+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [GUIDE] Sixtwosix's Assassin's PvP 101 Guide for Beginners!

Default [GUIDE] Sixtwosix's Assassin's PvP 101 Guide for Beginners!

So You want to PvP as an Assassin! Great!!!! Rogue so far has been my favorite PvP class in Rift so far. To give you some background about myself, I play a Defiant on Tearfall, currently in the 30th season. I exclusively world pvp and try to only level this way. Its through this I have learned how to play and what builds to use for assassin pvp. This is will be you're basic 101 guide, so for you 50's coming here, you might want to look somewhere else.

1-13 just focus on getting all of you're pvp souls. For the 10-19 Warfront bracket youre going to want to pick something that supports, bards are getting nerfed in this bracket in 1.1 patch, but thats ok, they still have a lot to offer.

Assassins will start to be good at level 16(Assassin, Bladedancer, Riftstalker). This is a noteworthy level because of 2 things. 1. Paralyzing strike opener, and Backstab are obtained at this level. This will pretty much allow you to kill the guy with the fang every single time. If you cant youre not timing youre openers right, or you may be fighting a well organized group, even still i never had much trouble at this level taking out any carrier of the fang.

-For this spec you will spend primary points into assassin, secondary into BD, and zero into Rift. This is not a rambo, balls to the wall spec. This is youre basic stealth assassin spec that relies on strong openers and has a couple of fall backs if things turn sour or the fight is prolonged.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MMVp.hAobzo.x at 16

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MMVp.hAobzofodo.x0d at 25

UTILITY:
    Shadow Stalk(blink)
    Blinding Powder(10 sec mez)
    Malicious Strike(melee 70% snare)
    Poison Malice(dmg shield/100% poison dmg increase)
    Baneful touch(50% poison dmg increase stakcs with Poison malice)
    Expose Weakness(extra dmg on hit, SHOULD ALWAYS BE ON WHOEVER YOURE FIGHTING)
    Side Steps(50% dodge chance)

How to fight with this class in Black Garden:

-Buff up with poisons, and youre dex buff. Stealth when you reach the crater where the fang is spawned. Go around the crater to the right or left. Youre job is to now kill a priority target and then get out fast, rinse and repeat until you make key targets cry.

Key targets: Clerics in the backfield make easy targets. That pyromancer covering the ground with lava so youre team cant pick up the fang. The bard/chloromancer healing everyone, or that pesky ranger attacking youre healers from afar. These are all key targets. Tanks you will snare and move on.

Youre basic Spam macro:

#show "Your choice"
    cast Backstab
    cast Quick Strike
    Cast Keen Strike

note: Keen/quick strike will net you more DPS than savage strike which is why you use this macro. Basically if youre behind it will backstab, if not it will go through keen/quick.

Rotation:
    Paralyzing -Strike 2 combo points
    BAckstab -1 combo
    Puncture -2 combo points
    Final Blow -finisher

This will pretty much will anything in that bracket, and if they arnt dead a backstab with a puncture for a 3 point final blow will finish them quickly.

After you kill someone, BLINK back to youre team with shadow stalk and restealth. One thing you have to realize about the assassin is that we live and die off of our "Cloak and Dagger" talent. Thats 15% more dmg dealt and 15% less dmg taken for 15 seconds when you open out of stealth with an opener.

Cloak and Dagger 15%dmg + Improved final Blow 15%dmg + Double Cross 15% dmg is behind = Massive final blows for the first 15 seconds when you open.

How to stop a fight:

Youre an assassin. Sure you have some nice Bleed talents, but I'd think twice about taking them early on. In pvp an assassin needs to know his limits, and when youre beat youre beat. No since dying...thats for those other classes. Youre better than that. You have a trick up youre sleave. Often when pvping I come across youre average vengeful level 50 whose alt has been murdered and wants payback. RELAX!!! Its ok. That big scary ?? isnt going to hurt you.

Blinding Powder. Make a macro.

#show Blinding Powder
    cast Blinding Powder
    /raid BLINDING POWDER ON << %t >> DO NOT ATTACK

This macro will save youre life in warfronts when youre trying to stop a fight. If a teammate hits an enemy you just blinded chances are youre about to die or he just broke valuable CC. So use it.

