+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM PvP - The ranged swiss army knife.

Shadowlander

Default MM PvP - The ranged swiss army knife.

What is this build: A ranged utility build that emphasizes group PvP over solo play.

What you get with this build: Lots of survivability, a ranged 50% healing debuff, Ranged snare, an 80% damage reduction cooldown, a silence opener, two ranged roots, other abilities available depending on how you spend your last 7 points.

What you won't be doing with this build: One shotting people with detonate

The build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vbb.VhtMG0gR0o (7 points left open)

Played correctly, this build is capable of killing a healer from stealth, kiting nearly every calling due to superior range and mobility, putting out decent burst when called for (using cooldowns of course).

Standard Play vs. Healers: Once you've identified a healer stealth around the side of the battle, if you can get behind the healer so you force him to run into the rest of your team that's usually better but don't dabble too long as you want to make a difference in an engagement. Open with Smother, Barbed Shot (if he starts moving) and swift shot to 5 CP. Bullseye-Deadeye shot. The combination of a 5 second silence with a 50% healing debuff should set them far enough behind that you can finish them off. In the even that you feel you can't finish them off (unlucky with crits, someone tried to peel you, etc): Dark containment, attempt to restealth and open up with Smother again.

Standard Play vs. Warriors: If you see a warrior coming at you, pop strafe immediately if you have it. 95% of warriors in warfronts will open up with a stun as soon as they get in melee range (likely because 95% of warriors in warfronts use ez-mode macros), strafe makes you immune. If they catch you with a stun: Break Free and On the Double immediately as they're very capable of two-shotting you. Keep Twilight Force snare up while kiting. You won't be killing a warrior on your own (unless he chases you across the entire map), but the warrior likely won't be killing you either without outside assistance. If he continues to chase you, you've effectively taken him out of the fight, make sure you kite him away from his healers.

Standard Play vs. Sabs: If you see charges in your debuff box (or little snowballs being thrown at you with no damage done), wait until you get to 4-5 charges. Pop Twilight Shelter and try and keep the sab > 30 yards away from you. The alternative is that you burst him down before he puts up his second set of 5 charges. Rogues usually go down pretty quickly.

Being Assist Trained: Pop On the Double and Twilight Shelter and run like hell. If you get stunned use break free.

Other Notes:
    1. Remember to put up Hellfire/Fell Blades after(if?) you re-spawn. It's easy to want to get back into a battle or rush to an objective but Fell Blades is arguably the most important thing you bring to your team.
    2. You generally only want to use instant cast CP builders, the reason for this is that it allows you stay mobile but more importantly builds up Heat Retention to five so you get a 30% bigger finisher every time.
    3. Re-stealth as often as possible, but remember it only lasts for 30 seconds. Smother is your best friend vs. casters.

Questions and Criticism welcome.

Ground of skill

Good day

I believe the phrase never bring a knife to a gun fight comes to mind.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Rift Disciple

This build doesn't have Scourge of Darkness??? Are you serious??? Surely you jest......
    Take one of those spare points and put it in SoD THEN you have a potentially viable build IMO.
    Zeratul - 50 Rank 6 Rogue/Zeratulz 4x Mage - Seastone Defiant - Rift

DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion
    Zeratul/Zeratulz/Zeratuls

If by "Ground of Skill" you mean the pyromancer's immune to cc ground that stuns you 30% of the time, then do not forget that the marksman outranges the pyromancer by 5 meters.

Only a bad marksman would be affected by "Ground of skill"... If the mage moves to be in range, well then he's left the ground of skill. Sure he can put another one down, but the marksman can just move back a bit too if he's getting clipped.

Also, the mage should be a high priority target for a marksman.
    Last edited by Tieral; 03-24-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    If the cage with an elephant is labelled 'rabbit' do not believe your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by manoka View Post
    Ground of skill

Good day
    /10char
    King of the hasbeens, Sultan of the nonfactors. Peekaying since '99
    Fatality

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zeratulz View Post
    This build doesn't have Scourge of Darkness??? Are you serious??? Surely you jest......
    Take one of those spare points and put it in SoD THEN you have a potentially viable build IMO.
    I have it in my personal build along with Stafe and quick reload. I use it pretty much on cooldown unless I feel that I can burst a low HP target down with a high damage finisher. Would you happen to know if it's affect by heat retention and/or if it removes the 5 stack buff? I suppose I can test it when I get home.

SoD (funny how it's the same acronym and ability as Shades of Death) combined with Ebon Fury puts out some decent burst. At least as good as Strafe or Dusk to Dawn, and you can also string them together with finishers...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Unretrofied View Post
    I have it in my personal build along with Stafe and quick reload. I use it pretty much on cooldown unless I feel that I can burst a low HP target down with a high damage finisher. Would you happen to know if it's affect by heat retention and/or if it removes the 5 stack buff? I suppose I can test it when I get home.
    I tested it on the dummies and yes it removes all 5 stacks and gets +30% damage for all 10 "ticks." The issue now is that sometimes SoD can "miss" and remove the stacks but cause no damage, but that seems to be fixed next patch.

edit: Also there is so much whining and not enough actual testing of skills on these boards it is ridiculous. For example I've seen posts where people whined about SoD removing Heat Retention stacks because they believed SoD received no benefit from it, where they could have simply taken 10 secs to test this out and figure out it does indeed affect SoD damage.
    Last edited by Skyro; 03-24-2011 at 10:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread