about this is that you clear 600DPS on each mob in a multi pull.

A build similar to the one I posted is why we got nerfed in 1.1. I was able to instantly crit people for 4000+ blast charge and 1700 detonate = 5700 damage. Difference between us and pyro is that we were glass cannons in order to reach all these charge dmg increases, absolutely no HP increase, dmg reduction in that setup at all.

As for what to use:

1 Mob (elite/boss): 5x spike charge detonate, 5x shrapnel charge detonate. Once mob is low (less than 10%) can use 5x blast charge if you don't think the dots will be able to complete in time.

3 Mob (elite): 5x spike charges annihilation bomb (hits 3 targets), 5x shrapnel charge, 5x shrapnel charge and continue. Alternatively can use carpet bomb to repeat spikes in as well and mix in frag bomb when it is up for some instant dmg.

10 Mob (mix elite/non): 5x spike repeated + plain annialation bomb + frag bomb.

If tank gets low hp or healer starts to run out of mana on a big yard trash pull hit carpet bombing and start spamming annihilation bomb several times 2 seconds apart. We can chain stun up to 10 mobs for 8 seconds doing this.
    Last edited by Unholy Retribution; 04-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.

They say a ninja can kill a man with a straw.... I can do it with the wrapper!

I've tried the build the person above me posted before, and it's just plain worse dps then the ones above. It'll top out at 500 single target.

I ran a T1 with the build I posted and it wasn't so hot. I wanted to test it out and found that there are just too many dots to be effective in dungeons. You'll sustain 620 on a dummy over 4 minutes, but against real mobs they die too quick to make loading up the dots worth it.

I also agree about the wolf pet. It doesn't have the survivability to be effective. I'm going to go back to the raptor and skip out on lingering flame.

The build I posted might perform well in raids and long encounters... but otherwise it doesn't stack up.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-03-2011 at 08:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread