+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does "Up to 5 players" work?

Default How does "Up to 5 players" work?

Im playing a bard which will likely get hit by a healing nerf in the next patch according to whats on Alpha.

Incredibly enough, Im not here to whine about it, just to understand better the mechanics the game uses

When the game says "Heals up to 5 players", will that mean that the 5 closest players to my bard get "healed", even if they are at full life, or will it mean that the 5 closest players -who actually need healing- will get healed?

Im alright with my regen song only affecting 5 players, its more than enough, I think. But if they coded it so that if the 5 closest players are full and the 6th player needs healing and doesnt get it, that would be pretty sad. Im only asking because I played another game where it worked exactly like that - Id waste healing on the closest players even if they didnt need it.

Anyone knows how exactly it works in Rift "under the hood"?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Valamyr View Post
    Im playing a bard which will likely get hit by a healing nerf in the next patch according to whats on Alpha.

Incredibly enough, Im not here to whine about it, just to understand better the mechanics the game uses

When the game says "Heals up to 5 players", will that mean that the 5 closest players to my bard get "healed", even if they are at full life, or will it mean that the 5 closest players -who actually need healing- will get healed?

Im alright with my regen song only affecting 5 players, its more than enough, I think. But if they coded it so that if the 5 closest players are full and the 6th player needs healing and doesnt get it, that would be pretty sad. Im only asking because I played another game where it worked exactly like that - Id waste healing on the closest players even if they didnt need it.

Anyone knows how exactly it works in Rift "under the hood"?
    I would also like to know this aswell.
    Originally Posted by Rawne
    Awww, are we resorting to insults?

And here was me thinking we could bestest friends and skip through fields of corn on a summers day.

Now i'm at a loss what to do, should I fly into a nerd rage and hurl insults back, slope off into a corner crying tears of frustration due to someone i'm never likely to have the pleasure of meeting saying mean things to me on a forum, cancel my pre order due to random stranger hinting that I may "sux at my class" because I didn't bother to check my dps while playing a beta for 2 days (because it's a new game ... my dps at this stage means so much it's like a burning pain in my chest) or do I offer the hug of joy and forget about it all......

Ahh the choices.....

Ascendant

24/3 patch notes says "* Motif of Regeneration: Now uses smart healing to select targets - those with the lowest health of available targets nearby.
    "
    I suppose that chloro and justi aoe will follow - so you will heal the five with lowest health from your groupmates in range.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Rift Disciple

This is also relevant for chloro's. I assumed, when I read the patch notes, that it would be programmed such that it would only try to heal players who had a health deficit. That is the assumption I will continue to operate under until such time as someone finds out for sure, as any other method (such as only being able to heal the 5 closest people) would be stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    Pyro strong 1 shot dead many. Fireball hit me no even at back. Strong too much and no caring if fix??!! No players more if pyro strong.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    24/3 patch notes says "* Motif of Regeneration: Now uses smart healing to select targets - those with the lowest health of available targets nearby.
    "
    I suppose that chloro and justi aoe will follow - so you will heal the five with lowest health from your groupmates in range.
    All other forms of group healing (including Chloro, Justicar and other Bard abilities) already use smart healing.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    All other forms of group healing (including Chloro, Justicar and other Bard abilities) already use smart healing.
    Define "smart".

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeth View Post
    Define "smart".
    Read the patch notes that were quoted: those with the lowest health of available targets nearby.

A real question: Lowest numerical health or lowest percentage health?
    Last edited by rainyman; 03-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Ascendant

Most likely lowest percentage. But there's rarely going to be a situation where you have to choose between someone at 20% health and someone with 1050 health with a max HP of 5k (21%). More than likely, your heals will catch both of them. For Chloromancers and clerics, that is what direct heals are for. For bards, their duty is to provide that buffer to keep that choice from ever occurring.

Telaran

Except that currently smart healing includes pets and if this is not changed for the patch the 5 target limit will be an incredible issue. That is unless pets get actual good AE reduction talents, as opposed to the ones currently available.

Shadowlander

Sorry if I missed a post stating the same since I kinda breezed through this thread, but I don't see why they couldn't just make it heal the 5 players closest to you + any pets (or npc's attached to a player) in that range (where pets do not count as the number of players).

I suppose on the bright side I guess it gives a reason to bring more than one bard to what you are doing since the regen doesn't stack (or it didn't in warfronts for me.. we just overwrote each other).

I guess the only issue I have with this change, and again I stress I do not main play a rogue so this doesn't really do much for me anyways is this, how can you rely on the assumptions that the coding for "smart healing" makes? sometimes you have to heal one person and let another die in order to save a party or a raid. can it do that? doubtfully.

I wish bards well, they make an awesome addition to any group and I think it should be a fun class to play. I hope it still is.

Ascendant

I do know it DOES include pets.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    "
    Motif of regeneration is getting the only 5 people restriction too?

How will that work? Can't I just cast it 3 times in a row and put it on 20 people?

Ascendant

Its 5 nearby targets.....or whatever range that spell has....so I guess if you did it more than once and more people needed it?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogg View Post
    Motif of regeneration is getting the only 5 people restriction too?

How will that work? Can't I just cast it 3 times in a row and put it on 20 people?
    Motif of Regeneration is being lowered to 10 not 5. It's now a buff that sits on the Bard and pulses a smart heal to up to 10 targets every 3 seconds.

Hm, interesting.

(THERE WAS WALL OF TEXT HERE, SHH. >.>)
    Last edited by KillerKiwii; 03-25-2011 at 08:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast