+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank you Trion for the Bard class!

Default Thank you Trion for the Bard class!

I find it funny that so many people are crying about classes and changes.
    Play the class you enjoy, don't go for the "this class is the best right now" play style. Enjoy the game, have some fun.
    I for one LOVE the bard class, after playing one for many years in EQ it brings back so many memories. (granted the bard in RIFT is no GOD like it was in EQ, but it is still very fun) The Bard is not meant to be a super healer, super dps etc. The Bard is a "jack of all trades" able to fulfill the group/raid role that is needing a little more oomph. If you know how to play the class you can make any group much better. You help the healers, buff the group with damage reduction, dps boost and so much more.
    The reason i started playing RIFT was because a friend of mine told me there was a bard class (sadly there is no MONK class either that would be heaven again) and i was hooked.
    So thank you again Trion for adding the Bard to your game, i will be happy to play the tunes that keep my mates alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardos View Post
    Play the class you enjoy, don't go for the "this class is the best right now" play style. Enjoy the game, have some fun.
    I for one LOVE the bard class, after playing one for many years in EQ it brings back so many memories. (granted the bard in RIFT is no GOD like it was in EQ, but it is still very fun) The Bard is not meant to be a super healer, super dps etc. The Bard is a "jack of all trades" able to fulfill the group/raid role that is needing a little more oomph. If you know how to play the class you can make any group much better. You help the healers, buff the group with damage reduction, dps boost and so much more.
    The reason i started playing RIFT was because a friend of mine told me there was a bard class (sadly there is no MONK class either that would be heaven again) and i was hooked.
    So thank you again Trion for adding the Bard to your game, i will be happy to play the tunes that keep my mates alive and well.
    Good luck with that part.

Ascendant

This isn't even remotely close to the EQ bard aside from the fact that they both use a lute.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kardos View Post
    I for one LOVE the bard class, after playing one for many years in EQ it brings back so many memories. (granted the bard in RIFT is no GOD like it was in EQ, but it is still very fun) The Bard is not meant to be a super healer, super dps etc. The Bard is a [B]"jack of all trades"[/B} able to fulfill the group/raid role that is needing a little more oomph. If you know how to play the class you can make any group much better. You help the healers, buff the group with damage reduction, dps boost and so much more.
    A jack of all trade is a class able to do it all. Tank, healing and DPS. We can't really do the tanking and I wouldn't really consider us DPS, but I agree with the rest of your post. These changes to Bard won't break 5 man and they will encourage having more than one healer and a Bard for raids. So much doom and gloom in this forum. :/ *And so many Bards trying to be the best DPS. >>

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Flares View Post
    And so many Bards trying to be the best DPS.
    That's me, I'm a dps bard

We've had several players in my guild reroll / start 'late' - I've been super-duper thankful for my bard soul to play that ".5" healer in 'easy' experts and 50 dungeons. I'm greeding on gear to vendor/salvage at this point, but those buffs and indirect heals have really shined with undergeared healers in the party. Being able to switch to DPS (and eventually tank - current itemization has me waiting to have enough plaques to buy gear until the itemization update patch hopefully provides other options) when it's not needed is great. Bards may not be DPS kings, but they absolutely have their place. And it is a very happy place.

Despite issues with rogue I too am having a great time with rift and plan on sticking around for a long time to come. Glad you found a class you enjoy and welcome aboard!

Eep
    Shadowlander

i love this class but i get the feeling more and more than my guildies are carrying me.

I used to have a boffbot shaman in daoc running on my 2nd pc, yeah its kinda lame and im not proud. I would leave him in a safe area and buff my mates and myself with super buffs then play my hunter character killing stuff.

I feel like that shaman atm. When theres fights with decent but slow AoE i feel useful but thats not as frequent. Its like the buffbot came back to haunt me.

Ascendant

The Rift bard is nothing like the EQ bard because the EQ bard was actually useful

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Xney View Post
    The Rift bard is nothing like the EQ bard because the EQ bard was actually useful
    The Rifts Bard isnt the god that the EQ1 bard was, nor does it have the uniqueness of the VG bard, but to say it isn't useful is just plain wrong. Bards make every encounter go just that little bit easier; e.g.
    Entire group takes 5% less damage has more armour and HP, all heals are increased in power, back up heals are applied with the option for instant cast spam emergency healing by the time you hit 31. Mobs take more damage and coupled with other classes they can have decent finishers to.

Mez isn't fantastic in this game as durations are balanced around PvP rather than PvE, but even a moderately well played bard makes encounters easier.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Talan View Post
    The Rifts Bard isnt the god that the EQ1 bard was, nor does it have the uniqueness of the VG bard, but to say it isn't useful is just plain wrong. Bards make every encounter go just that little bit easier; e.g.
    Entire group takes 5% less damage has more armour and HP, all heals are increased in power, back up heals are applied with the option for instant cast spam emergency healing by the time you hit 31. Mobs take more damage and coupled with other classes they can have decent finishers to.

Mez isn't fantastic in this game as durations are balanced around PvP rather than PvE, but even a moderately well played bard makes encounters easier.
    Chloro/Archon does all of that (minus 2 buffs) while doing better healing and damage. Whats your point?

Bard is not useless, but they are not needed anywhere (1 per raid lulz). When you hit a min/max raid, you will feel the pain of rogues. If you never hit that, then more power to you.
    Last edited by Lotusfreek; 03-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Talan View Post

The question isn't whether bards make things better or easier, but whether another class in the spot wouldn't make it even easier or better.

1) heals - bard reals are terrible except for slow constant AOE type damage. Compare to the Chloro which has amazing heals (though single target)

2) buffs - sure, they're nice, but nobody is going to keep a spot open for them. I'll take another healer or dps over 5% less damage or 5% more heals, thanks.

3) dps - very low compared to actual dps classes.

Bringing more than 1 bard would be a massive mistake.

It's fine if a bard is bad at heals, buffs, or dps, or two of them, but they need to at least do one of them really well, or a combination decently well. Right now, it's just ugly.

People spend too much time looking at warfront scores and not considering the impact of things.

Soulwalker

The bard seems a bit underpowered at the present (especially if you compare with Saboteurs, Champions and Pyromancers).

I like the concept very much though and would hate to see this class be marginalized. The nerf to raid healing was probably a good decision but I'm afraid bards will not be in very high demand for harder dungeons, raids or PvP.

Bard's only problem is it's insanely simplistic and boring. Motifs, debuffs, lots of cadence. I literally play with one hand and sip my tea with another. Compared to the more chaotic playstyle of Riftstalker or Bladedancer it's a stroll through the tulips.

Useless? Hardly. 110-180* per second heals to your party from Cadence and then the same tick from Motif of Restoration, with 600-700* bursts from VoV / CoR, +5% to attributes for all, -5% to damage taken for the tank, +5% crit for all, +7% non-physical and +5% physical damage taken by the enemy, +5% healing taken, Verse of Joy for your co-healer, attribute buffs and Anthems... I have no idea how this all amounts to "useless".

*Based on my gear/build.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Bard's only problem is it's insanely simplistic and boring. Motifs, debuffs, lots of cadence. I literally play with one hand and sip my tea with another. Compared to the more chaotic playstyle of Riftstalker or Bladedancer it's a stroll through the tulips.

*Based on my gear/build.
    Well, at least I got my name right then. hehe

+ Reply to Thread