+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nightblade Weapon Enchantments - Which to use?

Default Nightblade Weapon Enchantments - Which to use?

Fell Blades seems pretty obvious for Warfronts or larger open world PvP battles for the -50% healing received debuff. Hellfire Blades seems essential, not only for its larger damage, but also because it procs the Melted Skin buff giving me an extra 5% damage.

But what about Smoldering Blades? Is there ever a good time to use it in PvP? I can see the advantage in a long boss fight where the stacking DoTs can add up.

And what about Cloudy Poison? 25% extra induction time is awesome against Clerics and Mages, but does squat for Warriors. Do any experienced Nightblades use it?
    Last edited by Pipra; 03-17-2011 at 11:07 AM.

The casting speed increase poison does not work on instants (unlike some other abilities with this effect). So it's useless against a warrior. As for rogues, I have no idea.

Smoldering blades isn't really useful in pvp because of hellfire blades giving 5% dmg and fell blades being a must have. It is awesome in pve though.

Telaran

I use Fel Blades for the obvious reason as you stated, but for the second blade I opt for Smoldering because I often face people who run away from me, and the stacking DoT from Smoldering is more effective than a 5% damage increase in the long run, especially with its 5 stack effect. As a whole, the damage from Smoldering blades plus its 5 stack effect will be greater than the total damage done from additional 5% damage from other sources.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDraxyl View Post
    I use Fel Blades for the obvious reason as you stated, but for the second blade I opt for Smoldering because I often face people who run away from me, and the stacking DoT from Smoldering is more effective than a 5% damage increase in the long run, especially with its 5 stack effect. As a whole, the damage from Smoldering blades plus its 5 stack effect will be greater than the total damage done from additional 5% damage from other sources.
    I seriously doubt this. IIRC Smoldering actually does the same amount of damage per proc as Hellfire does, the only "bonus" you get is when it fully stacks and "explodes" or whatever. Smoldering actually is completely useless and should not even be on your action bar because numerous people have already parsed its damage and even found it useless even in PvE.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Skyro View Post
    I seriously doubt this. IIRC Smoldering actually does the same amount of damage per proc as Hellfire does, the only "bonus" you get is when it fully stacks and "explodes" or whatever. Smoldering actually is completely useless and should not even be on your action bar because numerous people have already parsed its damage and even found it useless even in PvE.

Assuming 0 stats, at a full stack Smoldering Blades is doing 21 damage every second with a total of 260 damage from the DoT plus 193 from the explosion at the end for a total of 453 damage over 12 seconds.

Over a 12 second time period, Hellfire Blades would have to proc 8 times for it to do equal or more damage then Smoldering Blades. Given that it has a 20% chance, it's probably only going to proc about 3 times, for 156 damage.

I did a search but can't find any parses showing Smoldering Blades damage, but nothing that I have experienced would logically suppress it to being useless.

Rift Disciple

cancel previous response (where the crap is the delete button?)
    Last edited by Shayded; 03-18-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Champion of Telara

I would stick to Fell and Hellfire in PvP. I really doubt that smoldering blade is doing more than 5% of your total damage output more than Hellfire.

Cloudy and Fell might be a good combo if there is a healer you really cant kill, but I wouldnt put points into infiltrator as a NB so thats a moo point.
    Last edited by Dahrken; 03-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDraxyl View Post
    Assuming 0 stats, at a full stack Smoldering Blades is doing 21 damage every second with a total of 260 damage from the DoT plus 193 from the explosion at the end for a total of 453 damage over 12 seconds.

Over a 12 second time period, Hellfire Blades would have to proc 8 times for it to do equal or more damage then Smoldering Blades. Given that it has a 20% chance, it's probably only going to proc about 3 times, for 156 damage.

I did a search but can't find any parses showing Smoldering Blades damage, but nothing that I have experienced would logically suppress it to being useless.
    Hmm. Hold up. How do we assume a full stack of Smoldering Blades and compare it to how many times Hellfire Blades will proc in 12 seconds? I mean, I don't disbelieve you that by itself it may do more damage than Hellfire Blades over time, but I just don't even get that comparison.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Pipra View Post
    Fell Blades seems pretty obvious for Warfronts or larger open world PvP battles for the -50% healing received debuff. Hellfire Blades seems essential, not only for its larger damage, but also because it procs the Melted Skin buff giving me an extra 5% damage.

But what about Smoldering Blades? Is there ever a good time to use it in PvP? I can see the advantage in a long boss fight where the stacking DoTs can add up.

And what about Cloudy Poison? 25% extra induction time is awesome against Clerics and Mages, but does squat for Warriors. Do any experienced Nightblades use it?
    if ur giving ur target enough time to live so that smoulering big burst procs uve prolli failed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyro View Post
    These people should find a new parser then, because smoldering blades appears to be the best weapon enchant for long duration fights. I parsed it last night. Even if you run a split between asn/nb, which you should if you want to maximize pve dps as a melee rogue via dot aplication, smoldering blades was out performing virulent poison, even though virulent poison gained the benefit of 3/3 poison potency, 3/5 poison mastery, and baneful touch. Both received benefits from 2/2 enchanced weapon enchantments.

The reason being, smoldering blades is a constant dot tick, and as it stacks up to 5, its ticking every 2seconds, with increasing dmg as the stack increases. Poisons or even hellfire blades, at a 20% base proc rate, is procing on average once in 4-5 seconds, with occasional long no proc streaks.

Conclusion: Full NB, run hellfire/smoldering for pve. Run fellblades/whatever you want in pvp. Asn/NB split pve spec, run lethal poison/smoldering blades in pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucubration View Post
    Hmm. Hold up. How do we assume a full stack of Smoldering Blades and compare it to how many times Hellfire Blades will proc in 12 seconds? I mean, I don't disbelieve you that by itself it may do more damage than Hellfire Blades over time, but I just don't even get that comparison.
    Assuming a full stack for comparison was actually pretty bad. However, I think I did just explain above why smoldering is better in pve.
    Aprilswift <Maximation>
    Prestige Rank 8

Champion of Telara

Right it replaces Fell Blades in PvE. Unless no one else is using Lethal Poison. I dont know why you would bring up Virulent Poison.

In order for Lethal/Smoldering to be better than Lethal/Hellfire you would need for the difference in damage between Hellfire and Smoldering to be greater than 5% of your total damage. Which I doubt it is.

+ Reply to Thread