+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [PvP] Bard Survivability Spec --

Champion

Default [PvP] Bard Survivability Spec --

Hey All,

Wanted to spark a little PvP discussion if I could. I'm looking at a spec similar to this -- Bard/RS -- but, I feel like I'm hemorrhaging points, I want to have some available as I rank up to be able to pick up some of the Infiltrator goodies, but I'm not sure where I can sacrifice much. I think I can trim down the bard tree a bit, at the cost of a little utility, but I do need 34 points minimum in there for verse of captivation. I also am trying to get my throughput up a little, which in turn will up healing, but I can't see how to do that without the NB tree or Sin tree as support which I just don't have room for, it seems without those, cadence will be hitting for nil and my healing will take a big hit and if I get those, I have to sacrifice the pvp tree goodies or mobility from riftstalker.

Wondering if anyone has any advise on high level pvp barding with being able to put out the healing throughput without feeling like a piece of tissue paper anytime something gets on you.

Please keep this discussion to level 50 pvp (bard pve'ing is a whole other can of worms).

Quite a bit of unneeded fluff, this is more along the cookie cutter spec for Bard PvP surviability

Bard/Rift

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Grivyn_NZ View Post
    Quite a bit of unneeded fluff, this is more along the cookie cutter spec for Bard PvP surviability

Bard/Rift
    Rift Guard over Rift Barrier? No CD redux on blinks? No Resonance? Hrm, interesting, not sure I agree with it, but interesting. You're really not getting much from RS in that build is my main concern, I see what you're getting at cutting some of the stuff out of bard, and I could def see that as viable, but I also wouldnt burn 10 points on Stage Pres and Street performer, my whole goal at the end of the day is to be that annoying gnat that is healing everything around the fight, but they can't quite get their paws on me. I think that's the bard's niche.

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    Rift Guard over Rift Barrier? No CD redux on blinks? No Resonance? Hrm, interesting, not sure I agree with it, but interesting. You're really not getting much from RS in that build is my main concern, I see what you're getting at cutting some of the stuff out of bard, and I could def see that as viable, but I also wouldnt burn 10 points on Stage Pres and Street performer, my whole goal at the end of the day is to be that annoying gnat that is healing everything around the fight, but they can't quite get their paws on me. I think that's the bard's niche.
    Yeah, not quite sold on his spec myself. Why bother with attack power in the RS tree? Definitely should of had Shadow Mastery over Unseen Fury.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Rift Guard over Rift Barrier because its far and away superior.

Unseen Fury directly affects your cadence which is going to be your main point generator and healing (you will need to micromanage your Guardian phases as well). Blazing Fury and Unstable State also directly affect cadence (for 24% total, nearly cancelling out the 30% penalty in defensive phase)

From using this spec in PvP you wont need to rely in teleports for survivability as by default you can stand still and cast cadence and regen even with 2 dps focus'd on you. If the **** does get harsh you can then use the 2 teleports in Shadow Shift and Shadow Stalk (prefer to save this for anti CC) or use your own CC in the pb mez or single target mez. You will however need to micromanage your anthem between runspeed and armour buff depending on situation along with Planar refuge if getting desperate.

When **** truly hits the fan you can always Riff, Virtuoso and spam Coda of Restoration.

With the bard hp buff and the riftstalker one stacking your should upwards of 7k HP @50 with semi decent gear and enchants.

Champion

Rift Guard over Rift Barrier because its far and away superior.

Unseen Fury directly affects your cadence which is going to be your main point generator and healing (you will need to micromanage your Guardian phases as well). Blazing Fury and Unstable State also directly affect cadence (for 24% total, nearly cancelling out the 30% penalty in defensive phase)

From using this spec in PvP you wont need to rely in teleports for survivability as by default you can stand still and cast cadence and regen even with 2 dps focus'd on you. If the **** does get harsh you can then use the 2 teleports in Shadow Shift and Shadow Stalk (prefer to save this for anti CC) or use your own CC in the pb mez or single target mez. You will however need to micromanage your anthem between runspeed and armour buff depending on situation along with Planar refuge if getting desperate.

When **** truly hits the fan you can always Riff, Virtuoso and spam Coda of Restoration.

With the bard hp buff and the riftstalker one stacking your should upwards of 7k HP @50 with semi decent gear and enchants.
    Solid points you make -- thanks for the discussion, I'm gonna look a little more indepth when I get home and see what I can come up with.

Again thanks.

PS. Is it melee weapons only that scales cadence? or ranged? or like an average across them? I never get the weapon damage plus XX on "ranged" abilities scaling with your MH but it seems to be the case.

cadence will use which ever one you have equipped at the time be it melee or ranged.

Champion

cadence will use which ever one you have equipped at the time be it melee or ranged.
    Equipped as in "showing on your char"? That is interesting, thanks for the info I'll give that some testing. Just got a shiny new t2 epic bow and I was sad it didn't matter for any of my specs

R/S tree should mostly just be for the passive buffs, your main cast order should consist of bard abilities only.
    Server: Laethys, Guild: Nefarious, Char: Ebonella

my web design: http://www.advancedws.com.au
    I7920, x58 ud3r, 2x5870 crossfire, 3x27"@6080x1080 eyefinity, 6gig, 64&128G SSD, g15, g5, win7x64, hvr2200.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Pitty View Post
    R/S tree should mostly just be for the passive buffs, your main cast order should consist of bard abilities only.
    Uhh, what? What is that even in response to? RS is purely there for durability/escapes, I think that goes without saying.

Plane Touched

Almost the same build I use. It works great. Rift Guard is way better than Rift Barrier. People do not realize that Rift Guard has a 30m range. How many times have you been using cadence on a target but he runs out of range to use your healing finisher and you waste those combo points? Now you just use Rift Guard and it increases your survivability a ton.

Soulwalker

No it will use whichever weapon slot is auto-attacking. And unless MM or Ranger is one of your active souls that will always be your main hand weapon.

Thats what i meant as in equipped/active.

In this case he could make a macro hotkey that changes to bow and uses cadence.

Soulwalker

Its all a matter of personal choices of course... i do run a similar build to Grivyn_NZ's one, but i dont agree with spending points in Stage Presence at all.
    Imo its 5 points wasted because you will most likely be fighting alongside with someone with similar or better buff than your Fanfares.
    Those 5 points in my build (like i said, very similar to yours) are spent in:
    - 1x Power Chord (instant 2 point combo)
    - 1x Coda of Fury (i like the AoE dmg for flag pick cancelation)
    - 3x Rift Scavenger from Rifstalker - if you are in big s#%t, you can focus on cadence spam one player until he dies and you get a huge heal from this skill (i was getting about 1.8k heal from this baby at lvl42 and you can easily top that).

But like i said, its all a matter of personal choices. ;)

I use this currently
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kqz.VIxhzVdook
    For PvP having Flashback, Freedom of Movement, Rift Prison on top of mez, 0 point Inf for Break Free, and (for when the other team just gets really, really pissed off at you) Imp Guardian Phase outweighs the reduced healing on Cadence that NB offers in my opinion. A dead Bard can't sing.

edit: Rift Scavenger is there since I had no keyboard room for Planar Switch (which I was trying previously) and trying to macro it to Coda of Resto would much up its timing since there was a half sec or so before CP transfered to new target; I decided to simplify it and just take Scavenger instead for when teammates kill my current target. I also dropped Shadow Assault since I found I had enough mobility already and very rarely used it to chase flag carriers, which was why I had taken it in the first place.
    Last edited by Gosh; 03-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.
    We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while at the same time producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast