+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macro Question

Soulwalker

Default Macro Question

Hi,

I've read a few articles and thread on macro. From what I've gathered. this combo seem to be a popular one

cast reprisal
    cast twilight force
    cast precision strike
    cast quick strike
    cast keen strike

So I created a one macro with that above. My question is, do I press it once and wait for it to cycle through those 5 above or is it similar to WoW /castsequence where I have to keep pressing?

Also can other share what is their favorite or good grinding macro?

I have one role being Blade Dancer / Riftstalker / Assasin -- this being my melee role

second role being Ranger / Marksman / Saborteur

Thanks.

Soulwalker

Default not 100% sure but

i know when you use a macro with a off GCD ability and a on GCD ability it says only one ability can be cast per macro so id imagine it goes thru and tries to cast each one but fails either due to CD or the GCD from using an ability (keen strike wouldnt fail obv) at least i think thats how it works, not 100% sure though

Quote Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
    i know when you use a macro with a off GCD ability and a on GCD ability it says only one ability can be cast per macro so id imagine it goes thru and tries to cast each one but fails either due to CD or the GCD from using an ability (keen strike wouldnt fail obv) at least i think thats how it works, not 100% sure though
    You can get around that failure notice by typing suppressmacrofailures

Like this:

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Puncture
    cast Keen Strike

just as an example

Soulwalker

but all that does it suppress the error message. It doesn't do anything else i dnt think

Soulwalker

Suppressmacrofailures only removes the error text "Only one ability can be used per marcro".

You asked "My question is, do I press it once and wait for it to cycle through those 5 above or is "

No, you have to keep on hammering the macro every 1.5 second. Cast-sequence is /to my knowledge/ not applicable in Rift.

And if you manage to get an ability that isn't on a global coodown, you need to hammer the macro twice as quick as possible;
    - Your first pressing will trigger the non-global-CD-ability
    - Your second pressing will trigger the next available ability with a global CD

In the above case you do NOT need to wait 1.5 second between pressings. You can do that part as quickly as you can.

Soulwalker

Couldn't edit my above post, so here goes:

I just read somebody saying rogues have a 1 second GCD. This doesn't affect the way things work regarding you macro-question - just how long time you have to wait between pressing buttongs.

Perhaps somebody can clarify how long the GCD is for rogues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Pot View Post
    Couldn't edit my above post, so here goes:

I just read somebody saying rogues have a 1 second GCD. This doesn't affect the way things work regarding you macro-question - just how long time you have to wait between pressing buttongs.

Perhaps somebody can clarify how long the GCD is for rogues?
    Rogue GCD is 1 second
    All else 1.5 seconds

Soulwalker

Thanks Ulrik! /bows/

Quote Originally Posted by detowne View Post
    You can get around that failure notice by typing suppressmacrofailures

Like this:

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Puncture
    cast Keen Strike

just as an example
    Sweet. That error message has always bugged me. Thanks!

is there anyway for a macro to not begin if your cast didn't go off due to no energy or do I just have to be careful(I use a wait macro tied to motif, and if I cast that macro it won't let me recast if I used it while having no energy / being silenced / stunned)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Waananii View Post
    is there anyway for a macro to not begin if your cast didn't go off due to no energy or do I just have to be careful(I use a wait macro tied to motif, and if I cast that macro it won't let me recast if I used it while having no energy / being silenced / stunned)
    You have to be careful about which abilities you macro together. Take the following:

cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

This is a basic macro that every BD uses. You have to cast Keen Strike before you can cast Precision or Quick.

Precision Strike costs 40 energy and has a 10 second cooldown. Quick Strike costs 30 energy and has no cooldown.

So the first time you hit the macro, it will cast Keen Strike. 2nd time, it will cast Precision Strike. 3rd time Keen and 4th time Quick (all subject to the GCD, of course).

But, let's say that Precision has completed its cooldown and you have just cast Keen Strike. You trigger the macro again to cast Precision but you only have 35 energy. Precision will fail and it will go to the next ability, Quick Strike. Since you have enough energy to cast Quick Strike and the requirement to cast it has been met (Keen) it will be cast.

So it is possible to miss out on Precision Strike casts with this macro.

The good news is that BD gets some talents to increase max energy by 20 and to return energy when using finishers, both of which help to mitigate this issue.

Soulwalker

Good responses. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread