+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serrated Blades or Improved Final Blow

Default Serrated Blades or Improved Final Blow

If you had to choose between 3 points in Serrated Blades or 3 points into Improved Final Blow which would you go with? I have a build that is tight on point allocation and its between these 2 abilities....I just need feedback on the damage output on Serrated Blades and crits on improved Final Blows with 5 combo points. I've only tried out improved final blow so far so if anybody has anything to offer for Serrated Blades I would appreciate it

PvE or PvP spec?

If it's a PvP build, you need to respec and put points in both.

If it's a PvE build, I'd prob go with Serrated.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Satiar View Post
    PvE or PvP spec?

If it's a PvP build, you need to respec and put points in both.

If it's a PvE build, I'd prob go with Serrated.
    Mainly PvP....like I said I'm tight on points. I'm debating on Improved Final Blow because I usually pop Impale for the DoTs anyway

Does Serrated Blades really offer a lot or is it just a small DoT that doesnt really offer much?

bumping this for the assassins in the group here

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Mainly PvP....like I said I'm tight on points. I'm debating on Improved Final Blow because I usually pop Impale for the DoTs anyway

Does Serrated Blades really offer a lot or is it just a small DoT that doesnt really offer much?
    In my experience, it's the combination of dots that makes Assassins tick. Serrated blades on its own does not constitute anything magical. But you combine its damage with Impale, and Jagged, and Puncture, and Poisons.......it starts to add up.

Personally, I specced for both Improved Final Blow and Serrated Blades. Without actually seeing your build, I'm at a loss as to why this is a problem. But assuming it is a problem, I would prob go for the bleeds. That's why you should spec into Sin, at any rate.

Rift Disciple

for Pvp, final blow for sure.

If you are going into nightblade, and using final blow from behind you get like... 15%(night blade)+15%(behind)+15(tier1 talent) dmg on final blow alone

Here is what i do for pvp (although, depends on the enemy)

jagged -> puncture -> impale -> foul play -> backstabx2 -> savage till 5 points -> final blow

I think you can get like 2 or 3 final blow off while impale is still ticking, atleast with the talent that increases the duration.

Looking at JUST the serrated blades and fnal blow spec, I'd still go with final blow because it is your biggest burst skill that you have. Burst > dots for pvp, especially dots that only apply when crit.
    The assassin already has many dots with jagged/impale/puncture.
    If serrated blades was as good as it was in beta (300% wep dmg stack 3 times) then it may be a different story.

(personally, I use both)
    Last edited by Katana622; 03-24-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana622 View Post

If you are going into nightblade, and using final blow from behind you get like... 15%(night blade)+15%(behind)+15(tier1 talent) dmg on final blow alone

jagged -> puncture -> impale -> foul play -> backstabx2 -> savage till 5 points -> final blow

I think you can get like 2 or 3 final blow off while impale is still ticking, atleast with the talent that increases the duration.

Looking at JUST the serrated blades and fnal blow spec, I'd still go with final blow because it is your biggest burst skill that you have. Burst > dots for pvp, especially dots that only apply when crit.
    Actually, if you're going Sin/NB, I'd go for blazing strike. Combined with a higher crit rating, all the damage pertaining to non-physical attacks, and heat retention, it's a better finisher methinks.

That way, you can do an Impale rotation, and by the time you come up to do your Burst Damage Finisher (final blow or blazing), you have heat retention all ready for you.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Katana622 View Post

If serrated blades was as good as it was in beta (300% wep dmg stack 3 times) then it may be a different story.
    Agree with this. Serrated is basically an extra autoattack (though is it one or both weapons?) over 6 seconds. It won't scale well since it's only based on weapon damage.

For PvE, maybe you want more sustained damage and less burst, which would favor Serrated, but I'd probably still go Imp Final Blow.

Here is a link to the build I'm messing with: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...V0M.Vzxcuodkzz

Right now the way I play it, I use everything in my power to stay out of range of melees. Open up, DoT up, snare, port away, charge up, port back in, execute or DoT back up, port out, detonate, Slip away and repeat and use stuns if you cant kite, and keep throwing down the AE snare if you can kite. Rift prison if you lose your advantage and blind if you can get it in at prime moments...this build also provides a lot of escape tools and the teleports really mess with people. The bonuses (crit, dmg and absorb shields) from porting and popping out of stealth can really boost dmg and survivability. So far I've had good experiences with it and its a nice combination of burst, DoTs and defensive abilities. Its def NOT a 1-2 button trick pony

Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    Agree with this. Serrated is basically an extra autoattack (though is it one or both weapons?) over 6 seconds. It won't scale well since it's only based on weapon damage.

For PvE, maybe you want more sustained damage and less burst, which would favor Serrated, but I'd probably still go Imp Final Blow.
    ok thanks..I think after talking this over with you guys I feel more confident with 3 points in Improved Final Blow to add more burst to my rotation if I feel I need it

Telaran

Serrated blades puts on the mob/player a dot based completely on chance and it does very low damage. I don't need to hear anything else to know that I don't want it, even if it came for free.

+ Reply to Thread