+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What bard builds y'all rolling with post 1.1 for PvE instances/groups?

Plane Walker

Default What bard builds y'all rolling with post 1.1 for PvE instances/groups?

I'm thinking of this as my primary bard/support build. Not sure what to pair it with. I see little reason to go more than 33 points in the bard tree. All you get abilities-wise is a single target mez at 34 points, an utterly pointless ability at 36 points, another fanfare that groups rarely seem to want (they all seem to want Fanfare of Power or Vigor), a very weak heal on a 1 minute cooldown, and mediocre 51 point ability on a 2 minute cooldown.

Talent tree-wise the only items I can see of value (mediocre value at best) taking beyond 33 points would be putting two points in Extended Grief. But even then I rarely used those abilities in groups, except on longer boss fights. Also, from many posts I have read people have said Power Chord is a total waste of a point and you are better off just doing another cadence for both the damage + healing.

I am curious what bard builds everyone else is going with for running in groups for heroics. What souls are you pairing with bard?

Thanks!

Telaran

Same spec 51bard/10nb/5rs

Verse of Joy is too good to pass up, and alot of the bard stuff aside from a couple of talents are pretty nice.

10 in nb and 5 in rs to maximize cadence damage

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...b.EIdqiqskqz.V
    Last edited by omgacow; 03-30-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Banned

Bard specs wont be any different then before the patch.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by omgacow View Post
    Same spec 51bard/10nb/5rs

Verse of Joy is too good to pass up, and alot of the bard stuff aside from a couple of talents are pretty nice.

10 in nb and 5 in rs to maximize cadence damage

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...b.EIdqiqskqz.V
    Just seems to me the investment of an additional 18 points in the bard tree to go from 33 to 51 points just to obtain an ability that can only be used once every 2 minutes and confers a short 15 second buff is just not worth it. Those additional 18 points spent in the bard tree ar in effect spent on pretty much useless and worthless abilities/talents.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 03-30-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Godzillamax View Post
    Just seems to me the investment of an additional 18 points in the bard tree to go from 33 to 51 points just to obtain an ability that can only be used once every 2 minutes and confers a short 15 second buff is just not worth it. Those additional 18 points spent in the bard tree ar in effect spent on pretty much useless and worthless abilities/talents.
    Only 4 points in bard to get the 51 are a waste, 1 in power chord, and 3 in street smart.

Everything else is really good and every bard should have

Only 4 points in bard to get the 51 are a waste, 1 in power chord, and 3 in street smart.

Power Chord is awesome because there are rarely any boss fights during which you can stand still for the entire duration, and power chord minimizes downtime while moving.

Plane Walker

I disagree. In a group PvE setting, where you are at range playing a support class who is primarily healing and buffing, you aren't taking much damage.
    - 5 points in Good Health for a 10% increase to your health is useless (or better stated, can simply be spent someplace else for a better return on your point investment)
    - 3 points in Street Smart for a 3% reduction in your targets chance to hit you is unnecessary since you won't be taking many hits
    - 1 point in Coda of Fury is a waste. If you want an AE damage attack, just pick a sabo, ranger, or MM soul along wit your bard soul. It will do far more damage. But lets face reality here, you as a bard aren't in the group for your damage. So putting points into talents that increase your already pathetic bard tree damage (without increasing your healing) is a total waste of points.
    - 5 points in Deafening Music to buff Coda of Wrath and Fury's damage by 15% is a total waste since those attacks do such paltry damage to begin with and you will more than likely be spending your combo points to heal. Also, you would do more damage using sabo or ranger attacks than Coda of Wrath or Fury. Again, you aren't there to do damage as a bard and if you want to other trees can provide better damage for the points.
    - 2 points in Extended Grief to double the run time of Coda of Distress or Coda of Cowardice...this is about the only place I can see value in spending points in the bard tree beyond 33 points.
    - 1 point in Improved Anthem of Competence...well, no reason for this outside PvP.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 03-30-2011 at 06:37 PM.

I disagree. In a group PvE setting, where you are at range playing a support class who is primarily healing and buffing, you aren't taking much damage.
    - 5 points in Good Health for a 10% increase to your health is useless (or better stated, can simply be spent someplace else for a better return on your point investment)
    - 3 points in Street Smart for a 3% reduction in your targets chance to hit you is unnecessary since you won't be taking many hits
    - 1 point in Coda of Fury is a waste. If you want an AE damage attack, just pick a sabo, ranger, or MM soul along wit your bard soul. It will do far more damage. But lets face reality here, you as a bard aren't in the group for your damage. So putting points into talents that increase your already pathetic bard tree damage (without increasing your healing) is a total waste of points.
    - 5 points in Deafening Music to buff Coda of Wrath and Fury's damage by 15% is a total waste since those attacks do such paltry damage to begin with and you will more than likely be spending your combo points to heal. Also, you would do more damage using sabo or ranger attacks than Coda of Wrath or Fury. Again, you aren't there to do damage as a bard and if you want to other trees can provide better damage for the points.
    - 2 points in Extended Grief to double the run time of Coda of Distress or Coda of Cowardice...this is about the only place I can see value in spending points in the bard tree beyond 33 points.
    - 1 point in Improved Anthem of Competence...well, no reason for this outside PvP.
    - Good Health and Street smart I agree are somewhat useless.

- Coda of Fury is definitely useful in a variety of situations, for example the crabs in AP - just pop Virtuoso and spam Fury for 15 seconds, should provide a nontrivial amount of DPS and it's important to DPS these down quickly.

- Extended Grief is an absolute and definitive must-have. The two damage debuffs on your target are vital and essential to playing a bard and should be the very first things you stack up during encounters.

- Improved Anthem of Competence is definitely useful and needed for a ****-ton of boss encounters. There are no "tank and spank"-type bosses in rift, you often need to do things like running all the way across the room to break LoS with just a second to spare or risk wiping your entire raid - competence makes this a lot easier.

- Disregarding all of the above, 51 points for Verse of Joy is still needed, well it was before 1.1 at least. I'm guessing you've never done Infiltrator Johlen or the DPS boss in CC expert before? The Joy buff allows rogues to re-fill their energy bars after they completely bursted it away, essentially giving them double the burst - and a llittle bit of less DPS on these bosses would often result in a wipe.

Shadowlander

Stick 1 more point in bard for instant mes. Save my *** many times, great in PVP to take some one out for 8 seconds. Just all around useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryl Flynn View Post
    Stick 1 more point in bard for instant mes. Save my *** many times, great in PVP to take some one out for 8 seconds. Just all around useful.
    Read title.

Same spec as I have been I can yank Guildmates in and have them carry my Rogue till it gets "fixed".

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Champion

And how many points would you have to spend in another soul to get one of those attacks?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Read title.
    Since we agree that the Bard isn't there to DPS, wouldn't the 5 points in the Riftstalker tree be better spent on Toughened Soul rather than Unseen Fury? It would add to your survivability.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Passrider View Post
    Since we agree that the Bard isn't there to DPS, wouldn't the 5 points in the Riftstalker tree be better spent on Toughened Soul rather than Unseen Fury? It would add to your survivability.
    No cadence dmg is based of your attack power i think, so more attack power = more cadence dmg = more healing. So either go for sab/rs for dex/crit/ap etc.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    And how many points would you have to spend in another soul to get one of those attacks?
    12 points in Sabo with this build would net you:
    Frag Bomb (AE)
    Chemical Bomb (AE)
    Shrapnel Charge (AE when detonated)
    You also get +15% dex

16 points in ranger with this build would net you:
    Trick Shot (AE)
    You also get:
    +5% crit hit chance
    +AP with Predatory Instincts
    +5% damage buff for 60 seconds if you do a 5-point head shot finisher

Personally though, if things need to be AE'ed, I'm not on my bard/support soul I'm on my DPS soul that can pump out the AE damage for the trash pulls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast