+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dont mind playing rogue

Default Dont mind playing rogue

Just wanted to say that even with all the huge imbalances with the rogue class i rather enjoy being the underdog and leveling and pvping my main NB spec. Even with the current patch rogues are still relatively weak in general PVP esp WFs. However when i do kill someone it makes victory that much sweeter knowing I just killed a far more superior and OP class. The rogues buffs will come soon enough...be patient my friends

I'm actually right there with you. I'm more of a PvE player, but I do enjoy quite a bit of PvP (at 28 only Black Garden and Codex) - and, as a MM/Ranger/Sin - I should be incredibly frustrated in PvP.

Actually it's quite the opposite. I LOVE PvP as a MM. I love the challenge of picking my targets and finding my spots. I totally accept and know I'm gonna get crushed if I stand in out in the open amongst a field of Warriors and Sabs and have learned not to do so from very painful and very disheartening lessons.

I think that the Rogue calling in Rift isn't what people expected from other games. I feel that this calling demands a very high level of both mental and playing flexibility. I feel far more connected to combat in this calling than either Warrior or Cleric.

I have been at the top and bottom of the damage meters, and everywhere in between. But it is encouraging to know that when I am at the top of the WF meters, I am doing so in a class that isn't (according to the majority of the forums) supposed to be there.

Just thought I would post something encouraging since there seems to be a lack of that among the rogue forum discussions since day 1

I guess the issue is "expectation" and how this translates to what Rogue means to THIS game as opposed to what Rogue either is or has been in other games.

I truly do not want to bring WoW into this equation, but the WoW PVP Rogue CLASS is the benchmark for many PVP (and some PVE) players when it comes to comparing the expected DPS levels of the classification: Rogue. The soul system obviously does not work this same way in RIFT as the talent tree does in WoW, but the expectation and demand to min/max the highest dps threshhold is there nonetheless because of the classification Rogue. So if the DPS or combat performances aren't being met in the same comparable fashion (i.e. dps meters or parsers) then Rogues are therefore underpowered and broken; even if they were never designed in this game to be that type of class or have that similar burst mechanic.

To add further fuel to this fire, our RIFT Rogue calling also crosses over with the second (or first to some) highest DPS specialty class in WoW: HUNTERS; as seen specifically in the combining of the MM/Ranger souls = Hunter; a ranged + pet based playing style that has been both hailed (OP DPS) and demonized (Huntard) based on the skill and interaction of the player. The WoW Hunters at one time (pre Cataclysm) had DPS rotations that were top in both raid and PvP and were almost untouchable if specced right with the right gear (obviously).

So, in my opinion - this leaves our RIFT Rogue DPS soul selections wading in a very deep pool of concern because even though we probably weren't designed to be the maximum DPS output in raid or PvP - the expectation is and probably will always be there and as long as WoW is out there - that expectation will probably never change.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Sinoval View Post
    I guess the issue is "expectation" and how this translates to what Rogue means to THIS game as opposed to what Rogue either is or has been in other games.

I truly do not want to bring WoW into this equation, but the WoW PVP Rogue CLASS is the benchmark for many PVP (and some PVE) players when it comes to comparing the expected DPS levels of the classification: Rogue. The soul system obviously does not work this same way in RIFT as the talent tree does in WoW, but the expectation and demand to min/max the highest dps threshhold is there nonetheless because of the classification Rogue. So if the DPS or combat performances aren't being met in the same comparable fashion (i.e. dps meters or parsers) then Rogues are therefore underpowered and broken; even if they were never designed in this game to be that type of class or have that similar burst mechanic.

To add further fuel to this fire, our RIFT Rogue calling also crosses over with the second (or first to some) highest DPS specialty class in WoW: HUNTERS; as seen specifically in the combining of the MM/Ranger souls = Hunter; a ranged + pet based playing style that has been both hailed (OP DPS) and demonized (Huntard) based on the skill and interaction of the player. The WoW Hunters at one time (pre Cataclysm) had DPS rotations that were top in both raid and PvP and were almost untouchable if specced right with the right gear (obviously).

So, in my opinion - this leaves our RIFT Rogue DPS soul selections wading in a very deep pool of concern because even though we probably weren't designed to be the maximum DPS output in raid or PvP - the expectation is and probably will always be there and as long as WoW is out there - that expectation will probably never change.
    i disagree.

as it stands now . rogue is subpar on dps. (k warriors are getting fixed to equal that out)
    rogue is subpar on support (archons are just better)
    rogue is subpar on tanking (sorry warrior and clerics are just the better tanks)

hence rogue is subpar ... nothing left to do but being subpar in all aspects.

Remember, I'm talking about "expectations" - not current performance issues in game.

But, perhaps you are right - I can't speak for support or tanking. I seem to fair well in PvP DPS - but I digress...

I'm just saying because of certain gaming influences - Rogues have a certain pre-conceived bar set for the class - even if that isn't the bar that RIFT intended for the Rogue class mechanics. What is that bar - I really don't know. I know it isn't what WoW or perhaps other games have created for their Rogue class.

IMO, the Callings' labels if you will are more in the spirit of the class rather than the mechanic of the class. Personally, I have an issue with Paladin being in the Warrior Class from how I have played as Paladin for the last 5 years in WoW (which is more akin to Cleric).

Again, I think the callings are really quite general and Rogues are suffering immensely from comparison of what there role is in other games - and how devastating their DPS is in those games.

+ Reply to Thread