+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Practices: PvP versus Warriors

Default Best Practices: PvP versus Warriors

I, not unlike many rogues, am having serious issues with warriors in PvP. I have read and understand that Trion will be "adjusting" the warrior class (as well as the Sabo) in the future, but want to get a discussion going about what rogues are having success with in PvP versus the warrior classes.

Any builds, tips, or tricks that you have found helpful may serve the greater good if you divulge your knowledge here.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain
    That this post found it to page three is reprehensible. It's the best one I've seen since I started playing Rift. "find some balance in your life..." Some people could learn from that. Not only is it an awesomely hilarious post, but informative too. +10 internets.

Soulwalker

Don't fight them.

And if you do, do it after they've focused on someone else, preferably another warrior and do it from as far away as you can.

Fighting warriors is, more often than not, an exercise in futility as a rogue. You will win some, even sometimes handily, but in the long run, it won't even be a close fight until they fix the big warrior issues.
    Brigitte - High Elf Markswoman and exotic dancer.

Soulwalker

Saboteur 31 pointer, Landmines. Works everytime!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sycophanta View Post
    Don't fight them.

And if you do, do it after they've focused on someone else, preferably another warrior and do it from as far away as you can.

Fighting warriors is, more often than not, an exercise in futility as a rogue. You will win some, even sometimes handily, but in the long run, it won't even be a close fight until they fix the big warrior issues.
    Yeah, unfortunately truth. Especiially if I see him with a 2 hander and bullrushes me. I hit Shadow Warp and Sprint outta there. I don't want to give them the satisfaction of the easy kill.

I almost beat a pally but then I gave up when he used his big heal. I gave it all I had.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzkaka View Post
    Saboteur 31 pointer, Landmines. Works everytime!
    I have Landmines in my PvE spec, and they work well when Im out in the world soloing mobs and some random player tries to jump me. I just usually don't have the time to drop them once a warrior picks me up in a warfront. Perhaps I need to be more situational and specially aware.

I'll give it a try.
    Last edited by Luuca; 03-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    That this post found it to page three is reprehensible. It's the best one I've seen since I started playing Rift. "find some balance in your life..." Some people could learn from that. Not only is it an awesomely hilarious post, but informative too. +10 internets.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
    I, not unlike many rogues, am having serious issues with warriors in PvP. I have read and understand that Trion will be "adjusting" the warrior class (as well as the Sabo) in the future, but want to get a discussion going about what rogues are having success with in PvP versus the warrior classes.

Any builds, tips, or tricks that you have found helpful may serve the greater good if you divulge your knowledge here.

Thanks in advance.
    40 nb, 26 rs, 0 bd this spec using cooldowns can completely shutdown champ burst, and then procede to completely dom him and hell have no answer. side steps, twilight tranc, twilight shelter, planar refuge all disarm champ burst pretty well and he wont have any mitigation to speak of against your non phys attacks. macro up twilight force and dusk strike, spec properly, use your cooldowns properly including ebon fury, use scourge of darkness whenever its up, if you feel the need plane shift out of melee and kite him, if he charges and you time it properly dusk till dawn will cancel his charge before it hits you rooting him in place for the win. basicly the strat is to overpower him with mitigation that he cant answer. works like a charm them champs are so used to 2shotting rogues they wont know what hit em.

Soulwalker

I have Landmines in my PvE spec, and they work well when Im out in the world soloing mobs and some random player tries to jump me. I just usually don't have the time to drop them once a warrior picks me up in a warfront. Perhaps I need to be more situational and specially aware.

I'll give it a try.
    Make sure u use adhesive bomb to, by the time you blown all youre mines new ones can be deployed ;p

Quote Originally Posted by labotimy View Post
    40 nb, 26 rs, 0 bd this spec using cooldowns can completely shutdown champ burst, and then procede to completely dom him and hell have no answer. side steps, twilight tranc, twilight shelter, planar refuge all disarm champ burst pretty well and he wont have any mitigation to speak of against your non phys attacks. macro up twilight force and dusk strike, spec properly, use your cooldowns properly including ebon fury, use scourge of darkness whenever its up, if you feel the need plane shift out of melee and kite him, if he charges and you time it properly dusk till dawn will cancel his charge before it hits you rooting him in place for the win. basicly the strat is to overpower him with mitigation that he cant answer. works like a charm them champs are so used to 2shotting rogues they wont know what hit em.
    can you post your exact spec using the builder? This sounds like a viable strat to Champs.

