+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WoW hunter = Rift ???

Plane Touched

Default WoW hunter = Rift ???

Hello Rogue community.

I have leveled my rogue to 50 (Assassin) and have really started to love Rift. I want to get heavily into PvP but I have never liked melee in pvp. I played a WoW hunter for 6+ years and have gotten pretty darn good as a pvper with it. So I'm wondering if there's a rough Rift equivalent?

Even though I'm a rogue, I'm pretty clueless about the ranged aspect of our calling.

So I ask:

Would anyone be able to share a decent starter PvP spec with me?

I always hated the clunkiness of pets, so I'd be perfectly happy as something besides a Ranger. But if it's solid, then I'd appreciate input on it.

I've read a lot about how ranged rogues are gimped in pvp. That doesn't matter to me. I figure a player who controls his or her toon well will have at least some measure of success in pvp.

I've searched all over google and the Rift forums for spec information. But the bulk of specs I have found were from beta before an (apparently) huge nerf to Marksman.

Any help appreciated.

Also, I do have my Infiltrator soul, but only Prestige rank 1.

Well, the options have dwindled for ranged rogues between the aforementioned MM reduction at end of Beta, Ranger pet clunkiness, and the impending Sabo readjustment soon to arrive.

Being a Hunter in WoW for 6 years, I'd have figured you loved the pet mechanics unless you are just sick of management. Cause really, the Pet UI is virtually the same as WoWs and so far in my experience the pathing has been pretty solid for pets in Rift.

Marks have the advantage in Open World PvP thanks to speed buffs, decent cooldown abililities that'll allow you to burst damage for a short while and not having to rely on pet for 20-35% of your overall dps.

In warfronts, much of the speed buff advtange gets neutralized. You still have the CD abilities, but with sustained fighting you'll be effective for 15-20 sec every 2-3 minutes or so.

I leveled my rogue primarily as a Ranger till 38 (currently going melee) on a PVP server, and while I was set up more for PvE effectiveness, I still tried to have an eye towards the inevitable PKers looking for a fight. Ranger was pretty meh in dealing with them. If I had the jump 1v1, I was usually good. If they had jump, yaaaah...I was typically done for. Really no burst to speak of, other than lucky string of crits!

I'd say try out the MM for PvP, if you don't like it, respecs are cheap enough and test drive the Ranger. To be effective with ranger tho you really need to go deep in the soul. MM you can probably mix in higher points to other 2 souls.

I'd help out with actual builds, but I'm not 50 yet and just thought I'd relate my experiences thus far.

I'm pretty content with ranger dps so far. Hoping warriors get brought down to par with it for sure. My concerns with ranger are more a matter of cosmetics at this point. We are given only 3 pets and zero customization, aside from naming it something unique. I do believe the devs will eventually release skins we can overlay on top of 3 pets we get. Adding some variation to our class. Much needed if you ask me.

Plane Touched

Thanks for the input.

I enjoyed pets in WoW for awhile. But after so long I'm just sick of playing a pet class.

If you're familiar with WoW hunters, then you know how hard it is to keep your pet alive in massive PvP (Warfronts in this situation). The alternative being keeping it at your side (for some very clunky abilities in WoW) and losing a chunk of your DPS.

So marksman does sound a little more appealing. But I'm hoping for at least some spec ideas. I threw a spec together along with ranger and assassin (I love perma stealth) but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of goodies elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I enjoyed pets in WoW for awhile. But after so long I'm just sick of playing a pet class.

If you're familiar with WoW hunters, then you know how hard it is to keep your pet alive in massive PvP (Warfronts in this situation). The alternative being keeping it at your side (for some very clunky abilities in WoW) and losing a chunk of your DPS.

So marksman does sound a little more appealing. But I'm hoping for at least some spec ideas. I threw a spec together along with ranger and assassin (I love perma stealth) but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of goodies elsewhere.
    Putting most points possible into Ranger, pet was fairly resilient with regard to AEs in WF honestly, unless a couple people took exception to the wolf or raptor, then they go down hard. Some entire WF my pet would never die and I'd hardly worry about healing him. Othertimes, 1 or 2 of the players made it their mission to kill the pet asap. Instant pet call is handy, but 2 min cool down.

MM definately have more Oooh Nice shot hits for potential putdown power.

+ Reply to Thread