+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viable meele raiding build?

Shadowlander

Default Viable meele raiding build?

Let me preface this by saying I have almost no in-game experience; I installed the game last night, and hit level 8 before logging out for the night. One of the things that drew me into this game, and that I'm having a lot of fun playing with, is the various options presented by the Soul system - I love trying to come up with different builds for different aspects of the game.

That being said, here is my plan for a level 50 PvE meele pure DPS build:

The purpose of the build was to maximize single-target DPS, and increase the efficiency of combo generators, finishers, and white damage, with some *very* minor CC. I threw 33 in Blademaster/21 assassin/ 12 nightstalker. Since I can't really avoid the comparison, I suspect this build will run much like a PvE Combat Rogue from WoW.

From what I understand, there are currently bugs with a couple of the talents, but I'm hoping they'll be smoothed over in the next few patches.

So, has anyone tried this build, or something similar?

Rift Disciple

I wouldn't make Blade Dancer your main soul, a lot of the DPS for a Blade Dancer comes from Dodging/Parrying attacks which you won't be doing in a Raid.
    I assume that you know this as you don't have any of the talents that relate to Dodging/Parrying, however the rest of the Blade Dancer soul isn't really worth it without these.

Personaly I would go with a Nightblade spec of some kind, Nightblade/Assassin/Blade Dancer maybe.

Shadowlander

It looks to me like Nightblade tends to rely more on the damage from weapon enhancements than from your weapons. Perhaps it is a better build early on before you reach higher gear levels?

Also, I know the tree looks like it's reliant on dodges and parries, but it also has a lot of energy regen/+energy etc talents which would allow you to put out more consistent DPS, no?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dreun View Post
    It looks to me like Nightblade tends to rely more on the damage from weapon enhancements than from your weapons. Perhaps it is a better build early on before you reach higher gear levels?

Also, I know the tree looks like it's reliant on dodges and parries, but it also has a lot of energy regen/+energy etc talents which would allow you to put out more consistent DPS, no?
    It does have nice regen/energy talents and they do allow you to put out more consitent DPS,unfortunately, without things like Strike Back, Reprisal, Contra Tempo, Turn the Tide etc it's quite low consistent DPS. A huge chunk of the Blade Dancer DPS comes from the dodge procced abilities/talents.

I levelled with a Blade Dancer spec and ran it in a lot of dungeons too and the DPS (in dungeons) just wasn't that great, which is a shame because I love being a Blade Dancer. I repecced a couple of days ago to a Nightblade spec and my DPS has increased substantially.

Anyway, that's my opinion, i'm not going to say you're wrong, every is free to spec however they want.
    Last edited by Noodz; 03-24-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Shadowlander

Alright, thanks for your help. That's a shame, because the Blade Dancer spec really drew me in. Hopefully they will balance the specs out, and fixing the (supposedly) broken Blade Finesse should make a big difference.

Champion

There's some interesting melee builds being discussed in theHighest Non-Saboteur DPS thread. Lot of them use Assassin/Nightblade hybrids, and some with Bladedancer. Perhaps you'll find something that catches your interest in there.

Shadowlander

Fantastic. It's nice to see people doing some proper theorycrafting (rather than the whining and complaining that seems to be permeating the Rift forums.)

+ Reply to Thread