+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged attacks with cast times shouldn't be a DPS loss.

Telaran

Default Ranged attacks with cast times shouldn't be a DPS loss.

Assertion: MM and Ranger has many useless skills, because pretty much any combo point building ability with a cast time leads to a DPS loss.

This shows an inherently broken system, assuming the design is to have the majority of different skills be interesting choices and not vestigial red herrings that aren't supposed to be used. Take the Ranger rotation, quite a few nifty skills that aren't used because they have cast times. Instead of an art of trying to weave in casts so your quick shot bleeds do as much possible, you macro a shot designed for PVP and a debuff shot along with your level 1 ranged attack and mash it.

Conclusion: Assuming someone would design skills to be used and be effective, there should be changes made so that the cast time skills aren't a conclusive DPS loss.

Assertion: MM and Ranger DPS isn't as competitive as people would like.

Seeing as many people are struggling to break 600 DPS on live with very good gear and Ranger or MM specs, looking at Greenscale raids 600 DPS is lowish and a raid full of 600 DPS members would not make enrages, from what I've seen. Assuming a perfect world and there's no reason your class is at a disadvantage (such as melee-unfriendly fights) if the best you can offer is not enough on any fight, then the balance is broken and unrewarding. No one likes being carried, and I've yet to see a class on live that has a seriously hard time breaking 700 DPS, rogues included. Saboteurs can easily break that, because the soul is overpowered - but we're not asking for an incredibly easy class that easily tops charts, we want a complex class that rewards creative rotations, good micromanagement of DoTs, buffs and uptimes, and a skill ceiling that surpasses enrage timers of raid content.

Conclusion: MM and Ranger DPS should be buffed marginally, in waves until the head pops above the water.

How should it be buffed? I think the easiest solution would be to link the two above points together, unlink autoshot from cast timers. Direct DPS increase, and leads to a much greater potential out of what they can do. Would this greatly unbalance anything? Not that I'm aware.

I'm not trying to be greedy, and I don't know that would fix the DPS issue. But it'd be one small step, and it'd be nice to feel a little ranged rogue love.
    Last edited by Shaulter; 03-26-2011 at 03:02 AM.

unlink autoshot from cast timers would be a great start...
    The overman...Who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment.

Shield of Telara

the only canst timet hat is a DPS loss is empowered shot... but marks blows anyways at this point...

if you play ranger properly both the casted shots are DPS increases... but then again thinking the current MMO communty can play anything correctly or even with a moderate level of skill is like asking to the titantic to finish its voyage home

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post
    the only canst timet hat is a DPS loss is empowered shot... but marks blows anyways at this point...

if you play ranger properly both the casted shots are DPS increases... but then again thinking the current MMO communty can play anything correctly or even with a moderate level of skill is like asking to the titantic to finish its voyage home
    Is it a dream?
    Nay but the lack of it the dream,
    And failing it life's lore and wealth a dream
    And all the world a dream.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post

Oh really? This is wonderful news, then! I'd love to see the parses where you see this data! This could be quite a find, and might help us out in the long run.

+ Reply to Thread