+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of greater essence is good for a Rogue (esp. Bard)?

Default What kind of greater essence is good for a Rogue (esp. Bard)?

I've never really been able to figure out if Rogue ranged stuff (mainly Bard, although I have a Sab-heavy alternate role) is considered magic damage, physical damage, etc. I have 3 greater essences I'm considering using. One makes damaging spells have a chance to increase your crit for 20 seconds. Another one makes healing spells have a chance to increase my target's attack and spell power for 20 seconds. And another one says physical damaging abilities have a chance to deal extra damage and heal me.

I figure the one for healing wouldn't be good since the Bard's healing stuff isn't really direct healing. But I'm not sure if stuff like Cadence and Coda of Wrath are considered magic damage or physical damage. Same with my Sab build. I assume charges and detonate are physical.
    Proud member of Unrepentant: The pants-optional Defiant PvE guild on Gnarlwood

Shield of Telara

Go for as much Dex/Crit as possible. The more your cadence hits for and crits for the better your healing is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZilla View Post
    Go for as much Dex/Crit as possible. The more your cadence hits for and crits for the better your healing is going to be.
    Right, but is Cadence physical or magical damage?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Trojanguy View Post
    Right, but is Cadence physical or magical damage?
    Based on your physical stats, mitigated as magic damage (life).

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    Based on your physical stats, mitigated as magic damage (life).
    Okay, so assuming I play mainly as a Bard (but sometimes as a Sab), which greater planar essence should I use?

"Damaging spells have a chance to increase Spell Critical Hit by 28 for 20"

or

"Physical damaging abilities have a chance to deal 59 Death damage and restore 89 health"

?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Trojanguy View Post
    Okay, so assuming I play mainly as a Bard (but sometimes as a Sab), which greater planar essence should I use?

"Damaging spells have a chance to increase Spell Critical Hit by 28 for 20"

or

"Physical damaging abilities have a chance to deal 59 Death damage and restore 89 health"

?
    That's actually a good question, I don't have a second planar holder thing yet for my bard spec, and I can't say I've seen my death dmg + heal proc go off, but I can't say I haven't.

I want to say I've read people saying that the greaters (neither physical, nor spell) proc, I'd be curious to see, that said I'd need to do some more testing myself.

Also, don't discount using lessers in greater slots, sometimes the stats are just..... better.

For bard use the hot proc one, its probably the only one that works.
    Last edited by Terpsichore; 03-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichore View Post
    For bard use the hot proc one, its probably the only one that works.
    I have heard good things about this, coupled with the blue t2 healing trinket from umm..... AP I believe....

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/B59FDA82...eirloom-of-Eth

I honestly can't remember which boss, but I'm pretty sure its AP.

edit: erg, I lied, it's DSM Construct.
    Last edited by sano; 03-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Soulwalker

I use these as a PvP healer. Cadence and Coda of Restoration WILL proc these.

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/EBAD9DC4...ging-Faesource
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/DE8FA99F...ed-Shadesource

Ascendant

Unfortunately bard healing is split between spells (heal coda, verse) and attacks which happen to heal (cadence). The heal part of cadence can proc some types of essences which trigger on healing. Cadence itself is more like a melee attack, you want dex and crit for it. Attack power also helps but the effects of all of these are rather small. The attack power gets split over the entire cadence cast. For example, if I'm doing 97 per tick with cadence, casting the dex/str buff for 52 each only adds 3-8 points per tick. (not sure why it changes in my testing). That's a pretty bad return, and both contribute to attack power.

Cadence does not appear to trigger melee procs - it may count for a spell proc.

Rift Disciple

Do you have a combat log that shows the proc? Neither Cadence nor Coda of Restoration does it for me. Tested on a target dummy and on some mobs that got my health down so there was actually something to heal.
    Last edited by nepumuk; 03-25-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Procs for healing Essecnes have to be Chance on Heal, not chance on healing spell, its annoying, but just the way it is, also did some testing with the bard debuffs, the one that increases phys damage on the target by X% does not affect bard abilities, while the one that increases non-physical damage by 7% does affect Bard abilities. Based on these results, I can only assume that Physical proc essences do not affect us, when I come across a chance on spell essence which is useful for me I will do further testing.
    Hope I've been somewhat useful

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Waananii View Post
    Procs for healing Essecnes have to be Chance on Heal, not chance on healing spell
    Consuming Flamesource works fine and it states in the tooltip: "Healing spells have a chance.."
    Last edited by nepumuk; 03-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Do you mean Consuming Faesource? In that case it because its a heal. The problem with the other "healing" essences is that they increase ap/sp/crit or w/e on the target of your healing spells. Technically you are targeting a mob with cadence/coda etc so they won't proc.

Honestly the only essence I really use again is what has been said, the HoT one. Other ones are either useless or don't proc because of how coda/cadence heal.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Waananii View Post
    Procs for healing Essecnes have to be Chance on Heal, not chance on healing spell, its annoying, but just the way it is, also did some testing with the bard debuffs, the one that increases phys damage on the target by X% does not affect bard abilities, while the one that increases non-physical damage by 7% does affect Bard abilities. Based on these results, I can only assume that Physical proc essences do not affect us, when I come across a chance on spell essence which is useful for me I will do further testing.
    Hope I've been somewhat useful
    kinda logical as your damage is all life damage and not physical dmg. hence procs that go of on physical dmg won't help you. on the other hand its usually that you gain spellpower from a proc but spellpower does not increas a bards skills. (as only cadence goes up with a stat and that stat is weapon dmg ...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast