+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker: Defer Death

Telaran

Default Riftstalker: Defer Death

Hi fellow rogues.
    I just recently unlocked this skill on my Riftstalker, but I'm struggling to find a use for it, outside of giving your healer a heartattack.
    So far, I only see one use for it: Last Resort button - You've bottomed out your healthpoints and you know the next hit will kill you. DEFER DEATH! Now Your healer has 10 seconds to heal you up, and hopefully the damage you've recieved during those 10 seconds does not surpass your maximum hitpoints, outright killing you once Defer Death ends.

Anyway, what do you people think about this skill, and what do you use it for?
    Last edited by Shadowyn; 03-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Champion of Telara

You click it on the last 1-5% of the boss and die when it finishes in cases where you were gonna die for whatever reason and you gave yourself (and the group) 10 more second of DPS.

Remove it from your bars or use it in those situations.
    Last edited by potis; 03-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Two uses:

Healers dead and/or not able to heal you, gives 10 more seconds for DPS to finish boss off.....

or

You get low, pop it, healer big heals you to full, you instantly remove Defer Death and it triggers the damage before the full 10 seconds, thus it wont 1shot you.

Shadowlander

Also...

Black Garden: Snatch the thingie everyone's blasting with AoEs!
    Codex: Assault the Banner everyone's blasting with AoEs!
    Whitefall Steppes: Last ten more seconds and bring that sourcestone home...which, with, say, a Blade Dancer Sprint and 5 Ports, is plenty of time.
    Battle of Port Scion: All of the Above.

I don't use it near as much in PvE..but it has been a lifesaver once or twice.
    Last edited by Shotgun47; 03-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Use this if you know that your party already wiped ( losed 2 healers but 1 mage left). Let them run away while you tanking boss and when boss resets they can res your party

You can use Defer Death and at 0 seconds you can use Scatter the Shadows (3sec immunity). That way you will be immune to all the damage from Defer Death. This two abilities put together are basically 12sec immunity. It's awesome actually.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post
    You can use Defer Death and at 0 seconds you can use Scatter the Shadows (3sec immunity). That way you will be immune to all the damage from Defer Death. This two abilities put together are basically 12sec immunity. It's awesome actually.
    This does not work. The damage goes through scatter.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun47 View Post
    Also...

Black Garden: Snatch the thingie everyone's blasting with AoEs!
    Codex: Assault the Banner everyone's blasting with AoEs!
    Whitefall Steppes: Last ten more seconds and bring that sourcestone home...which, with, say, a Blade Dancer Sprint and 5 Ports, is plenty of time.
    Battle of Port Scion: All of the Above.
    I just got this power and had never even thought that it would stop the interrupt chain. Brilliant!

Also, does Defer Death get the benefit of riftstalker absorbtion shields? If so, it may be a good thing to hit if you don't have a shield up, get it up, then take the dmg, saving you 30% of your hp.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
    Two uses:

Healers dead and/or not able to heal you, gives 10 more seconds for DPS to finish boss off.....

or

You get low, pop it, healer big heals you to full, you instantly remove Defer Death and it triggers the damage before the full 10 seconds, thus it wont 1shot you.
    And after canceling Defer Death and taking the damage, you could also hit one of your other defensive cooldowns to give the healer a chance to catch up again if you got spiked hard. Definitely has its uses.

Also useful in certain rare situations to delay suicide long enough to loot a quest item or complete a puzzle.

Telaran

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't think of cancelling the buff before the time was up, but after you've been healed into the safe zone, thus improving your chances of surviving the damage you'll have saved up by then.
    My Riftstalker role is strictly for PVE tanking, but I guess those other suggestions will provide help for those seeking a purpose for Defer Death in pvp.

Shadowlander

I'm the weird person who runs their PvP with a tank build most of the time, this being due to the fact that I acknowledge I have a slow reaction time. So yeah...that's how I dsicovered how abusive Defer Death could be there when combined with the sheer mobility and dodginess rogues have. It's not really being brilliant or anything...just adapting to how I play...Slow and methodical. >_<

Champion

managed to actually use this skill today and win with it, fighting expert caelia, healer went and leapt into wild lightning, hit this and finished her off in the 10 seconds

Still not so useful though, most of the time its just giving you a spike you shouldn't take

Champion

I usually use it to get into instances faster and die afterward from the falling damage I took.

I have had my moments were the healer died and we used it to finish the boss off though.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ucffool View Post
    Also, does Defer Death get the benefit of riftstalker absorbtion shields? If so, it may be a good thing to hit if you don't have a shield up, get it up, then take the dmg, saving you 30% of your hp.
    Since the "scatter the shadows" combo didn't work I'm inclined to say this won't either. I am thinking that the damage is calculated however it would be during that 10 seconds (w/e shields and armor/damage reduction buffs you have during defer) and no matter what your buffs are at the end of the 10 seconds that damage is unmitigatable (beyond what you already did/didn't mitigate while defer was up).

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
    Two uses:

or

you sir just saved me. had no clue i could click it off!!!! i only use it in pvp even though i can tank t2s, but always dying after using it in an expert was just painful and unreliable!!! knowing i can click it when super low on hp, and click it off when full hp is a big deal!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast