+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger pet Dire wolf is useless

Soulwalker

Default Ranger pet Dire wolf is useless

Please, whomever is in responsible for the Ranger class needs to fix the Dire wolf pet immediately. This pet is hopeless at holding aggro. The pet loses aggro after the couple of bow shots, and then the Ranger is forced to melee the mob everytime! What is the point of the Ranger if they can't use a ranged weapon at least most of the time? The fact that the Razorback's max level is 18 gives Rangers no usefull pet until level 22 which is apparently the max level of the Dire wolf. I assume someting else will be available then. Please, gives us a fix right away, either raise the level of the boar to 22 or fix the taunt of the wolf. The Dire wolf is a hopeless mess...

Rift Chaser

I said exactly the same thing. But what everyone told me is dont use the wolf. Use the rhino pet instead. The wolf is more of a dps pet but for when your in groups. If your not in a group its only going to get you killed.

lol

your wolf is your dps pet, it isn't meant to hold agro. It should be useful to you in dungeons and pvp

Rift Disciple

Boar - Tank
    Wolf - PvP
    Raptor - PvE

Soulwalker

Well what is a 19+ Ranger supposed to solo with if the Boar max level is 18? If no other pet can hold aggro then what??? a lvl 30 Ranger is supposed to use a lvl 18 pet?

Plane Touched

You can get call: greater razorbeast at lvl 24 with 24 points into the ranger tree.

Sounds like you need to respec (and possibly visit the trainer for skill upgrades).
    Last edited by Alise; 03-26-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Rift Disciple

IIRC: As long as you are training your call razorbeast ranks it will level with you until 30.

Maybe its time to hit the trainer?

Soulwalker

Ahh, so at 24 there is a useful pet. So between 18-24 the Ranger class is supposed to struggle? Because I'm assuming a tank pet several levels below that of the mobs he is supposed to be tanking won't last very long, and given how fast pets can die in this game at the same level, well that just sounds brilliant. What game designer thinks this makes sense? I guess I'm just not going to understand this. I'll continue to play until it looks like the class doesn't work anymore. If I get to that point; it will be game over.

Rift Disciple

I never once had my pet fall behind in levels until 30, and only then because I wasnt putting points in ranger.

Plane Walker

lol wolf is pvp pet he does -50% healing reduction

Pig has even AoE threat skill.

l2p

That said Ranger needs buff

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany11 View Post
    Ahh, so at 24 there is a useful pet. So between 18-24 the Ranger class is supposed to struggle? Because I'm assuming a tank pet several levels below that of the mobs he is supposed to be tanking won't last very long, and given how fast pets can die in this game at the same level, well that just sounds brilliant. What game designer thinks this makes sense? I guess I'm just not going to understand this. I'll continue to play until it looks like the class doesn't work anymore. If I get to that point; it will be game over.
    Your pet will level the same as you do. As long as you go to the trainer every even level your pet will continue to level. If you put enough points into ranger you can get the Greater Boar which will level past 30. If your pet is not your level you need to visit the trainer. I am amazed how many people think just because they get a new pet the new pet should automatically be the new tanking pet.

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

+ Reply to Thread