+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue DPS through Gear: Physical Crit vs. AP. Need numbers

Default Rogue DPS through Gear: Physical Crit vs. AP. Need numbers

Sup rogue forums.
    I'm gonna start with some commonly known damage information.
    1 point Strength -> 0.5 point Attack Power
    1 point Dexterity -> 0.5 point Attack Power and 1.0 point Physical Crit
    1 point Physical Crit -> +0.41% chance of Critical Hit
    1 point Attack Power -> +0.1 Physical DPS

So what does this mean for us? Obviously, Dex is strictly better than Strength in terms of damage output. But Physical Crit vs. Attack Power? This one is not so obvious. What I want to find out is: How many points of AP are equal to 1 point of Physical Crit, in terms of the increase to damage output? Is it build dependent? Level dependent? Is higher AP worth more at lower levels than at higher levels, given that it seems to be a straight +to DPS rather than a modifier?

I'm going to be running some tests later (with my 50, T1.5 geared Sab), but it would be good to have others running some parses as well. I think that this is something everyone in the rogue community (who cares about DPS and optimization) wants to know--is that item that gives you 5 more physical crit at the loss of 7 attack power an upgrade? At present, I can't say, and I haven't found a definitive source to figure it out. Let's find that conversion rate.
    Last edited by Reamerer; 03-23-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reamerer View Post
    1 point Strength -> 0.5 point Attack Power
    1 point Dexterity -> 0.5 point Attack Power
    Have you confirmed this in-game? When testing with the bard buff, I get unexpected values, leading us to believe that the ratio is not exactly 1:1, but that was back in the last beta. Haven't tested on live yet.

Also, isn't 1 point of Physical Crit equal to 0.054% crit chance? Otherwise, 243 crit rating would be equal to 100% crit chance.
    Last edited by nand chan; 03-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Have you confirmed this in-game? When testing with the bard buff, I get unexpected values, leading us to believe that the ratio is not exactly 1:1, but that was back in the last beta. Haven't tested on live yet.
    To the best of my knowledge, that should be correct. At least according to tooltips, from memory; about to log in to do some experimenting and check for sure. Too bad I won't be able to edit the original post with the proper information thanks to these forums...

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Also, isn't 1 point of Physical Crit equal to 0.054% crit chance? Otherwise, 243 crit rating would be equal to 100% crit chance.
    Quite possibly. I need to check on this too; that was just a number I pulled from a (presumably reliable) Rift DB.

Just confirmed in-game, the first part is correct (at least by tooltips).

As for crit%, I'm sitting on 739 crit self-buffed, which gives me 28.02% chance to crit, meaning .0379% to crit per point. I actually got half naked, slowly re-equipped gear, and the ration of Physical Crit:Increased crit% stayed the same at 0.0379% per point in PC.
    Last edited by Reamerer; 03-23-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Has anyone had a chance to check this out yet?

+ Reply to Thread