+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LvL 50 marksman pvp spec

Rift Disciple

Default LvL 50 marksman pvp spec

I know marksmen arent in a good spot atm but could any1 who has the balls besides me to play marksman at lvl 50 please give me the best pvp spec they have found or come up with, Id like to compare notes.

Soulwalker

It seems you selected the right name, at least! I'm going to play one as well tho, too much fun in DAoC and WoW! Trion will get 'em fixed, I have faith!! Playing with calculator, not in game yet, might see if this one is viable, I like utility skills...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VzVudR.0AM0x0b
    Last edited by Twiztd; 03-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Twiztd View Post
    It seems you selected the right name, at least! I'm going to play one as well tho, too much fun in DAoC and WoW! Trion will get 'em fixed, I have faith!! Playing with calculator, not in game yet, might see if this one is viable, I like utility skills...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VzVudR.0AM0x0b
    ack, that was someone else's...same souls, different skill set

Soulwalker

Shadowlander

Marksmen are just fine in pvp, I can top damage and KB's no problem with my build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...hdR.VhtMGotRoo

I don't nuke like other people, I'll get some good 1300 crits with deadeye every once and a while, but that's not the strength of this build. This build is for shaming warriors. You have so many escapes and tools to keep them away that if they still manage to kill you then you need to just play something else.

Plus you get a healing debuff, which is just amazing.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Twiztd View Post
    Here is the main problem I see with your build: you lack ways to keep melee classes at bay. If a warrior or rogue gets on you the only method you have to free yourself and get back to range is repelling shot. Sure this will knock the melee player back 15 yards, be he will easily be able to immediately close that ground with a bull rush, shadow shift, etc. Now you have a melee on your back again and your repelling shot is still on its cool down for 20-25 more seconds. Your toast.

Without some slowing ability in conjunction with repelling shot, you will lose every time a melee players comes after you. This means in conjunction with a marksman heavy build you either need to take sabo for adhesive bomb or ranger for crippling shot. I would advise against sabo's adhesive bomb for three reason. First, it requires you target the ground to place the bomb. This can be tricky to do while you are trying to evade someone. Second, it has a 15 second cooldown. And third it only slows a player as he/she moves through the ground effect. Once they are through it they will be on you like a fly on sh*t. Ranger crippling shot on the other hand has a shorter cooldown (10 seconds), can be easily fired while on the move, has a 30+ meter range, and adds a combo point.

And if the melee DPS has some form of CC removal that negates your crippling shot, you might as well just lay down and die cause your not going to survive their huge burst DPS and CC once they catch you. The biggest problem with playing a MM or ranger is that in order to have a farts chance in a windstorm of beating a melee class you need to be able to kite them. To do this you need to keep them slowed so they cant close ground. With very few actual abilities to kite (you basically have crippling shot or adhesive bomb - both of which have longer cooldowns than their slowing effect), it makes it very tough to kite melee classes.

In all reality, a ranged rogue is only viable if no one pays attention to you and just lets you plink away. And with the somewhat lackluster ranger and MM damage, that pretty much is the case. But some players know an easy kill when they see one and will make a b-line for you.

BTW, I'm mostly referring to warfront PvP, not open world PvP.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 03-24-2011 at 10:02 PM.

I'm currently tinkering around with something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0tRqd0udo.Vcxc

Grabbed some "essential" utility in the MM tree to keep melee (read: Warriors) at bay, all the juicy +Crit talents i could snag in the Sin tree, and rounded it out with boosted AP and survivability from the RS tree. Some points could be shifted around in the RS tree for more survivability vs damage-dealing (especially in Tier 3), as well a little give-and-take in the MM tree depending on your playstyle/objective.

Overall, though, it feels pretty versatile in terms of setting up an attack (stealthing in and stacking up some buffs, nuking from afar, a combo of the two, etc), but does seem to rely heavily on getting buffs/procs up in order to do some real damage. I use it as more of a distraction/annoyance build to lure away heavy-hitters or healers, while my teammates take care of the greater focus.

A little fun "game" i like to play with stragglers in the Warfronts:
    Pop Stealth, Shadow Stalk behind them (+Crit buff), use Assassinate (+Dmg buff), and then either Shadow Shift away and nuke with Hit and Run or pop Close Quarters Combat and play with them bit before making my getaway.

Shadowlander

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....xx0R0b.x0tkVz got this on my rank 4 rogue
    Main CBP builders : Barbed Shot, Swift Shot, Twilight Force (when u need to slow someone) and empowered shot when u have 5x Heat retention up (or close to 5) and u need fast combo points on the target
    Finishers : scourge of darkness, Hasted Shot, Deadeye shot
    Weapon Enchants: Fell Blades (Allways up) , Cloudy poison or Hellfire blades (depending on the sitiuation)
    Def CDs: Twilight Shelter, Cleanse Soul Break Free

The main problem i had in this game was killing healers and it's close to imposible to kill them as pure MM so well, 32 points in NB kinda helps.

What u need to do to kill someone who gets healed is 1x barbed 4x swift if the target is moving, followed by anathema on the healer, scourge of darkness , build 5 cbps again and then Dark containment on the healer (and pray it doesnt break) and finish it with a Deadeye shot.

If u open on the healer it's best if u do it from stealth with smother, gives u enough time to build 5x cbps.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...MG0gkoo.x0tkVz
    This is a variant of the same build from above, i usually use this if the opposite team has a stun/root heavy setup
    Last edited by Influenza; 03-25-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Godzillamax View Post
    Here is the main problem I see with your build: you lack ways to keep melee classes at bay. If a warrior or rogue gets on you the only method you have to free yourself and get back to range is repelling shot. Sure this will knock the melee player back 15 yards, be he will easily be able to immediately close that ground with a bull rush, shadow shift, etc. Now you have a melee on your back again and your repelling shot is still on its cool down for 20-25 more seconds. Your toast.

Without some slowing ability in conjunction with repelling shot, you will lose every time a melee players comes after you. This means in conjunction with a marksman heavy build you either need to take sabo for adhesive bomb or ranger for crippling shot. I would advise against sabo's adhesive bomb for three reason. First, it requires you target the ground to place the bomb. This can be tricky to do while you are trying to evade someone. Second, it has a 15 second cooldown. And third it only slows a player as he/she moves through the ground effect. Once they are through it they will be on you like a fly on sh*t. Ranger crippling shot on the other hand has a shorter cooldown (10 seconds), can be easily fired while on the move, has a 30+ meter range, and adds a combo point.

And if the melee DPS has some form of CC removal that negates your crippling shot, you might as well just lay down and die cause your not going to survive their huge burst DPS and CC once they catch you. The biggest problem with playing a MM or ranger is that in order to have a farts chance in a windstorm of beating a melee class you need to be able to kite them. To do this you need to keep them slowed so they cant close ground. With very few actual abilities to kite (you basically have crippling shot or adhesive bomb - both of which have longer cooldowns than their slowing effect), it makes it very tough to kite melee classes.

In all reality, a ranged rogue is only viable if no one pays attention to you and just lets you plink away. And with the somewhat lackluster ranger and MM damage, that pretty much is the case. But some players know an easy kill when they see one and will make a b-line for you.

BTW, I'm mostly referring to warfront PvP, not open world PvP.
    This is theorycrafting from me, as I just installed game, but my intent is to use the myriad utility skills this build offers to maintain/create separation from target. Speed kills in every PvP game I've played...

Hasty Departure, Swift Shot, Hasted Shot, On the Double provide separation/kiting speed

When melee does get within range, Paralyzing Strike, Malicious Strike, Foul Play, Blinding Powder, Ebon Terror, Repelling Shot, Crossfire, Static Shot, all provide time to gain separation after melee contact

As stated, I've not played yet, so no clue if this theorycrafting will work in-game...but given background in DAoC/Wow hunter classes...the apparent abilities Rift hunter-types have access to makes me drool! With the eventual balancing of DPS, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with playing one.

The problem is, Marksman seem GREAT on paper... they were set up to be a great class, but they got nerfed into the ground at release. Every ability was nerfed, across the board, with no regard to balance.

Anyone claiming "Marksman is fine l2p" is not lvl 50 yet, or is talking only about PvE (where they are also sub-par compared to what other classes bring to the table)

Regardless, it is the only soul/calling i enjoy in this game, and i will continue to play one despite all this. Maybe eventually trion will look over them again, maybe not.
    The up-side is, you can have 4 roles and switch out if you need to. This is not a justification to just sweep MM under the rug, but it does make enduring a little easier.

ps. KITE KITE KITE PEW PEW PEW!!!! <3 MM and will play one till my sub ends, or the game goes belly-up

Quote Originally Posted by Zmob View Post
    Marksmen are just fine in pvp, I can top damage and KB's no problem with my build.

I don't nuke like other people, I'll get some good 1300 crits with deadeye every once and a while, but that's not the strength of this build. This build is for shaming warriors. You have so many escapes and tools to keep them away that if they still manage to kill you then you need to just play something else.

I'm throwing in my two cents for this build. I LOVE it.

I wanted to play a stealthy archer since day one, but when the nerfs came through for MM I would only respec to it for a few hours a time, get disheartened and go back to whatever I was playing before. This spec delivers, it's not OP by any means it just works. A tip, 5point Scourge of Darkness + Strafe = Win.

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...
    This mace was made for swingin'
    So that's just what I'll do
    Pop Rage of the North and **** all over you

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kayoh View Post
    A tip, 5point Scourge of Darkness + Strafe = Win.
    /10char this.

Shadowlander

With the 33NB/33MM/0 INF build u will lose alot of surv, and gain alot of usless talents. Imo the trade off isnt rly worth it, since a dead player is a bad player . To be completly honest that's the first mistake when making a decent pvp build, ppl just focus on the omg i win buttons and loose sight of the things that are actually important, like staying alive.
    Last edited by Influenza; 03-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.

This looks mighty interesting. How do you manage all these abilities though? I have trouble kiting and getting to all my abilities without getting my fingers knotted up. What's your kiting rotation like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmob View Post

Soulwalker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...MtRVzAhdo.xx0M

high single target DPS build its what i use and can crit with strafe up to 450dmg per shot. crit with deadeye shot up to 2k.

hope you enjoy its all burst damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast