+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worth rolling a rogue?

Soulwalker

Default Worth rolling a rogue?

I see a lot of people complaining about rogues being bad, I just started so I don't know what is going on.

Are all rogue specs bad even the ranged ones? If they are still decent can you recommend a leveling build?

Rift Disciple

Reroll mage now

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd View Post
    I see a lot of people complaining about rogues being bad, I just started so I don't know what is going on.

Are all rogue specs bad even the ranged ones? If they are still decent can you recommend a leveling build?

Fun to play, really effin fun to play! i love playing my rogue, leveling was a blast!

...but

dont expect to win any battles if you dont get the drop in world pvp, even then be prepared for dissapointment. Your dps wont stack up against other classes in dungeons either.

Sabo is pretty good, but it is damned boring, and not worth the hastle if you care about having fun and not just pew pew.

I leveld as a sin/rift, 0 downtime during leveling.

Champion

Rogues are in the worst spot in the game right now. The only thing they offer is utility in PvP (They have the fastest spec for Flag running and some other things I'm gonna think of later). If you want a class that can fight on its own I suggest rerolling.

Telaran

No one knows how rogues will be in 2 months or so (after 1.2 patch), but right now its not a very fun calling. Its almost impossible to get into a group because our DPS is horrible and a chrolo is so much better to have as offhealer than a bard (chloro does 3 times the DPS a bard does, and heal twice as much as a bard does).

I don't know why mages, who was a very good calling before the patch, was made as uber as they will be, maybe some devs GF plays mage. But if I could reincarnate my character into a mage (or any other calling) I would do so immediately.

Soulwalker

Are rogues the only ones in a bad spot right now? Are clerics and warriors doing well? I see mages are doing fine.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd View Post
    Are rogues the only ones in a bad spot right now? Are clerics and warriors doing well? I see mages are doing fine.
    Yes everyone else but rogues are doing fine.

But it depends on what you want, Clerics lack Burst DPS therefore they are not that great at PvP. Warriors lack the ability to heal people. Mages lack the ability to tank (I've heard they make excellent PvP tanks though, never seen it to be honest).

Absolutely love playing my rogue. I rolled a warrior just to mess around with but keep going back to my rogue. Only downfall, it seems like (on my server anyways) the only classes around are rogues and warriors.

Soulwalker

Pick the class that is the most fun. Nerfs and buffs will come and go over the weeks/months/years to come. Trying to pick based just on which one is most powerful at the current time will only lead to frustration later.

Telaran

Don't chose your call based on the forums.
    Today the sky is cloudy but tomorrow there'll be sun.
    And if it's not tomorrow, it will be the day or week after. Everything is a mater of time.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rokford View Post
    Pick the class that is the most fun. Nerfs and buffs will come and go over the weeks/months/years to come. Trying to pick based just on which one is most powerful at the current time will only lead to frustration later.
    Dont do it. Rogues are a trap. There abilities are fun and u get sucked into playing it then get into endgame and you class is a pos that cant do anything but go assassin and sit in stealth and wait for sum1 to get low and steal a killing blow. Before we had sab for our pvp nuke and Pve dps and our Tank build is **** compared to warriors and clerics. Mele in pve is a joke all the fights are catered to ranged and in pvp our only really viable mele build is assassin witch lacks LOTS of dmg and CC.

Champion

I would suggest as well you take the "Fun class." If you can't decide what is fun maybe just watch some videos or look at some builds and their rotations. Like everyone says rogues seem fun at first then when they get higher levels you noticed they are more like a fly spinning around someone's head, but I still love being my rogue for the utility builds I think of but those depend on having a good group to back you up. So it all depends on what you want to do.

Default heya

Rogues are fun and entertaining in my opinion. To be totally honest though, I chose a rogue as my main simply because I go afk often enough where the thought of stealth is just too appealing. (Assassin for permastealth)

Sabo's kinda fun to play just to see big numbers, but lack survivability more than any class in the game in my humble opinion. With 1.1 we won't see those big numbers anymore so *shrug*...

Bards entertaining, I walk the roads of freemarch strumming my lute getting critters to follow me. Alas other players slay them before me, making me /cry. They are fun and very helpful when doing a Warfront. (Instanced PvP) They keep your team alive or at least long enoug to have the fresh res join the battle thus staving off any down time for the opposing faction to replenish their mana/cool downs.

Marksman/Ranger/Assassin: I played Marksman with 0 points in ranger, just to get the boar as a tank, from level 1-30. At 30 your boar stops leveling and ranger becomes useless unless you put 26 points in to get the Greater boar. Levels 1-22 were a blast as a marksman, but as I progressed I grew to know what many people at the forums have been complaining about, our damage/abilities seem to do less and less the higher level you get. I've not done a marksman/ranger since 30 though so don't know end game how they fair. Assassin for poisons and stealth.

My favorite soul combo and the one I've used the most for leveling and world pvp has been my Assassin/Nightblade/Riftstalker. I'm level 59 at the moment with 32 assassin 32 nightblade 0 riftstalker. Riftstalker because i like the shadow shift(teleport), it works in stealth and doesn't break it. Perma stealth and multiple CCs, the ranged incapacitate Lost Hope from nightblade tree in conjuction with the close quarters incapacitate from assassin help me do quests I'd otherwise be incapable of doing solo because I can take 2 mobs out of the fight for 40+ seconds. Made a macro for mouseover blinding powder incase one breaks early or I need to cc a 3rd. I could get a 4th cc like that if I got the ability in the nightblade tree but don't feel the need with all my other cc.

Here's some info I think everyone should know for playing a rogue:

Assassin poisons proc off ranged weapons such as bows/guns.
    Blinding Powder shares diminishing returns with your stun abilities. Blinding someone can make them immune to your stun, and vice versa.
    I've heard from numerous sources but can't find any notes saying so but: Poisons proc the same ammount no matter the speed of the weapon you use. No longer pigeon holed into using daggers for the poison procs. Now you can use slower heavier hitting swords/maces/axes without being penalized poison wise.
    Eth females hold one of their weapons reverse gripped. Aesthetically pleasing and different some say. (I am kelari so I can fox form when my stealth's not up or gets broke and I'm too close for comfort to mobs)

That's my experience with playing a rogue. If you have any great tips or ideas be sure to share with your fellow shadow dwellers. Maybe that opposing rogue could kill you with your own tip.

Oh, one more thing: If you know where I can find the patch notes stating the poison proc information I've given, please share it with me. Thanks.

Telaran

depends what you want with your rogue.

If you want to be an assassin you can be. Damage of assassin is very overpowered right now so fun to play.

Should buff Sab dmg also a bit...so it comes a bit more into range with assassins

Telaran

I forgot to

*kuch BS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast