+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Salvaging assassin

  1. #1
    dmv
    dmv is offline
    Champion of Telara dmv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,201

    Default Salvaging assassin

    So, as far as I can tell, sin will probably be the next fotm for builds in testing, but let's face it, the soul needs a bit of love. I would love to see 2 things.
    Attack power properly applied, and the duration of bleeds shortened, but the damage increased, aswell as a bit of a buff to assassinate since its damage doesn't really match its tooltip.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I'd like for assassins to fit the rift lore a bit more.

    "A rare few survive the initial assault..." so can we get some heavy frontloaded burst? You couldn't assassinate a naked 100yo geezer with assassinate. How about a frontal only attack that does 250% damage and can't be used on someone who's incapacitated, no combo points awarded? Lore-wise, the initial assault should be a huge burst followed by tap tap tap, not starting with tap tap tap and tapping away with more taps.

    "...only to succumb to virulent poisons." I don't think you can consider 70 damage every 3rd swing or so virulent. Wait... no one uses virulent poison anyways so 50 damage every 3rd swing? How about a long-lasting poison that deals a lot of damage? Say... 700 damage over 30s nonstacking, but refreshable? Something worth using a cleanse ability on when an assassin gets on a caster, and something that could actually kill after the target kills the rogue? You did make us a "bleed" soul after all.

    I love the idea of the assassin soul, but the implementation made it so... meh~

  3. #3
    Ascendant Taemek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    I 100% agree, with the future changes especially to certain Warrior souls, Assassins in thier current state is weak as piss and needs some love, badly.

  4. #4
    General of Telara Pippington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    910

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by TridaggerX View Post
    I'd like for assassins to fit the rift lore a bit more.

    "A rare few survive the initial assault..." so can we get some heavy frontloaded burst? You couldn't assassinate a naked 100yo geezer with assassinate. How about a frontal only attack that does 250% damage and can't be used on someone who's incapacitated, no combo points awarded? Lore-wise, the initial assault should be a huge burst followed by tap tap tap, not starting with tap tap tap and tapping away with more taps.

    "...only to succumb to virulent poisons." I don't think you can consider 70 damage every 3rd swing or so virulent. Wait... no one uses virulent poison anyways so 50 damage every 3rd swing? How about a long-lasting poison that deals a lot of damage? Say... 700 damage over 30s nonstacking, but refreshable? Something worth using a cleanse ability on when an assassin gets on a caster, and something that could actually kill after the target kills the rogue? You did make us a "bleed" soul after all.

    I love the idea of the assassin soul, but the implementation made it so... meh~
    The problem is a lot of people wouldn't be happy unless an Assassin has 100% chance of killing anyone equal level.

    This happens in all MMO games with them or something similar in.




    (or course clearly balance-wise and gameplay-wise this cannot be the case, although in many games assassin-esq classes do get amazingly close to 100%)

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pippington View Post
    (or course clearly balance-wise and gameplay-wise this cannot be the case, although in many games assassin-esq classes do get amazingly close to 100%)
    Every ~30 seconds, my old Guild Wars assassin build could teleport and take someone out within 4-6 seconds, with no ability no counter(you were on the ground the entire time), and return. Even if they survived by a small amount(warriors), they were left with massive degeneration and crippled, with no enemy in sight. Not unless they happened to carry an anti-knockdown ability on their bar.

    The tradeoff, was absolutely horrid toe-to-toe damage, survivability, and a set cooldown on my entire chain.
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-24-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Ellandess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Can someone check that this link works: http://forums.riftgame.com/forumdisp...gue-Discussion

    I get the impression that it might not work for everyone. Trion employees for one, don't seem to see these posts at all. Also, can I point out to Trion that 'rogue' is not spelled 'rouge', in case you've been trying to find all this and can't.

    How is it even possible to totally skip assassin in the 1.1 patch?

    There are a multitude of bugs, problems, issues and complaints about this soul, most of which are wholly justified.

    I know you've taken the 'Immune' text from over stealthed heads, but are you planning on putting 'Still Pointless' in it's place?

    Rift n. r-ift (pl. rifts) A 'rift' is what opens up between you and your wife when the game is live.

    PC Black :: CPU Yes :: GPU Two thingies :: SOUND Pretty good :: OVERCLOCK A nice mirror :: WINDOWS 14, all double glazed

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pippington View Post
    The problem is a lot of people wouldn't be happy unless an Assassin has 100% chance of killing anyone equal level.

    This happens in all MMO games with them or something similar in.




    (or course clearly balance-wise and gameplay-wise this cannot be the case, although in many games assassin-esq classes do get amazingly close to 100%)

    I just want the rock-paper-scissor balance I kept hearing. Have a real tough time with a warrior, greatly hinder a healer to the point where peels are necessary for them to heal efficiently, and be able to kill a mage quickly if the they don't get quick support. Currently the only thing that really fits well with me is the fact that rogue vs rogue, the one who gets the jump on the other has the upper hand in the fight.

    Playing sin as it is, I won't even touch a warrior for fear of titan's strike or worse... killing myself on avatar of the rift again (4 times so far! Blasted daggers). I've had healing clerics dps me, and only the cleric dpsing me, down while healing themselves as well as their teammates with ease. I've had mages kite me easily without me being able to damage them back in any way after my openers barely grazed them. It was agonizing, frustrating, and made me feel there was no point to the sin soul outside of ganking. With such little luck with sin and switching to nb and being able to do what I felt I should have been able to do as sin, there's nothing wrong with me wanting sin to be buffed to where I can be happy playing it once again, ya? :P

  8. #8
    Prophet of Telara Pipra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TridaggerX View Post
    "...only to succumb to virulent poisons." I don't think you can consider 70 damage every 3rd swing or so virulent. Wait... no one uses virulent poison anyways so 50 damage every 3rd swing? How about a long-lasting poison that deals a lot of damage? Say... 700 damage over 30s nonstacking, but refreshable? Something worth using a cleanse ability on when an assassin gets on a caster, and something that could actually kill after the target kills the rogue? You did make us a "bleed" soul after all.
    I like that, a lot. Poisons need to be more effective.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ellandess View Post
    How is it even possible to totally skip assassin in the 1.1 patch?
    Those are Alpha patch notes and they are incomplete. All through Beta, Trion would stagger the class updates in their Alpha notes. By the time the 1.1 patch makes it live, I'm fairly certain we'll see both Assassin and Nightblade included.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts