+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nightblade DPS thoughts.

Default Nightblade DPS thoughts.

I just started messing around with Nightblade, and so far I've managed to pull some decent numbers in raids with probably no where near an optimal rotation, and my spec might not be totally optimal. Today I'm going to start parsing a few different things that I'm curious about, and I'll post some results if people would like, but I'm wondering if these things have already been tested.

I've yet to find a really indepth NB guide, if anyone knows of one, please direct me to it. =D

The specs:

51NB/10Assass/5Sab: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...c.iItRGqgRss.V
    This is the spec I'm thinking about trying. In a raid environment with buffs, the 15% Dex from sab will net me an extra ~90 Dex.

51NB/15Assass/0RS: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Mcx.iItRGqgRss
    This is the build I was using in my raid last night for Infiltrator Johlen. I have roughly 33% crit if I remember correctly, so the uptime is almost 100% on the 10% damage buff.

I think both of these specs will be fairly close in general, the 5Sab one obviously relies on having a bit more gear, but my concern is uptime on the Assassin 10% dmg buff from crits, on a dummy it will probably be 100%, but in actual raids it might not be.

Both of these builds were made mostly with Infiltrator Johlen in mind, bursting through the Devastating bomb. I use a 5 point SoD with 5 Heat retention stacks on Johlen as he places the bomb, then Living Bomb/Dusk to Dawn/Ebon Fury with Maelows Loaded Dice up, and do some incredible burst.

My main concern with NB DPS is Heat Retention. Every time we use a move that builds combo points we get one stack, and at five it increases the damage of our next finisher by 30%. The thing that messes this up is Dusk Strike, since it gives two points instead of one we bypass a possible 30% damage increase on our next finisher when we use it.

Dusk Strike does 85 to 88 dmg according to the Tooltip on Zam, and gets an additional 50% from AP, however AP seems to scale badly regardless. Primal Strike does 77 to 80, and has a chance to do 50% more damage via Primal death. Not a very large difference in damage, in raids I noticed maybe a 100 damage difference on crits between the two. I'm going to try is not using Dusk Strike in my rotation, except when using Ebon Fury and possibly below 30%, that way the only finisher that won't have the Heat Retention buff is the first, as I open with Dark Malady.

There was one more thing I was thinking over, but it seems I've forgotten what it is, so for now this is all. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 03-22-2011 at 07:09 AM.

I've been trying a 51 NB, 15 BD build.

For keeping Infiltrator Johlen in mind, the Nightblade is one of the best souls for the Devastating Bomb Phase. Because Nightblades offer more short-term DPS/Burst than any other rogue soul it seems. So the nightblade excels in that aspect.

With all the re-positioning on that encounter. It's pretty hard it seems to have consistent DPS as a melee. This is however user-end related.

NB is great, from my findings. But for longevity on the parsers. There is better options.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Haseno View Post
    I've been trying a 51 NB, 15 BD build.

For keeping Infiltrator Johlen in mind, the Nightblade is one of the best souls for the Devastating Bomb Phase. Because Nightblades offer more short-term DPS/Burst than any other rogue soul it seems. So the nightblade excels in that aspect.

With all the re-positioning on that encounter. It's pretty hard it seems to have consistent DPS as a melee. This is however user-end related.

NB is great, from my findings. But for longevity on the parsers. There is better options.
    This is mostly for Johlen, but the longevity of the build doesn't seem too bad. I have to save CDs for the bomb, so I can't Living Flame asap with Dark Malady up, I can't use SoD on CD or Ebon Fury, and with my sub-optimal rotation I was only ~30-40DPS behind our Sab who runs the 28/x/x melee spec. On a fight like Duke where theres a decent bit of AoE Sab will probably pull ahead, but hey, we have 4 roles for a reason.

Edit: Could you post for NB/BD spec if you get a chance?
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 03-22-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    This is mostly for Johlen, but the longevity of the build doesn't seem too bad. I have to save CDs for the bomb, so I can't Living Flame asap with Dark Malady up, I can't use SoD on CD or Ebon Fury, and with my sub-optimal rotation I was only ~30-40DPS behind our Sab who runs the 28/x/x melee spec. On a fight like Duke where theres a decent bit of AoE Sab will probably pull ahead, but hey, we have 4 roles for a reason.
    Yeah, the sab is using 28 Sab/20 Sin/18 NB probably.

30-40 DPS behind that is good.

NB is above par in AOE and Single target. But not ideal in either.

I love the NB more than anything, but the rotation for NB is really difficult to get down to an art.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Haseno View Post
    Yeah, the sab is using 28 Sab/20 Sin/18 NB probably.

30-40 DPS behind that is good.

NB is above par in AOE and Single target. But not ideal in either.

I love the NB more than anything, but the rotation for NB is really difficult to get down to an art.
    It very much is, and I just started using the spec, so I'm not entirely comfortable with it, I often times don't use Twilight Force or Dusk Strike on CD, same with SoD. I was going to try macroing Dusk/Twilight/Primal together for one one spammy button, and maybe Blazing/SoD, which could simplify things a lot, but make it terribly boring and give me a little less control then I like, but if it ends up doing more DPS, it's worth it.

+ Reply to Thread