+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AP>Crit right?

Rift Disciple

Default AP>Crit right?

Dont know which is which, but i heard AP beats crit rating.

Plane Touched

Depends what spec.

Poison Procs more with faster weapons (more hits = more chances to proc)

Slower Weapons have more AP (Str)
    Faster Weapons have more Crit (Dex)

so........ pick one and go with it.
    Last edited by Darkener; 03-22-2011 at 08:53 AM.

I tend to favor which one I can get more of:

Example: 8 str 8 dex 3 ap vs 8 str 8 dex 7 crit

I take the crit....which is not an uncommon example considering +crit tends to have more on gear than ap.

For the time being, I'm aiming for crit.

Dex>Crit>AP>STR

Dex = 1:1 Crit + 2:1 AP.
    Crit = 1:1 Crit
    AP = 1:1 AP
    STR = 2:1 AP

Also, from what I've seen, AP hasn't exactly made a difference. Granted I'm not in epics yet, but I do have a full set of 45-50 blues. Crit has been a bigger factor for me. So Every single piece of gear I have has high Dex, and Crit on it.
    Last edited by Khroul; 03-22-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Plane Touched

The more AP you have, the better Crit is. (The bigger your non-crits, the more dps gain you get from critting more)
    The more Crit you have, the better AP is. (The more you crit, the more dps you get from getting those crits bigger)

Let D = non-crit dps and C = crit chance as a percentagel, then:

+1% crit = + D/(2 * 100) (crits deal 50% extra damage, base)
    +1 dps = + 1 + C/(2 * 100)

Obviously, your spec may alter these formulae.
    Faeblight - Defiant: Ghaeleah, Eladria, Mala, Danoria, Azshannya
    Estrael - Guardian: Reah, Shilania, Kethrah, Tulania, Azshannya

depends really. if you are a max dps build you will want crit, if you are a melee or ranger/mm you can do whatever you want because you wont be doing the dps of a saboteur who does exponentially more dps if he crits.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Chaser

At current state of things AP = worthless for rogues. Get on with the program.

Shadowlander

10 AP = 1dps

1% ~ 1% dmg increase (because that one attack that crits does +100% dmg) (so if you're dps is 450 you'll gain +4.5dps).

The above is clearly simplified math and therefore I do not claim to have the exact precise answer but it should point you in the direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgaunt View Post
    10 AP = 1dps

1% ~ 1% dmg increase (because that one attack that crits does +100% dmg) (so if you're dps is 450 you'll gain +4.5dps).

The above is clearly simplified math and therefore I do not claim to have the exact precise answer but it should point you in the direction.
    This does not appear true.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgaunt View Post
    10 AP = 1dps

So if you want to go north go south it is not quite right but it gives you a a general direction. That is pretty much what you said right there.
    Let me repeat AP is BROKEN right now. check out AP threads out there. test it yourself. For example going from 180 p to 360 ap on sin build increased damage of basic strike by something liek 15. I dont remebr exact numbers but is is like 160 to 175 for doubling your AP. It is worthlessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

AP impacts your finishers much more than spam skills, I am not completely sold on its worthlessness.

I am still trying to find the sweet spot of AP vs Crit in my parses.

My current theory on AP- - - -
    If I had to wager a guess to how we should value AP it would be like this
    1 crit = 1.3 ap

so 1 percent crit = 13 ap
    Last edited by Kinien; 03-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinien View Post
    AP impacts your finishers much more than spam skills, I am not completely sold on its worthlessness.

I am still trying to find the sweet spot of AP vs Crit in my parses.

If I had to wager a guess to how we should value AP it would be like this
    1 crit = 1.3 ap

so 1 percent crit = 13 ap
    This being said, most of the itemization favors crit values...meaning it is easier to amass especially on lesser essenses etc. It also makes it a no brainer for your level 42 greater - The increase 42 crit one. (I have parsed with the Crit vs AP greater and the 42 crit slaughters the AP one, which makes sense based off of my approximations)

Honestly.

Even after upgrading your weapon, getting a whole bunch of new gear... Have you ever noticed a change in your damage output? I haven't Outside changing specs / Buffs / leveling skills. That's why I always aim for Crit/Dex. Because I notice when I crit.

I'm going to do an experiment when I get home. I'll hit a Dummy with Assassinate Naked, then try it again with my gear on, and we'll see what the difference is.
    Last edited by Khroul; 03-22-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    Depends what spec.

Poison Procs more with faster weapons (more hits = more chances to proc)

Slower Weapons have more AP (Str)
    Faster Weapons have more Crit (Dex)

so........ pick one and go with it.
    Jfc. How many posts does it take for people to realize that weapons and poisons/fires are normalized?

Currently parsing shows crit gear with ap self buff for rangers is the way to go. The other specs "the best" is not known to me and I don't care to bring my speculation to the table as what one should do.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Yes since I parse often, any time I get upgrades I tend to re-evaluate my spec and re-parse my damage. Each little upgrade helps sustained dps climb. My ranged build w/ raptor didn't always pull the dps it does now, you just can't expect your dps to climb 100 with marginal upgrades. It rises in 5-10 incriments with smaller upgrades, quite a bit more with weapon dps upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast