+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger/Assassin/Nightblade

Default Ranger/Assassin/Nightblade

Instead of crying about how much rogues suck, here's my attempt at contribution:

This is the best ranged DPS spec I have been able to find so far post-patch, would love suggestions about improvements or alternatives.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fzIkcoVz.V0xMh

For reference, this build was doing about 650 sustained - compared to 600 sustained using the old best Sab build (Saboteur/Ranger/Nightblade) except with Spikex5 Blastx5, and about 680 using some random nightblade build (NB/Sin/Riftstalker) but which was by no means optimized for practice dummy DPS (that would be NB/Sin/Bladedancer), since it is a raiding-oriented build.

Thoughts: This has no pet survivability. I haven't tested it in a real-world scenario yet, so I can't judge how well it will perform in terms of pet not dying. I'll improve and report back once I have some hard data.

This build uses Piercing Shot, not for the armor debuff (500 armor amounts to jack**** in terms of DPS increase and the warrior debuff overrides it either way) but for the improved base damage over quick shot, I just macro'd together /cast Piercing Shot /cast Quick Shot to use it whenever available.

It also relies on Fiery Spike for maximum DPS. You ideally want to re-cast fiery spike whenever it's at 1-2 seconds remaining, since it refreshes a whopping 3 stacks that tick for like 300 + 3x Weapon damage total using just one GCD and hardly any energy.

Thank you - I was looking for something still fully ranged and somewhat viable. I hate the typical "rogue" spec in other games of sneaky stun gank kiddies, so I pretty much need to stay in the MM/Ranger/Sab souls to enjoy myself.

I will give this a whirl, and maybe shuffle some points to see if I can squeeze any more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    Thank you - I was looking for something still fully ranged and somewhat viable. I hate the typical "rogue" spec in other games of sneaky stun gank kiddies, so I pretty much need to stay in the MM/Ranger/Sab souls to enjoy myself.

I will give this a whirl, and maybe shuffle some points to see if I can squeeze any more out of it.
    It's not fully ranged, mind, you rely on your pet for a significant portion of your DPS - but the pet can simply be re-summoned up to once per fight when it dies, plus they tend to be immune to most types of "one shot the party" abilities.

You'll still need to micro it around a bit by switching it between Passive and Defensive (I used to leave it on passive and simply hotkey the "Attack" command, but when I do this it randomly decides to stop attacking, haven't pinned down the cause for this yet).

Looks good, Ill have to give it a shot and see how it works.
    "Wars are not acts of God. They are caused by man, by man-made institutions, by the way in which man has organized his society. What man has made, man can change." Frederick Moore Vinson
    Ill make the basters bleed!!!

Telaran

Crippling shot also hits harder than quick shot I believe. I'd take it as well.

As far as pet survivability builds, http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ekskqz.0VMcx0b is what I'm looking at right now. Inf could be changed to whatever you preferred, I just took inf for the free trinket (I've played a human on WoW and love the racial there for PVE).

Dummy parses have this and 51rng/15nb/0sin basically dead even for me, although this provides a little more group utility. 51/15 would probably beat it in a raid environment if someone else is bringing the 5% crit debuff from lethal poison.

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Instead of crying about how much rogues suck, here's my attempt at contribution:

This is the best ranged DPS spec I have been able to find so far post-patch, would love suggestions about improvements or alternatives.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fzIkcoVz.V0xMh

For reference, this build was doing about 650 sustained - compared to 600 sustained using the old best Sab build (Saboteur/Ranger/Nightblade) except with Spikex5 Blastx5, and about 680 using some random nightblade build (NB/Sin/Riftstalker) but which was by no means optimized for practice dummy DPS (that would be NB/Sin/Bladedancer), since it is a raiding-oriented build.

Thoughts: This has no pet survivability. I haven't tested it in a real-world scenario yet, so I can't judge how well it will perform in terms of pet not dying. I'll improve and report back once I have some hard data.

This build uses Piercing Shot, not for the armor debuff (500 armor amounts to jack**** in terms of DPS increase and the warrior debuff overrides it either way) but for the improved base damage over quick shot, I just macro'd together /cast Piercing Shot /cast Quick Shot to use it whenever available.

It also relies on Fiery Spike for maximum DPS. You ideally want to re-cast fiery spike whenever it's at 1-2 seconds remaining, since it refreshes a whopping 3 stacks that tick for like 300 + 3x Weapon damage total using just one GCD and hardly any energy.
    old news for the ranger/marks spec's and the best saboteur specs were pulling over 700dps
    The overman...Who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsz View Post

As far as pet survivability builds, http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ekskqz.0VMcx0b is what I'm looking at right now. Inf could be changed to whatever you preferred, I just took inf for the free trinket (I've played a human on WoW and love the racial there for PVE).

Dummy parses have this and 51rng/15nb/0sin basically dead even for me, although this provides a little more group utility. 51/15 would probably beat it in a raid environment if someone else is bringing the 5% crit debuff from lethal poison.
    blade finesse does not work with ranger/marks ranged auto attacks right now...
    The overman...Who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsz View Post
    Good find, I'll add it.

Also interesting to note: Quick Shot bleeds over 6 seconds but this effect doesn't stack, so ideally you'll want to cast quick shot once first, and *then* put up Splinter Shot / Piercing Shot / Crippling Shot / Whatever.

That way, Quick Shot + bleed damage deals more overall damage than piercing shot or crippling shot.

Plane Touched

It's not fully ranged, mind, you rely on your pet for a significant portion of your DPS - but the pet can simply be re-summoned up to once per fight when it dies, plus they tend to be immune to most types of "one shot the party" abilities.

You'll still need to micro it around a bit by switching it between Passive and Defensive (I used to leave it on passive and simply hotkey the "Attack" command, but when I do this it randomly decides to stop attacking, haven't pinned down the cause for this yet).
    The cause is ****ty AI. It'll go up and smack the guy then come running back to you.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by NeVeRLiFt View Post
    blade finesse does not work with ranger/marks ranged auto attacks right now...
    When did I say anything about bladedancer?

Good find, I'll add it.

Also interesting to note: Quick Shot bleeds over 6 seconds but this effect doesn't stack, so ideally you'll want to cast quick shot once first, and *then* put up Splinter Shot / Piercing Shot / Crippling Shot / Whatever.

That way, Quick Shot + bleed damage deals more overall damage than piercing shot or crippling shot.
    Between piercing/crippling/splinter/shadow fire I often find my quick shot bleed rarely gets overwritten just trying to keep all those up (and in fact it might not even have 100% uptime, I haven't examined my parses closely enough to see).

Shield of Telara

51/15/0 ranger NB assassin is still better... pets get killed too easy without 51 point in the tree... when you actually see raid content you might understand that

just because you can parse better when taking no damage and never moving does not make it a better spec in actual content other then a dummy
    Last edited by Jekyll03; 03-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeVeRLiFt View Post
    old news for the ranger/marks spec's and the best saboteur specs were pulling over 700dps
    My sab spec was doing over 800 dps pre-nerf and I even hit 1k on some bosses, but that was pre-nerf and pre-nerf is history.

I've tried Ranger/Marks but they don't really synergize, Ranger/Assassin seems heaps better.

Shield of Telara

My sab spec was doing over 800 dps pre-nerf and I even hit 1k on some bosses, but that was pre-nerf and pre-nerf is history.

I've tried Ranger/Marks but they don't really synergize, Ranger/Assassin seems heaps better.
    the hardest content Neverlift has ever seen is teh boss raid dummy... so don't worry about him... when he gets past normal AP and CC he might learn what happens to that ranger marks crap

Soulwalker

I leveled mostly with a similar spec, and I did some parses today. I was only able to get mid 300s vs the elite dummy (100-200 lower than my NB and my solo BD spec).

- you likely know already that serrated blades doesn't affect ranged
    - but it does proc on twilight force, which hits harder than quick shot - even without eventide
    - if you do pick up twilight force, ebon fury becomes nice for a point
    - with 32 in RNG, my blood raptor did 6dps. Is this broken? Wolf did nearly 60dps.
    - rain of arrows is certainly worth a point

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by jala View Post
    I leveled mostly with a similar spec, and I did some parses today. I was only able to get mid 300s vs the elite dummy (100-200 lower than my NB and my solo BD spec).

- you likely know already that serrated blades doesn't affect ranged
    - but it does proc on twilight force, which hits harder than quick shot - even without eventide
    - if you do pick up twilight force, ebon fury becomes nice for a point
    - with 32 in RNG, my blood raptor did 6dps. Is this broken? Wolf did nearly 60dps.
    - rain of arrows is certainly worth a point
    you are doing something wrong...

just today i parsed 630 on the dummy with my 51/15/0 spec and it performs very well in a raid setting because the pet never dies unless he is hit by a single target attack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast