+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No more LOSing mages?

Rift Disciple

Default No more LOSing mages?

From the patch notes under Combat:

PvP Combat: Abilities now only check for caster facing their target at the start of a cast they will still land if a target moves behind you while casting is in progress.

Was this expected? This kinda sucks, this is basically auto-facing once the cast has started right?

Plane Touched

Im glad they fixed this.

One of my most peeved game design principals, is the run through exploit. BTW you can still LOS a mage, just not from walking though them.

I say this as a melee rogue.

Plane Touched

It's a stupid auto aim bot for casters basically... Pyros already do enough damage and now all they have to do is make sure they face you for the initial cast and you have to just take it no matter what you do (unless you find an object to LoS them)
    Last edited by Planbee; 03-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Plane Walker

you can los casters behind objects. you just can't abuse latency by running through them last second.

any melee player that wasnt horrible could abuse this and almost never take damage no matter how fast the mage reacted.
    Last edited by zeroburrito; 03-30-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Planbee View Post
    It's a stupid auto aim bot for casters basically... Pyros already do enough damage and now all they have to do is make sure they face you for the initial cast and you have to just take it no matter what you do (unless you find an object to LoS them)
    OMG like it should be.

I mean you want to talk about realism's? Can you RUN THOUGH SOMEONE in real life? no.

If you want to debate the power of the mage damage, that's fine. But justifying that Rogues should get a cheap exploit (in many games, sigh) to counter said class is annoying at the least and dumb at best.

Telaran

Run through LOS breaking really has no place in a game that doesn't have collision detection. This is a good change.

Plane Touched

Also, you can still jump in circles laround me and I still have to face you to be able to start the spell. Other wise I still won't be able to begin casting on you.

So jump away my non stationary fighting friends.

Rift Disciple

I don't play a mage, but I can't believe how easy it can be to take one down just by running through them. I think this fix was needed.

You can still LOS and use the run through method but neither of them are going to have the massive benifit they did; you're only going to be delaying their next cast which is still a bonus when you're in contact with them.

Most classes still have access to stuns, silences and interupts, now they can start actually using them.

Plane Walker

It's a combination of lack of skill on mages part and a lack of PBAoE in the game. In many games, the mage has a PBAoE stun or root in conjunction with a way to move away quickly from a melee attacker. I don't play a mage in this game, but it seems like tihs is lacking and that's why mages are crying so much about it.

Also, since they added this, they should also do collision checks with objects for cast spells. There are lots of times I'm behind something but still get hit by a spell that clips right through it (like a tree).

Quote Originally Posted by Miestro View Post
    Im glad they fixed this.

One of my most peeved game design principals, is the run through exploit. BTW you can still LOS a mage, just not from walking though them.

I say this as a melee rogue.
    I don't get peoples logic like the above person. Following that logic rogues should be able to backstab mages in the face because they can turn around. Now I am all for it but it's a ridiculous change. We're a melee class, they are a ranged class, if I can side strafe around them and they cannot figure out how to turn around before the spell ends that's not my fault and a benefit of melee ranged class. Same goes for me being out in range and them blasting me with spells before I can do a thing to them.

Terrible change and it's eventually going to bite them in the arse. We're going to get interrupts and/or some other feature to make up for this poorly thought out change.

Most classes still have access to stuns, silences and interupts, now they can start actually using them.
    Which do not work AT ALL on mages that us the circle of awesome, otherwise known as can't use ANY CC on them at all.
    Last edited by Celestian; 03-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Celestian View Post
    I don't get peoples logic like the above person. Following that logic rogues should be able to backstab mages in the face because they can turn around. Now I am all for it but it's a ridiculous change. We're a melee class, they are a ranged class, if I can side strafe around them and they cannot figure out how to turn around before the spell ends that's not my fault and a benefit of melee ranged class. Same goes for me being out in range and them blasting me with spells before I can do a thing to them.

Terrible change and it's eventually going to bite them in the arse. We're going to get interrupts and/or some other feature to make up for this poorly thought out change.
    You do realize strafing around a mage was not causing the issues?

The idiots who were standing on top of mages and just moving back and forth inside the avatar was causing the problem.

I have no problem turning with someone as a mage, but as soon as they start hopping right inside of you you are screwed.

The difference comes down to time and distance.

If you strafe "AROUND" the mage that takes significantly longer and actually requires timing and skill. The mage has a chance to keep up with you because you are Not RIGHT inside the mage, where each step takes but a split second.

Just hopping inside the mages avatar takes NO skill.

What they need is collision and then allow REAL strafing because that actually requires skill + timing.

The bunny hoppers are going to be at a loss now.

So many mages in this thread, too funny.

I like my flavor to be banana.

Enjoy your month, clothies.
    Wheeler
    Exiled Guild
    Roguey Extraordinaire of Sunrest

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    So many mages in this thread, too funny.

I like my flavor to be banana.

Enjoy your month, clothies.
    So you like banana's?

I prefer Strawberries.

+ Reply to Thread