+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death of the Rogue Class

Telaran

Angry Death of the Rogue Class

This is a response to the upcoming 1.1 patch notes and my disappointment that some of the rogue specs got no love. Also why as the game progresses rogues become weaker and weaker, and are out DPSed by every other class in the game.

First I'd like to say I am NOT a sab player. I actually was happy to see the nerf to them as I felt the whole class was cheese. With that said... I was hoping a boost to our other classes... like the never-ever-seen bladedancers.

PvE gear ruins rogues in PvP.
    It's unfortunate... but very true. The game feeds us tons of +hit gear in hopes to get around +200 hit (+40%) to do greenscale raids. This gear also effects pvp, and rogues barely dodge anything in the pvp scene. Rogue's main damage mitigation is dodge, works great PvE... but PvP I dont dodge a damn thing. Even with my bladedancer spec. 16% dodge + 50% dodge from our cooldown... I'm LUCKY to dodge 8-12% against a warrior with the CD popped.

For this reason alone, Bladedancer is an unused underpowered class. Crappy DPS, Not tanky enough to tank in instances, and their whole class is useless in PvP because of the ample +hit gear available to all.

-Sabs: got the nerf stick like they deserved for PvP. Also took an aprox 30% DPS reduction for PvE.

-Bard: still need them for raids, but nerfed for who knows what reason... Still a good class.

-Riftstalker: In some situations a better tank than warriors. Who knew rogues would tank better, and warriors would dps better? =P

-Nightblade: fun class, good mechanics... DPS is slow to start, but gets fairy high for the rogue class. Out DPS'ed by Warriors, Clerics, and Mages for single target though.

-Assassin: fun class, good mechanics. Big burst coming out of stealth, then slowly drops to crap. You would think a class that is required to be behind a mob to do it's bulk damage would be one of the highest in the game? But it's not.

-Ranger/MM: I'm grouping them together because ranged DPS is not my favorite to play. They are decent, but if you want a good ranged DPS get a mage.

-Bladedancer: Not very good DPS, lot of focus on dodge and abilities proccing off of that to gain their damage. Seems Trion thought this would be the PvP spec for melee vs melee. Unfortunately the +hit from the game makes this class useless in PvP. For raids, since the BD shouldnt be dodging anything... their damage is low and useless.

All in all... Rogues have the worst DPS in the game vs other classes specced for pure DPS. On test dummies, every other class in the game can out DPS them. I don't think Rogue mechanics need a change, but an overall slight boost of damage would be nice. And if I could dodge in PvP... that would also be great.

How can you kill something that was already dead? heh.

I combed through that whole list of patch notes praying they would do something for rDPS for rogues like marks/ranger etc. Nothing, nada, zip. =(

Soulwalker

I'm still confused on why you call it "death". You do realize one patch doesn't
    mean rogues will be gone forever because a of a little change that will
    Most likely be countered with a buff of something else.

To much exaggeration of a patch in which the class is STILL useable just may not
    Be qualified for certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    I'm still confused on why you call it "death". You do realize one patch doesn't
    mean rogues will be gone forever because a of a little change that will
    Most likely be countered with a buff of something else.

To much exaggeration of a patch in which the class is STILL useable just may not
    Be qualified for certain things.
    People like to be over dramatic.

Especially over things that are still being tested for balancing issues/bugs etc =/
    I'm apparently a Troll. I'm apparently also a Lurker
    And here I was thinking I'm just a gamer who occasionally responds to forums...
    My bad, I'll shut up and agree with everyone from now on.

Telaran

the other rogue classes need some serious love.

Shield of Telara

I'm doing just fine as a Bard/Ranger/Sab or offspec Bard/Ranger/Nightblade. I really have no issues at range or in person, as it were, when fighting.
    That's exactly what a hacker would say...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brodka View Post
    I was hoping a boost to our other classes... like the never-ever-seen bladedancers.
    I would love this. I started my rogue as a bladedancer. I love the soul, and the abilities. The problem? I did nothing. In an instance, I was doing horrible DPS, again, due to the fact that I am not parrying and dodging like I would be if I were being attacked by the mob. And solo, I thought it would be a lot better, but honestly, it still wasn't working out well.

I switched to assassin, and that's a bit better in both solo and instance play, but still, I miss my bladedancer.

I may respec, just to try it out, as I've leveled up about 15 or 20 levels since I last tried it, see how it looks at a higher level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyous
    Conversing with you is not like conversing to an adult - It is like talking to a potted plant, and hoping it will grow.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by joen00b View Post
    I'm doing just fine as a Bard/Ranger/Sab or offspec Bard/Ranger/Nightblade. I really have no issues at range or in person, as it were, when fighting.
    unfortunately both of those specs just cant compete in DPS vs the other classes in the game. May be fun... but DPS is lacking.

Telaran

/signed

Originally I rolled rogue because they seemed to have the most flexibility, you could be a healer, a tank, a ranged dps or a melee dps, how wrong was I!

Healer (bard) - nerfed to uselessness in next patch

Tank (riftstalker) - nerfed to uselessness in last patch

ranged DPS (sab) - nerfed to uselessness in next patch

ranged DPS - (marksman) - nerfed to uselessness in beta patch

ranged dps - (ranger) - always been useless and still is, pets damage is negligible, you just ignore them

melee dps - ummmm, if you wanted melee dps you should have rolled a warrior because bladedancer, nightblade and assassin all suck.

Thanks for the nerfs trion, enjoy your unsubs! seeing how most players are rogues (probably due to their flexibility), nerfing them to death probably not the brightest move.
    Last edited by Elbee; 03-24-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
    /signed

Originally I rolled rogue because they seemed to have the most flexibility, you could be a healer, a tank, a ranged dps or a melee dps, how wrong was I!

ranged dps - (ranger) - always been useless and still is, pets damage is negligible, you just ignore them

melee dps - ummmm, if you wanted melee dps you should have rolled a warrior because bladedancer, nightblade and assassin all suck.

Thanks for the nerfs trion, enjoy your unsubs! seeing how most players are rogues (probably due to their flexibility), nerfing them to death probably not the brightest move.
    Aye... I agree. Except riftstalkers are still pretty good and bards big use is just to be buff bots. but I agree 100% melee dps is so SAD vs warrior DPS. and from what I've read warriors Paragon is getting a big buff, and most champions are paragon hybrids. My buddy is a min/max warrior... and is super excited for this coming patch. he says "If you thought my DPS is big now, just wait till the patch"

Bladedancers - they dodged the whole patch.
    Assassin - nobody notices them...
    Ranger - who?
    MM - I though you learned your lesson in beta, get back to your corner.
    Ralinblack - Faemist - Onineko - Assassin - LvL 50 - Rank 2
    Ralinsteel - Faemist - Onineko - Warrior - LvL 10 - Fear me!

Plane Walker

I'm surprised that the OP didn't mention the fact that bosses doing instant AOEs means melee toons aren't viable in instances and raids. Seems being completely unviable is worse than doing lower dps.

Fix the bosses so you can at least avoid their AOE if you're paying attention first. It doesn't matter how much dps you do, if you're dying at every boss you're not viable.

Personally I wouldn't mind switching over to melee. I actually didn't envision playing a sab when I picked the rogue class. But let melee rogues (and wars) be viable in PVE.
    Last edited by Beetlebomb; 03-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.

I have an assassin build that I use to sneak across enemy zones to reach the dungeons. That being said, I would still have no issue if Trion removed the entire stealth class ganking crap system from the game.
    Whether the glass is half full or half empty, there is still only half there.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
    /signed

other then NB being bad considering they are one of the best 1v1 pvp souls imo(its all a question of spec, subspec, and macro usage), i completely agree. wtb class parity in this game, honestly the sab nerf i could deal with if they atleast buffed marks or ranger to compensate, and the bard nerf is outragious plain and simple. dont destroy basic class mechanics, nerf the damage or heal values instead.

+ Reply to Thread