+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centralized Source for Rogue/Assassin Information?

Default Centralized Source for Rogue/Assassin Information?

Does there exist a solid and reputable source for rogue information and discussion? Similar to what ElitistJerks was to WoW. I know there exists a lot of uncertainties to various aspects to the rogue and its souls so I thought maybe there'd be a place that could define specifically what to gear for for each soul, what runes to use, best in slot, best practices, noob stuff, etc. Just one big learn to play better encyclopedia for us rogues.
    Sayaka the Heartless <Vanguard> | Assassin/Ranger/Bard | Guardian of Deepstrike (PvP)

Nah? Stupid question?
    Sayaka the Heartless <Vanguard> | Assassin/Ranger/Bard | Guardian of Deepstrike (PvP)

Rift Chaser

Riftjunkies has a ton of info, but then again, so do these forums

Neither has been very centralized nor very clear. Plus RJ hardly goes beneath the surface.

Make one yourself!

Sure, it's work, but you'll be a far better player for it if you go and research/verify everything yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Quote Originally Posted by Furienify View Post
    Make one yourself!

Sure, it's work, but you'll be a far better player for it if you go and research/verify everything yourself.
    There have been a few attempts at this namely:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ips-Tricks-Etc
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ide(vers.-2.0)
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...e-New-Assassin

Plus some others, but that's just a sample. And they appear to have fallen by the wayside.
    Last edited by Sayaka; 03-25-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Soulwalker

i tried to make a thread of organized problems/fixes but it seems that everyone in this forum just wants to complain ab out how overpowered warriors are and how underpowered rogues are, without o defining any problems clearly or offering any solutions.

Enjoy your trolling thats all you will find here, and Trion will never fix the bugs because of all the consecutive pages of ******** that no one wants to read.

See, the only reason I ask if there's a secret source of information somewhere is that I always find myself with questions like what trinkets should I be working towards, what runes should I be running on my gear, what stats on gear should I be focusing toward (AP vs Crit), roations, parses, napkin math... just overall ****ing progression. Am I alone in this regard? I sure as hell hope not. I do realize that some of these questions could be resolved with a good item database like Wowhead but ZAM is slowly getting there... slowly.

And yes, I like playing an assassin for PvE DPS, I want to maximize the potential for that soul, I don't want to play sab.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sayaka View Post
    See, the only reason I ask if there's a secret source of information somewhere is that I always find myself with questions like what trinkets should I be working towards, what runes should I be running on my gear, what stats on gear should I be focusing toward (AP vs Crit), roations, parses, napkin math... just overall ****ing progression. Am I alone in this regard? I sure as hell hope not. I do realize that some of these questions could be resolved with a good item database like Wowhead but ZAM is slowly getting there... slowly.

And yes, I like playing an assassin for PvE DPS, I want to maximize the potential for that soul, I don't want to play sab.
    You realize when the information hits the point you want it to -- this is when games essentially just become a big math equation (which is what they are to begin with, but at least there are variables to deal with) and aren't much fun to play...

This is one of the reasons people cry so much about WoW. It's been reduced down to nothing more than a number crunch. People know exactly how to eek out the best numbers, exactly how to counteract other numbers (boss damage for example) and thusly know exactly what makeup to use, what mechanics are important for the encounter, before the damn boss is even released.

Its commendable to want to get the most out of your class and the most out of yourself as a player, but what should make that a rewarding process is the running of numbers, the tweaking of specs, finding synergies between talents. It's really easy to test anything, all you need is a parser and the 50g needed to respec.

I don't know, I can understand if that's not someone's thing, but be careful what you wish for. Sometimes when everything is available outright for easy consumption it'll trivialize the output you were looking for.

That's my take anywho.

Shield of Telara

This is a cry for "point me to everything i want to know. I dont want to do any leg work/research myself"?

I mean a request for a centralized DB isnt unreasonable but the game has been out a month how great do you think this sort of resource will be at the moment? Just look around and do a bit of digging you can find everything within the first 2 pages of these forums or on many other sites.