Basically with blinding powder you can stop any fight UNLESS youre target has a DoT on him. As an assassin you have 1 DoT anytime ability at this level(puncture), so make sure its not on when you need to make a hasty retreat.

Blinding Powder lasts 9 seconds on players. 3 seconds into the blind you will be able to stealth. thats 6 seconds of getaway time. You can also use this method to open twice on someone in a fight, works great on healers if you fail to kill them while they are locked in stuns. Just restart the fight!

In assassin vs assassin fights it will ALWAYS come down to cloak and dagger talent. Which means he who gets the jump wins, unless the other guy uses blinding powder, restealths, and owns said assassin who tried to jump the other assassin, but then he uses blinding powder and also resets the fight....you get what im saying here? USE BLINDING POWDER!!!!

Youre next Key levels will be 21 and 22. At 21 you will be able to get Improved Stealth which makes you officially an assassin. Congrats! Next at 22 you get Foul Play which is youre anytime stun. This means you will now be able to officially kill someone from start to finish while the enemy is stunned the entire time.

You're 23/24 talent points should go into Subterfuge next. This will make sure you always gain 3 talent points on you're opener. This is huge.

You're new rotation will be:

Paralyze strike(stun) 3CP
    Puncture 2CP
    FINAL BLOW
    Foul Play (stun)
    Backstab
    Puncture/Backstab
    Final Blow

That will kill any caster/healer/rogue youre level and below or plus 2 and they will not move. Now some rogues can get fancy on you. You will need to get a feel of when you need to throw in youre snare into that rotation above to keep people from getting away. Range is youre enemy in this build. Loath it. If someone gains range on you, you have 1 chance to get them back with blinding powder. So make sure you learn when to rotate in youre snare.

Ok So what about tanks? Remember you are a burst class. A tank will not be burst down, EXCEPT a few DPS versions, but those guys are rare. Usually its the other nasty DPS spec and thats getting nerfed ;). A tank fight you will open just like above. Except the second rotation will not end with final blow. It will end with baneful touch. Its time to give the fight one last hurrah. When you go through that opener any tank will be crushed. What you need to realize is, you will have to kill a good tank twice. Lay on Hands is a *****(basically a full heal). Thats where you have the choice of doing 1 of 2 things. Blind him and run away, or turn on youre burns.

This is also where youre secondary Bladedancer spec comes in. You should have put points into 5/5 dodge, and 2/2 Strike back. Strike back makes sidesteps a dangerous offensive ability. It makes it so that everytime you dodge you strike back with both weapons. You get 5% from talent, 50% from side steps, and another 5% from a BD finisher you will get later on at 8 points in + what ever youre dex modifier is. So Sidesteps is an amazing ability and you should NOT forget it.

Youre Burns:

Baneful touch
    Poison malice
    Expose Weakness
    side steps
    trinket(if you have)

You turn all of those on at once and watch the numbers fly across youre screen. If he sustains through that he has won and you need to blind and re-open for the win or escape. In a nutshell thats how you burn down a tank.

Tips and Tricks

-Always Sap Pets first. Sap on pets lasts 45+ seconds. No reason not to.
    -Sapped NPC's will not aggro when it wears off. This makes killing people near guards easy.
    -Use Elusiveness like its going out of style. I use it all the time. People can still see you in stealth if youre in front of them or if they pass through you. Elusive will prevent this.
    -Save Blink(shadow stalk) for when you really need it. This will be one of youre main escape tools early on. MAKE IT COUNT.
    -Play smart and be patient!!!!

-Watch out for Stormcaller/Chloro/Elementalist builds. They are about as anti-melee caster as it gets. They get a buff that makes it so everytime you strike them in melee you get knocked back 15m as well as a few more knockbacks and roots. Not to mention heals and dots. If you do not kill this class in the first 3 seconds, he will kill you. The melee reactive knockback is on a 2 min cooldown, make them burn it, blind powder and restart the fight when its gone.

-Rangers/marksman will always try to kite you, and will sometimes be effective at it if you do not land or use youre snare in youre rotation. If you see a boar/wolf pet and a pink bar under their name, that means you will want to use snare. Marksman get a immunity to this with improved on the double which is also their 5 sec 70% sprint. Be aware of this.

- Melee clerics will hurt. Treat the good ones like tanks.

When you reach 27 it gets....interesting. If you have gone through and played that build above you will know 2 things. Tanks are youre toughest fight, and range is youre sworn enemy. This is where that changes. In fact its about to get down right nasty.

Enter the Assassin/Marksman/Riftstalker Build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MMfp.hAobzofod.gMzo

This is the build at 27, 28 and 29 youre points go into hasty departure in marksman tree.

At first glance this build is a wtf. I thought it was such a wtf the first time i was specing into it I told myself it would not work and tried Assassin/ranger/Rift instead. While that does give you a neat ranged snare and decent ranged finisher and attacks it just doesnt meld right. #1 the pet is a hassle and gets in the way, nor would you really even use it because of stealth. You also dont gain a lot of utility.

Assassin Marks Rift gives you:

Melee Knockback 15m
    Blinding powder
    On the double ( a 5 sec 70% 30sec CD sprint)
    Hastey Departcher (Marksman Talent 2/2 everytime youre hit you gain 4% runspeed stacks 5 times)
    Swiftshot (This will be youre new spam ability, so macro this with Backstab)

#show Swift Shot
    cast Backstab
    cast Swift Shot

Swift shot is an amazing ability. At first glance you will miss its awesomeness. Every ranged shot in this game has a dead zone except a few, and this is one of them. Dead zone is the area in which youre not allowed to use a bow because the enemy is to close. Most shots have a 3-30 meter range, anything inside the 3 meter range (the dead zone) cant be fired at with ranged powers. Swift shot ignores this and is a point blank to 30m ranged attack. It also increases runspeed by 5% and stacks 5 times. Yes it stacks with [B]Hastey Departure

Hasted Shot a ranged instant finisher that will give you 30% runspeed. Time is based on combo points 5 points giving you a max of 15 seconds. Using this will remove swift shot stacks, but swift shot can be reapplied and stack with hasted shot. Hasted also stacks with Hasty Departure.

Hasty Departure, Swift shot, and Hasted shot will all stack for a 75% runspeed increase. Now its certainly rare to have then all on at once, but swift and hasty departure really get the job done when you need to catch or gain distance.

Deadeye Shot - Most powerful Ranged Finisher, so now you have the most powerful ranged finisher and melee finish in the game in this build. Remember that you are NOT a ranger, nor a ranged class. Just an assassin with ranged utility. Final blow will most certainly always do more dmg than this shot because of the 3 talents that go along with it. That said, this is an excellent ranged finisher even with the 1.5 cast time.

This Build is pretty simple. Play the assassin like you always have except now you can kite tanks and make them cry, and range you love. This pretty much gives you the best of both worlds and if youre a defiant human with the agility racial you will love this build even more. On the double + Agility means you can cross whole zones in stealth or catch people mounted in stealth with ease. Also, escaping is twice as easy with twice the sprints ;)

Note: In this build its very easy for you to get lazy and start using ranged shots a lot. This is wrong. You must remember you are a hybrid build but mainly still an assassin at heart. Stick with youre assassin play style and opening like you have learned from build #1 and use youre ranged finishers when you need to kite an opponent down.

I hope this guide lets all you young assassins win like Charlie Sheen!
    Last edited by MicrowaveSeller; 03-30-2011 at 02:02 AM.
    SixtwoSix
    Level 50 R3 Rogue Tearfall -retired until Transfers.
    Level 31 Mage Briarcliff - Active.

Soulwalker

Default GReat Guide

Had a few questions.

1. What would a build look like past 27? lets say at level 40 or 50?

2. What would be the rotation or macro once I spec to the marks/assassin/riftstalker? Do I just spam the backstab/swiftshot macro to build 5 combo points then final blow?

Think you mean Shadow Shift instead of Shadow Stalk, if you have 0 points in RS. Shadow Stalk is the stun/snare/root breaker at 14 points in the soul.
    Zantetsuken - 50 Warrior - Firesand EU RP-PvP
    Charisma - 50 Rogue - Firesand EU RP-PvP
    Eldrenna - 13 Cleric - Firesand EU RP-PvP

Telaran

I completely disagree. First, Jagged Strike is by far the opening to go with once you have access to it. To be honest i find the assassin soul pretty much pointless untill you have foul play and JS. But, whatever.

Also, as a second spec, BD ain't great. You get more damage increase from the usual 10 (can go 9 at 50 with certain 51 sin builds) points in NB, and you get lost hope which is awesome, 2 saps=love in open pvp, and fiery spike can turn handy.

I completely disagree on MM into a sin build too. If you want some ranged potential go ranger, 0 points and you have a spammable and a finisher, 6 points and you have 5% crit chance, a ranged snare and a perma AP buff.

0 point riftstalker i don't like. IMO with that soul you either go 16+ for shadow stalk and shadow assault (etc etc) or it's completely pointless. Better choices would be sab for aoe snare or rng for some ranged stuff when needed as said above.

Slip away is not just a defensive tool, it's your most powerful offensive trick. A second stealth opener and 3 secs of immunity mid fight? **** yeah man.
    Whitefall - Guardian
    Pazzoo - Rogue [Best Friends]

Shadowlander

what does the "show" command in your macro do exactly ??

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbz View Post
    what does the "show" command in your macro do exactly ??
    It forces the macro to use the icon for the named ability. Instead of having to use one of the cheesy presets.

#show Savage Strike

will use the icon for SS etc.

Shadowlander

Thanks for sharing and putting so much effort in writing this.

I don't really like the idea of a melee/ranged hybrid build tho. Go for one or the other but speccing in both will most likely nerf your melee AND ranged abilities imo.

Oh and please: it's "your" not "youre" or "you're"! (you're = you are)

Quote Originally Posted by Amdur View Post
    Thanks for sharing and putting so much effort in writing this.

I don't really like the idea of a melee/ranged hybrid build tho. Go for one or the other but speccing in both will most likely nerf your melee AND ranged abilities imo.

Oh and please: it's "your" not "youre" or "you're"! (you're = you are)
    Ranger can have it's uses. 8 points gets you 5% extra crit, and 6% damage reduction, an extra point gets you a ranged snare. That also includes the root abilities such as a pet and AP buff. The pets are pretty crap but you can set it onto a healer that is OOM and trying to get out of combat to stop him from drinking.

Soulwalker

sorry, iwont sound rude, you wrote alot but... all your builds miss somthing worth/basic in favor of worthless/hard to use stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PaZZo View Post
    I completely disagree. First, Jagged Strike is by far the opening to go with once you have access to it. To be honest i find the assassin soul pretty much pointless untill you have foul play and JS. But, whatever.

Also, as a second spec, BD ain't great. You get more damage increase from the usual 10 (can go 9 at 50 with certain 51 sin builds) points in NB, and you get lost hope which is awesome, 2 saps=love in open pvp, and fiery spike can turn handy.

I completely disagree on MM into a sin build too. If you want some ranged potential go ranger, 0 points and you have a spammable and a finisher, 6 points and you have 5% crit chance, a ranged snare and a perma AP buff.

0 point riftstalker i don't like. IMO with that soul you either go 16+ for shadow stalk and shadow assault (etc etc) or it's completely pointless. Better choices would be sab for aoe snare or rng for some ranged stuff when needed as said above.

Slip away is not just a defensive tool, it's your most powerful offensive trick. A second stealth opener and 3 secs of immunity mid fight? **** yeah man.
    I'm only level 34, but I agree with a lot of this. I'm running Sin/NB/Rift (32/13/0) atm, and JS is definitely my preferred opener.

NB gives me magic damage, a 45 second sap, spammable combo builder that prevents stealth, a ranged finisher, and ranged snare. Will eventually give me 15% fire/death resistance and an anytime incap.

3rd class, I'm not so sure. I should have 13 points to play with at 50...maybe I'll even throw them into sab.

+ Reply to Thread