+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice or opinions on this Riftstalker Spec.

Shadowlander

Default Advice or opinions on this Riftstalker Spec.

Pve tanking spec. Was wondering what people thought

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...okkR.xVdV0c0MM

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by LimsKragma View Post

This has been discussed many times in many threads in these forums..

51 or bust for tanking.

Picking up 6% parry and 15% dex in exchange for the extra endurance + extra absorb from rift guard + the hp/dmg reduction from ranger/bard is simply NOT worth the trade.

Contra Tempo and Combat Efficiency do not really help you tank. Sure, the few extra combo points are nice, but they are not as critical as what you are losing to get it and energry should never be a problem.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    This has been discussed many times in many threads in these forums..

51 or bust for tanking.

Picking up 6% parry and 15% dex in exchange for the extra endurance + extra absorb from rift guard + the hp/dmg reduction from ranger/bard is simply NOT worth the trade.

Contra Tempo and Combat Efficiency do not really help you tank. Sure, the few extra combo points are nice, but they are not as critical as what you are losing to get it and energry should never be a problem.
    The 5% dmg reduction in RG and the 10% endurance from guardian are THAT much better?
    As for ranger by putting 8 points in there you lose 8% endurance for 5% health and 2% dmg reduction, worth it really?

I personally like this one:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.x0d

Using this instead of using yours you lose:

15% dex (Ambidextrous) - *melee* damage prevention
    6% parry (Imp False blade) - *melee* damage prevention
    50% movement speed reduction on target (Maim) - control
    5 sec silence on 10 sec cd (Weapon Barrage) - utility
    5% hit/crit for raid (Dauntless Strike) - utility
    40 dex (Combat Prep) - utility

But you gain:

5% Rift Guard absorption, and 50% more (of your health) total absorption - Imp Rift Guard (damage prevention)
    2% avoidance and 2% less crit from enemies (Street Smart) - damage prevention
    20% endurance (Imp Guardian Phase and Good Health) - damage absorption
    3 sec AoE taunt on 1 min cd- (Planar Attraction) - control
    3 sec complete damage immunity on 2min CD - (Scatter the Shadows) - damage prevention/utility
    62 sp and ap - (Motif of Bravery) - utility
    40 endurance - (Fanfare of Vigor) - utility/damage absorption
    (Cadence) - utility

I guess it depends partially on what your healers are comfortable with, the encounter, the amount of threat you are able to obtain, if you have another rogue(s) in your raid that can provide the utility (additional dex/endurance from fanfares/raid buffs, motifs).

The primary thing you gain with your spec, imo, is additional threat and some different utilities, but at the same time I think from a pragmatic standpoint it will be too much to bother with. As a tank you have to be concerned with who is getting hit by what (if anything) so trying to cycle through a large number of finishers can be problematic while trying to keep threat on everything. Even for single target bosses I think it might be a cumbersome rotation to keep up with.

In the end I like the additional endurance and damage absorption because I think it makes me more survivable and evens out damage for less spikes. I also like the utility gained with Scatter the Shadows and Cadence for pulling, as well as Planar Attraction as 'just in case' control.

To each her (or his) own though, test yours out and see what you think

Champion

The 5% dmg reduction in RG and the 10% endurance from guardian are THAT much better?
    As for ranger by putting 8 points in there you lose 8% endurance for 5% health and 2% dmg reduction, worth it really?
    It's not that 6% Parry and 15% Dexterity is a bad thing to gain. How much Dodge does 15% Dexterity really give you, though, maybe 2-3%? So 9% total avoidance gained, 5% & 2% Damage Reduction and 15% Endurance lost, though... I dunno, the tradeoff doesn't seem that great to me. Not saying I don't wish I could go deeper into Bladedancer, because I do, but the numbers don't seem to work out in favor of it the way things stand.

Edit: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were saying. Anyways, just another Riftstalker tank posting to say that for all I've messed around with different specs, I would find it difficult to justify less than 51 RS when tanking gear-appropriate content.
    Last edited by Lucubration; 03-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
    I would strongly suggest getting armor anthem in bard over 1% miss (-1% crit is pointless if u have right amount of toughness) Even if u run with a bard that leaves him open to use 10% skill reduction or resistances or speed anthem. 500 armor from is like 3% to you armor mitigation >> 1% miss chance.

Rift Chaser

It is bad, to say the least. But you welcome to go feed the mobs in experts with this build, or get carried by OP healers if they can keep you up with this spec.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
    I personally like this one:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.x0d

Using this instead of using yours you lose:

15% dex (Ambidextrous) - *melee* damage prevention
    6% parry (Imp False blade) - *melee* damage prevention
    50% movement speed reduction on target (Maim) - control
    5 sec silence on 10 sec cd (Weapon Barrage) - utility
    5% hit/crit for raid (Dauntless Strike) - utility
    40 dex (Combat Prep) - utility

But you gain:

5% Rift Guard absorption, and 50% more (of your health) total absorption - Imp Rift Guard (damage prevention)
    2% avoidance and 2% less crit from enemies (Street Smart) - damage prevention
    20% endurance (Imp Guardian Phase and Good Health) - damage absorption
    3 sec AoE taunt on 1 min cd- (Planar Attraction) - control
    3 sec complete damage immunity on 2min CD - (Scatter the Shadows) - damage prevention/utility
    62 sp and ap - (Motif of Bravery) - utility
    40 endurance - (Fanfare of Vigor) - utility/damage absorption
    (Cadence) - utility

I guess it depends partially on what your healers are comfortable with, the encounter, the amount of threat you are able to obtain, if you have another rogue(s) in your raid that can provide the utility (additional dex/endurance from fanfares/raid buffs, motifs).

The primary thing you gain with your spec, imo, is additional threat and some different utilities, but at the same time I think from a pragmatic standpoint it will be too much to bother with. As a tank you have to be concerned with who is getting hit by what (if anything) so trying to cycle through a large number of finishers can be problematic while trying to keep threat on everything. Even for single target bosses I think it might be a cumbersome rotation to keep up with.

In the end I like the additional endurance and damage absorption because I think it makes me more survivable and evens out damage for less spikes. I also like the utility gained with Scatter the Shadows and Cadence for pulling, as well as Planar Attraction as 'just in case' control.

To each her (or his) own though, test yours out and see what you think
    Much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfairy View Post
    I would strongly suggest getting armor anthem in bard over 1% miss (-1% crit is pointless if u have right amount of toughness) Even if u run with a bard that leaves him open to use 10% skill reduction or resistances or speed anthem. 500 armor from is like 3% to you armor mitigation >> 1% miss chance.
    I agree the armor is worth it if you don't run with a bard that uses it. I think your build for raiding really has to be balanced against what your teammates use. Like you said, taking certain abilities would leave your teammates open to use different abilities that might help the raid overall.

I'm assuming spells can 'miss' so 1% spell miss would be more mitigation vs. spells than 500 armor, so sometimes it might be worth one vs. the other. I am not positive on the spell miss though, from a mob perspective...so please correct me if I'm wrong (an explanation of how it does work would be great too).

+ Reply to Thread