With the possible exception of a sab build - never fight warriors.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

Plane Walker

can you post your exact spec using the builder? This sounds like a viable strat to Champs.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...g0ss.VcbIhkbok

something along this lines, 3rd soul is your preference, if im facing mage/cleric heavy oposition i use infiltrator, if its rogue warrior heavy i use BD for sidesteps.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
    With the possible exception of a sab build - never fight warriors.
    u do relise a smart MM will auto win against warriors via kiting and max ranging.

Hmm, saying your a Rogue means nothing, all it does is tell us what gear and souls you have access to. Same applies with talking about Warriors, Champ tactics =/= RB tactics.

Best advice I would give, is learn how they work, learn their abilities, their buffs (so you can identify the souls they are using) and more importantly, their weaknesses.

If you know what you are up against, you won't have as many problems. I killed a Champion/Paragon and his Cleric earlier as Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer. But then, my Warrior has a Champion spec, and I know it inside out, so killing one is simply a case of having the tools to counter his. Shadow Stalk is amazing for that, as most Champions will try and kill you inside the TS stun, if you can break it quickly and keep MS up, then all you need to do is keep him within range so he can't Bull Rush you. Making good use of Cloak and Dagger, Rift Barrier, Side Steps and Planar Refuge help with the toe-to-toe damage. Warrior's don't have anything like that, unless they are deep specced tanks. The only exception is Predictable Movements, which hurts like hell, learn what it looks like so you won't fall victim to it. Let someone else burn the charges off instead, and if 1v1, then re-stealth and wait til it falls off, or use weak attacks so it doesn't hurt as much.

I see lots of Rogues make the mistake of letting their snares fall off, you need to remember that souls have abilities to remove snares, and others (Sab for example) have talents that reduce duration by 50%, so you really need to pay attention to when you need to re-apply it. It literally can be the difference between winning and losing.

And for MM Rogues, I've fought so many of these, and only ever seen a couple actually use Barbed Shot it's unbelievable. Probably the same bad players who cry that MM damage is too low in PvP. It does a really nice amount of damage, can be kept up on a target 100%, there is absolutely no reason not to use it.

And lastly, don't make the mistake of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. I prefer playing my Rogue in WFs than my Warrior, because I don't get focused as much. Pretty much every bad player targets the Warriors first, so unless you have a pocket healer, you will get CCd and killed a stupid amount of times. Rogues on the other hand, have a lot more freedom to play their own game. Roll one and see for yourself, you will notice the difference in how the other team reacts to you.
    Zantetsuken - 50 Warrior - Firesand EU RP-PvP
    Charisma - 50 Rogue - Firesand EU RP-PvP
    Eldrenna - 13 Cleric - Firesand EU RP-PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Best advice I would give, is learn how they work, learn their abilities, their buffs (so you can identify the souls they are using) and more importantly, their weaknesses.
    Guilty as charged. This I need to do a better job of. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks in advance.
    In a purely 1v1 situation, an Assassin/Nightblade/Bladedancer is the best possible thing to have.

Jagged Strike > Puncture > Foul Play (stun) > Impale > Slip Away. Impale will tick for 24 seconds, along with your other bleeds. Once you're satisfied with the amount of damage done via the bleeds:

Foul Play (stun) > Sidesteps (Rhythmic ability from 0 points BD for 50% dodge) > Puncture > Impale > Twilight Shelter.

At this point, unless you're facing a tank spec of over 11k hit points, the Warrior is already dead and doesn't know it. The amount of bleeds on him will kill him unless he can quickly finish you, get out of combat, and start drinking some health.

This is usually when the Warrior goes into their Stunlock > 3-hit combo. The 50% dodge and -80% damage taken will allow you to live through this with a good 80-90% of your health left (300 Titan Strike crits, lawl).

In order to finish him once the stunlock is over:

Ebon Fury (puts Dusk Strike and Twilight Force to 0 cooldown) > spam Dusk Strike (2 combo points each) > Scourge of Darkness or a straight damage finisher, whichever you prefer.

It's practically an autowin. Just the bleeds are enough to kill the Warrior, but you still have the tools to get in his face and finish him off with burst if you need to. The only kind of Warrior that can survive this is the kind with the Pali full-heal, or 10K+ hp. That's a whole nother kettle of fish.

This will NOT work in any sort of group combat. Between heals, aoes, slows, splash heals, etc, your bleeds and hide abilities will be mostly negated, and therefore 90% of your damage and survival abilities. But in a pure 1v1, you can't really lose.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Satair - Thank you for the walk through. Would you mind sharing your build for this set up using a sole builder? I'm interested in this spec for purely 1v1.

Questions:
    1. Is this also viable for PvE questing? Or at 50 (I'm working on it but am still 40- run a marketing department and can't play as much as I like) do you not really care about questing- mobs-dungeons.
    2. What is your preferred group PvP build for WFs etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast