+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legitimate Bard Discussion

Telaran

Default Legitimate Bard Discussion

Round 2:

1. Spell queue not finishing motifs when your target dies/vanishes. Stressful in the middle of combat when you have to refresh these things every 30 seconds. You have a spell queue, you know you hit the right button in the right sequence that you have been for hours and hours, but it misses one since an enemy you had targetted just died or vanished/blinked out of range, whatever.

2. If you can be a Sab, and hurl frickin' bombs 30 meters, then why the hell can't someone hear me wailing away on instruments from the same distance? Bards need a range increase talent. If anyone even thinks about arguing with me, I will pre-empt whatever your comment may be by rebutting, "You are ******ed, your parents are ******ed, and your children will be ******ed. No one should listen to anything you have to say."

3. Coda of Restoration not scaling with "stats." I realize that bards aren't "Primary Healers," or whatever, but their effectiveness will only decline as the game progresses unless this Coda has some way to scale. Encounters in PvE will get more difficult, people will have more HP with better gear, and do more damage in pvp as their gear gets better. Having this scale is the only way for Bards to stay relevant.
    Zipi @ Greybriar
    <Mutiny>

Quote Originally Posted by Jylea View Post
    Round 2:

2. If you can be a Sab, and hurl frickin' bombs 30 meters, then why the hell can't someone hear me wailing away on instruments from the same distance? Bards need a range increase talent. If anyone even thinks about arguing with me, I will pre-empt whatever your comment may be by rebutting, "You are ******ed, your parents are ******ed, and your children will be ******ed. No one should listen to anything you have to say."
    Bards have a range increase talent called "Talented Composer".
    486 DX2
    4MB RAM
    3.5 and 5 1/4 Floppy
    Voodoo Video Card
    14in monitor VGA 256k
    28.8 Modem

General of Telara

Im just waiting to be able to macro all my motifs to 1 hotkey. If people with nice expensive keyboards can do it then why cant everyone?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vokan View Post
    Does not affect Cadence, Power Chord, Codas, etc.
    Zipi @ Greybriar
    <Mutiny>

Soulwalker

This increases the range of motifts, fanfares and anthems. Not cadence which is has a 20 meter range and probably what the OP is complaining about.

Clearly only plays Board Warrior, not Bard.

Champion

The problems you're describing are pretty trivial compared to the fact that bards really have no place in a 5 man group. I love the spec, but in 5mans and even raids, most people bring buffs that overwrite your motifs and chloros are INSANELY better at support healing (and do about 150+ more dps) while being able to bring pretty much every important buff you do.

Until they find a niche for the soul, cadence is the least of your worries.

PS. I love the spec, don't get me wrong, I sit there wishing to be able to play it, but it just doesn't bring enough to the table -- outside of maybe 3 or 4 gimmicky fights.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    PS. I love the spec, don't get me wrong, I sit there wishing to be able to play it, but it just doesn't bring enough to the table -- outside of maybe 3 or 4 gimmicky fights.
    Its the only class where you can set up autohotkey to loop 1,2,3,4,5 type /follow on a ranged and go eat a sandwich and still help your group out :P

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    The problems you're describing are pretty trivial compared to the fact that bards really have no place in a 5 man group. I love the spec, but in 5mans and even raids, most people bring buffs that overwrite your motifs and chloros are INSANELY better at support healing (and do about 150+ more dps) while being able to bring pretty much every important buff you do.

Until they find a niche for the soul, cadence is the least of your worries.

Some fights require 3 healers, in which you would optimally use chloromancer, cleric, bard (for the elemental resist aura), one DPS and a tank.

The magic of this game is that any DPS rogue can simply re-spec when needed, then spec back again afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    Its the only class where you can set up autohotkey to loop 1,2,3,4,5 type /follow on a ranged and go eat a sandwich and still help your group out :P
    And get kicked within the minute for contributing zero DPS/HPS.
    Last edited by nand chan; 03-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Shadowlander

Default I throw rock at you~ *21 yards away* Drat you...

It is weird that our range attacks are not the standard 30.
    Last edited by Ceric; 03-22-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: our !are

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Some fights require 3 healers, in which you would optimally use chloromancer, cleric, bard (for the elemental resist aura), one DPS and a tank.

The magic of this game is that any DPS rogue can simply re-spec when needed, then spec back again afterwards.

And get kicked within the minute for contributing zero DPS/HPS.
    Very very few. Almost not even enough to justify carrying the spec once your group gets any sort of gear. The fact of the matter is they don't have a niche that can be consistently desired. That's a problem.

Plane Touched

I'm 48 atm, but I don't see why anyone would not want a bard. They make Amy run the smoothed possible. They increase the parties dps, heal(by tons if they need to) and do very good aoe dps. Plus they increase they damage of physical and non physical abilities by 5%/7%. Unless the people complaining are low level, it makes no sense. Pvp wise, I top healing chart EVERY time. Don't even get me started about the cd that makes you super dps(aoe) or healer for 15 secs.....

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    I'm 48 atm, but I don't see why anyone would not want a bard. They make Amy run the smoothed possible. They increase the parties dps, heal(by tons if they need to) and do very good aoe dps. Plus they increase they damage of physical and non physical abilities by 5%/7%. Unless the people complaining are low level, it makes no sense. Pvp wise, I top healing chart EVERY time. Don't even get me started about the cd that makes you super dps(aoe) or healer for 15 secs.....
    They make runs much harder on the healer than a chloro (as tank healing is 99.9% of healing in both trash and boss fights in this game). They increase the parties dps by a bit, but the most important buffs (-10% cost and +ap/sp) are provided by many other classes and overwritten. "Very good" aoe dps inside of virtuoso, outside its just solid -- and aoe dps means pretty much nothing. The debuffs are pretty solid, but a few classes provide those as well. PvP your splash healing tops healing meters, its not hard, but when someone is focused what do you do? Say sorry?

It's a fine soul.... without a niche. Kinda like bladedancer, lots of nice stuff, in practice, pretty worthless comparatively. Chloros make a bard redundant really and do a very good job of doing so. Hell a shaman with justicar is as good ae healing with overhealing being redirected to the tank.

Soulwalker

You seem to be forgetting one crucial thing.
    In a group, is there any guarantee that you'll have all of those mentioned classes that can do these things better?
    Don't forget the things that a pure bard can bring without drastically altering how they do their job. Especially if you do a lot of PUG's, this build can be handy...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EIdqiqskqz.Vh

Two out-of-combat mezzes can be nice if you dont trust your group to do everything %100 correctly.

And then Virtuoso + Coda of Restoration Spam...
    Yum.....
    Last edited by Snakefoot; 03-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Snakefoot View Post
    You seem to be forgetting one crucial thing.
    In a group, is there any guarantee that you'll have all of those mentioned classes that can do these things better?
    Don't forget the things that a pure bard can bring without drastically altering how they do their job. Especially if you do a lot of PUG's, this build can be handy...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EIdqiqskqz.Vh

Two out-of-combat mezzes can be nice if you dont trust your group to do everything %100 correctly.

And then Virtuoso + Coda of Restoration Spam...
    Yum.....
    I can't think of a single t2 fight where verse of joy is necessary. 51 point bard really hurts your heal throughput, all for that and the wisdom/int buff (which is nice, I don't get why its so deep though).

The only fight I consistently bard, come to think of it, is skarn b/c I have the dsm heal trinket that makes bard actually stomachable.
    Last edited by sano; 03-22-2011 at 03:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread