+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin over Ranger for Marksman PvP?

Telaran

Default Assassin over Ranger for Marksman PvP?

Was curious why I see so many Marksman taking Assassin over Ranger for their sub soul in PvP. Is the damage that much better? You lose out on Concussive, Shadow Fire, Crippling and Piercing. Just wanted to see why you made the choice.

I have been using Nightblade and feel as though I need a change, so I was going to pick one of the two. I am 45 right now.

My build as of right now:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...h.tbtRqzAudo.V

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Divino View Post
    Was curious why I see so many Marksman taking Assassin over Ranger for their sub soul in PvP. Is the damage that much better? You lose out on Concussive, Shadow Fire, Crippling and Piercing. Just wanted to see why you made the choice.

I have been using Nightblade and feel as though I need a change, so I was going to pick one of the two. I am 45 right now.

I've been using MM/NB/Rift and really enjoying it =D

Telaran

Anyone else? Was really curious about it.

im using MM/Ranger/Riftstalker
    Love it, Like my old MM hunter from Wow but with BLINK
    Iv spent 90% of my entire wealth on alcohol and women

The other 10% was wasted

If you are putting < 8 points into the tree then Assassin would be the choice IMO. More then that I would have to say Ranger. But then I cannot stand wasted points, and any utility you get in Assassin after 7 spent is pretty much wasting 3 points.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by AkulaX View Post
    If you are putting < 8 points into the tree then Assassin would be the choice IMO. More then that I would have to say Ranger. But then I cannot stand wasted points, and any utility you get in Assassin after 7 spent is pretty much wasting 3 points.
    Have you gone deeper into assassin when you tried it? To get the heal poison. Also anyone else? I had seen a lot of posts with 50s marksman using assassin over ranger and nightblade. Thanks for the input.

Oh god, marksman and pvp in the same sentence.

Marksman/Infiltrator/Riftstalker here, good mixture of damage and survivability.

You can't use a purely offensive soul combination like Marksman/Assassin/Nightblade because you'll end up getting stunlocked and killed 5 seconds after you respawn every single time.

You can't use a purely defensive soul combination like Infiltrator/Riftstalker/Bard because then you pose no threat.

You need a good mixture of the two. The only soul combination that can possibly kill me in 1v1 is a well-played Pyro/Domi and a no-skill Assassin main (walk two steps out of town and 3 of them gank you, apply all their poisons and then watch as you slowly die due to no healing, even if you kill them first).

In warfronts, Saboteurs > Marksman > everything else - Saboteur since DPS is the way to go, and Marksman because Saboteurs are too glass cannon and cannot kite as well.

Telaran

I did plan on trying infil but I'm 45 right now and can't spec that high up into it. Was looking for an alternative until 50.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Divino View Post

What you are looking for from Assassin is solely the stealth. With improved Stealth, and 15% damage reduction and Damage increase after utilizing an assassin ability, you get the best ability to jump. So, until Rank 6, level 50, 22pts in Assassin turns out to be pretty wicked. You get Leeching Poison, plus 5% crit Poison... On top of 4s Stun, and an opening 4s stun. Then the ability to utilize ranged attacks to move faster like Swift Shot, and the finisher. This allows you to not only get an opening attack, but the ability to remove yourself from combat and restealth if needed WITHOUT Slip away. Yes, yes dots can kill that but These are the reasons you are seeing a Lot of Marks/Assassins. (And your poisons do indeed proc off of ranged attacks.) Just a good bursty spec played right. You should check it out..

for 45 I'd look at something like this (I'm not the best build planner but this was 3 seconds... something close anyhow, Make changes as necessary)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oazm.0AMbt0boz

Telaran

Wow lotta great info in that post I sorta see why people went with it. The stealth would definitely be nice especially on my server which a lot of times people refuse to team up with each other. The link you posted was for 35 but I think I get the idea. Thanks I'll try it tonight.

Telaran

I was originally leveling up as a primary MM with Blade Dancer and Riftstalker as the other two choices. Overall my MM wasn't too bad and looking at the various warfronts I would usually be in the top three of kills and damage. It really depended on what level I entered of course, but as long as I kept melee classes at bay I could hold my own. Range was key or run.

Now I'm trying MM with Assassin and rift and went the route of obtaining stealth and posion on ranged weapons. I'm trying to make a ranged world pvp type toon for casual play. Stealth works to some degree but I won't know until I hit 50. I don't think it will work too well in a confined space as a warfront. But if there is some form of world pvp aka daoc style RvR then it would work.

I have been able to roam about unstealthed, pick a place to hunt, find a target, stealth, then engage.

+ Reply to Thread