+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TRION: marksman-what is the intended focus?

Default TRION: marksman-what is the intended focus?

This seems to be a soul designed by committee with no clear sense of purpose.

On the one hand you have movement enhancements that seem perfect for a class intended to kite mobs hither and yon. Yet, there are few places in the world that mob density and terrain allow kiting. Not to mention almost everything you run, err, kite from will snare you into immobility in an eyeblink.

On the other hand you have skills that demand a stationary class that is little more than a turret what with the long cast times on many skills, and dependence on pedestals to achieve adequate DPS numbers.

All these combined with weak native DPS lead to a confused half-breed of a class soul. One playstyle demanding mobility, another fixed stability.
    So if they bother to go 51 points in for optimal damage a player of either style would have to waste points on talents pointless to their style in the best of cases.

So just wondering if this forgotten soul actually had a point, or if it was just a catch all for those skills someone couldn't find a better place for?

/signed I am also curious about this. Especially the kiting versus cast time abilities/pedestals thing...
    "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

The road that goes past Perspice is perfect for kiting :P Clearly ment for us kiting, when there's not packs of elites flooding out of the woods there!

Well, for both Marksman and Ranger you can't really kite an elite nor will ONE ranger pet be sufficient to tank it in most cases.

The damage output of both are pretty low compared to what I should be.

Like i've said before, we're like angry mosquitos, loads of attacks with easily healable damage.
    We need to pack a punch, I've yet to see a marks or ranger crit for 2k with buffs and debuffs on the designated target with the 36 dps bow.

Does Trion want us to be the same lame kiting class that Hunters are in the game we do not speak of loudly? It's really not enjoyable to be forced to kite or actually run away from every class, even the other casters because we lack the dps to pressure.
    Pvp? we're forced into the MM soul just for the sheer need for extra range.
    Pve? Ranger and Marksman actually have some nice talents that should synergize with eachother but it doesn't work out in pve because both trees have abilities and skills that hit like my grandmother.

Pedestal are a awful mechanic in a movility soul like the Marksman.
    And the +10% damage of the first one is hardly noticeable, don't know about the 51 point one.

In PVP is worst, we need the entire pedestal feature removed. Or implement some OP variety, like Pedestal of Strenght.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Plane Touched

yeah, I hate the pedestals. I think that is one thing that everyone can agree on... they suck. As stated above, they also go against the mobility given by most of the other moves/talents. There is a lot of level 50 raid hate against Marksmen out there... and I think Trion needs to address this with some sort of change.

Since everyone clearly hates the pedestals, and since they go against the mobility of the class... why not replace them with another mechanic, more suiting to the rest of the class? Something that leads to shooting faster, more rapid fire like strafe would be awesome. It is in line with the class, and 1 min cooldown on strafe sux.

I wanted to play marksmen since beta, but I switched to sabo after the heavy pre-release nerfs to MM. I now switched back, since Sabo is getting heavily nerfed in 1.1 but I just don't feel like I am contributing to my raids, like I am supposed to be. Everyone keeps telling me to switch to Ranger or NB... but those are not the souls that I want.

Why does marks exist if so many seem to agree it is not worth using at 50? Why does Trion ignore this in every patch, and continually nerf rogues? Are rogues really so OP that one or more of their souls must be nerfed every patch?
    Last edited by Bartimus; 03-25-2011 at 05:33 AM.

The problem with Marksman and Ranger is that one has another that the other needs. Ranger has some mobility skills (snare) and instant cast abilities, when it is better suited for Marksman and Marksman has some long cast time abilities that a Ranger needs due to pet holding aggro and less need to position.

I am getting really tired of the lack of synergy with ranged souls, along with piss poor DPS.

I am ok with playing a Ranger in PvE dungeons, because AOE is king in dungeons and raids and running Marksman for PvP, because Burst damage and mobility is key.

It just seems to me that Rogue just simply are not performing at the level necessary to be viable for PvE and PvP, when you could instead pick a Warrior even after their so-called "nerfs" that out performs Rogues.

I am seriously considering if I want to continue my sub after my initial month. I feel like I have wasted my time playing the game to find out that I have no room in a raid, because every other class out performs a DPS class in DPS.

yeah i wish they would get rid of the whole "kiting" class thing.

I don't mind pedestals if maybe we got a few more and they were actually useful. if we have to stand still then make it worth my while to stand there. Snipers Pedestal is nice but at 51 points? really?

maybe give us a few more pedestals but give them different USEFUL effects and definitely lower the point cost of snipers pedestal.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

I agree. It's more practical to run the Ranger soul without the pet to achieve some of Marksman's goals. Marksman is probably the ranged rogue raid spec.
    Last edited by Dink; 03-25-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dink View Post
    I agree. It's more practical to run the Ranger soul without the pet to achieve some of Marksman's goals. Marksman is probably the ranged rogue raid spec.
    Disagree. Ranger is beast in Dungeon and Raid PvE. AOE is awesome. When I am in a dungeon and one of my guildy's running MM. My Ranger stomps him in DPS due to AOE. I parsed it.

The only time he spikes above me is when we get to a boss fight with no adds, because Ranger single target blows. My deficiency can be corrected by switching to a MM soul when the situation arises and greatly surpass a solitary MM running through an entire dungeon and/or raid.

I like it because you sometimes use a ped, sometimes not. Kiting and using swift shot/hasted shot you obviously don't. Cast time abilities you should drop a ped first. With a pet keeping aggro in pve you don't have to bother with kiting, just drop the ped and get to work.

+ Reply to Thread