Unhappy

Does there exist a solid and reputable source for rogue information and discussion? Similar to what ElitistJerks was to WoW. I know there exists a lot of uncertainties to various aspects to the rogue and its souls so I thought maybe there'd be a place that could define specifically what to gear for for each soul, what runes to use, best in slot, best practices, noob stuff, etc. Just one big learn to play better encyclopedia for us rogues.
    I think part of the problem is trying to make a sustained dps melee. Inherintley bad for 5 man trash and the capping in a long boss fight. Melee is taking a beating in the rogue tree , sab aand ranger blow them awaay with staying out of aoes and radius attacks. We do about as much damage a necro dots in ingle target sustained .right now end game is geared towards ranged . No benefit in melee dps when ranged do more with less risk. Assassin is pvp or solo lvl

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    You realize when the information hits the point you want it to -- this is when games essentially just become a big math equation (which is what they are to begin with, but at least there are variables to deal with) and aren't much fun to play...

This is one of the reasons people cry so much about WoW. It's been reduced down to nothing more than a number crunch. People know exactly how to eek out the best numbers, exactly how to counteract other numbers (boss damage for example) and thusly know exactly what makeup to use, what mechanics are important for the encounter, before the damn boss is even released.

Its commendable to want to get the most out of your class and the most out of yourself as a player, but what should make that a rewarding process is the running of numbers, the tweaking of specs, finding synergies between talents. It's really easy to test anything, all you need is a parser and the 50g needed to respec.

I don't know, I can understand if that's not someone's thing, but be careful what you wish for. Sometimes when everything is available outright for easy consumption it'll trivialize the output you were looking for.

That's my take anywho.
    That's a whole lot of FUD. Really, I don't care about parsing, I don't even do it myself. I just want to beat the snot out of a boss and feel good knowing I'm putting out the best damage I can. If people get off on crunching some numbers and running equations, so ****ing be it, they can do whatever makes them happy. Everyone just needs to stop giving a **** about stuff like this and just play the damn game however you want. So what if people may be parsed and held up to a standard, if you don't like it, handle it. Also, this is a completely different subject that I don't even want to get into. I'd rather avoid it if possible mostly since I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Wifeagro View Post
    I think part of the problem is trying to make a sustained dps melee. Inherintley bad for 5 man trash and the capping in a long boss fight. Melee is taking a beating in the rogue tree , sab aand ranger blow them awaay with staying out of aoes and radius attacks. We do about as much damage a necro dots in ingle target sustained .right now end game is geared towards ranged . No benefit in melee dps when ranged do more with less risk. Assassin is pvp or solo lvl
    I have to agree with you on this. I originally typed out a lengthy response but realized that it's probably all redundant. I just need to finish setting up my ranger build. God help me if I have to play ranged until the assassin and even melee in general is fixed for PvE.

Champion

That's a whole lot of FUD. Really, I don't care about parsing, I don't even do it myself. I just want to beat the snot out of a boss and feel good knowing I'm putting out the best damage I can. If people get off on crunching some numbers and running equations, so ****ing be it, they can do whatever makes them happy. Everyone just needs to stop giving a **** about stuff like this and just play the damn game however you want. So what if people may be parsed and held up to a standard, if you don't like it, handle it. Also, this is a completely different subject that I don't even want to get into. I'd rather avoid it if possible mostly since I don't really care.
    Well, then why do you expect to be spoonfed this "FUD"? You just said you don't care about parsing, so do whatever you want, stand there auto attacking the boss if it dies, you've had fun and are not being held up to any standard.... then why do you care about these "resources."

The resources you're asking for are exactly what you're saying you don't care about -- baffling.

Telaran

I sense this thread going south fast. Don't feed the trolls people. If you don't think there could be a better place to host information useful to Rift rogues, then fine for you don't derail a very valid question themed thread.

I think the OP was originally just wanting to ask if anyone knew of a better place to collaborate with other people as to the ins and outs of the rogue class. I think we can all agree that the official Rift forum is a troll fest and has more posts filled with hate than honest feedback on specs, gear, etc.

If anyone has started, found, or just knows of a place similar to EJ, then please feel free to post it. You can hide behind me if you want to avoid blasts from the trolls. I have thick skin and deal with their fire breathing ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast