+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guarded Steel and Guardian Phase. Hidden 4% armor mitigation.

Default Guarded Steel and Guardian Phase. Hidden 4% armor mitigation.

Ok well I was bored today and decided to run a few test on the effects of guarded steel and guardian phase and came up with some interesting results.

First with guarded steel. WITH guardian phase up no other buffs mouseover tooltip says 4319 armor (%39.92 mitigation)

This was tested on lvl 45 Frostpaw Talons in Ironpine Peak.

Shred hits me for 55 damage consistantly.
    I put guarded steel up armor changes to 5336 (%45.08 mitigation) which SHOULD mean the next shred should hit me for ~52 damage for the ~%5 mitigation difference from %39.92 to %45.08.
    Shred hits me for 50 damage.
    From 55 damage to 50 damage is a 9% damage mitigation. Nowhere close to 5%...
    And I try this again on around 20 mobs with the same results.

Next guardian phase. No buffs whatsoever. armor 3049 (%31.93 mitigation)

This was tested on lvl 46 Darksnarl Nightmares in Ironpine Peak.

Attack hits me for 91 damage consistently.
    I activate guardian phase armor changes to 4319 (%39.92 mitigation) next attack SHOULD hit me for 83 or 84 damage...
    Nope, Attack hits me for 80 damage consistently. Which turns out to be %12 difference...

I don't know the cause for these results but it seems there is an extra 4% mitigation NOT shown on the armor tooltip when an armor increasing buff is applied. Maybe someone else can explain this any thoughts? Maybe a bug?

Ascendant

Tooltip armor reduction is for even-level mobs. You are using sub-50s, so your armor is more effective than the tooltip would indicate.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 03-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Tooltip armor reduction is for even-level mobs. You are using sub-50s, so your armor is more effective than the tooltip would indicate.
    What he said. ^^ sorry to break you buble

Soulwalker

I think because it would take 5% of the base damage ...

Base damage: 55 / (1-.3992) = 91.5

Therefore, with Guarded Steel it would be ...
    91.5 * (1-.4508) = 50.3

Next guardian phase. No buffs whatsoever. armor 3049 (%31.93 mitigation)

Base Damage: 91 / (1-.3193) = 133.7

Guardian Phase:

133.7 * (1-.3992) = 80.3

Seems right, I think it's just the way you are looking at the math

Champion of Telara

What Tuuk said. First thing I noticed is that the OP had a terrible grasp of math / analysis.

However, also note that the -5 levels on the mob had no measurable effect on the armor mitigation indicated from tooltips as reflected by the observed damage.

So, the observations suggest that lower level mobs do NOT face stiffer penalties from your armor -- or at least, a 5 level difference is too small for any real effect, and any penalties they receive are not based directly on a level versus level check. I would say there's likely a cutoff based on "con" brackets, when the mobs become grey. But, that's speculation.

Soulwalker

Your armor goes up 5%...but that doesn't mean you should take 5% less from those mobs. You had 39.92% armor before Guarded Steel, 45% after. Going from ~40->45% is a 7.7% damage taken decrease.

Think of it this way, say you have 50% armor and go to 75%. Your armor went up by 25%, but you halved the damage you take.

Basically, your error in math is you need to calculate the original pre-reduction damage before you use the 45%. (Or you could use the two %'s to calculate the 7.7% I did)
    Last edited by Eruviel; 03-23-2011 at 07:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread