+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sab Mini Guide

Default Sab Mini Guide

KAAAABOOOOM!

That should be the last thing your opponent here's before it's sent back to it's creator. That's also my name in game on Shatterbone if people ever want to jump on and ask for more help.

Any way I've put together a mini guide here to help some of the new up and coming Sab's. I want them to understand that this class is NOT a 1 button smashing character. You need to understand there are tons of utility in this character. Knowing when and how to use them will make you a good or dare I say even Great Saboteur.

Lets start talk specs. There's several out there and in fact there's a recent thread put together with number so you can go to this link below here and read up on the Top DPS complete with rotation. I personally do not use this build I think I give up to much of my utility for it. However it's in my Soul Rotation in case I know for a fact I won't need utility. So here's the Link and much love and credit to the guys that did it.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Top-DPS-Build

Lexi's Build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VhxMh.0VMcxcb

Now for my builds and why I use them.

Kaaaaboooom's Build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VhxMh.0VMcx0o

I use this build for several reasons. Land Mines, The Trapper, Carpet Bombing. Are a few of the Main reason. I use them for so many different situations I can't see not having them. Land Mines work great for offense and defense. You can place them to help kite or players. You can place them around the healer to help protect them from adds. Great great ability. The Trapper, amazing ability you can use your Booby Trap over and over with this ability. Great for quick AoE Dmg. Carpet Bombing, another amazing offensive and defensive ability. You can spam Annihilation Bombs with a full 5 charge build up to hold a group or single target in place to let the healer catch up on heals or just simply blast them down quickly then detonate your charges when it's through.

My rotations really depend on what I'm doing. If it's a single monster out in the field I simply do as such..
    Splinter, Ember, Blast, Spike, & Caltrop.. Then hit my Conceal & Dark Malady. This gives me a full 20% more dmg for 8 seconds. Hit my Detonate and if it's not dead it's damn close. You should get in to the habit of dropping a Booby trap at your feet if you think it won't die from your combo. The reason is the enemy will run to you and when it does it will hit your Booby trap taking great dmg and allowing you to detonate again with the charges you've been spamming as it comes to you. With the extra dmg from the Booby Trap it should be over killed.

I can go deeper into this if needed by I think you get the idea of how this build plays out. I will say this to any and all Saboteurs out there. Use your Adhesive Bomb if your not. This has saved my lives for me then I can count. I drop it on AoE fights after about 3-4 seconds. It allows the tank to grab monsters leaving the group for some squishy Mage or Cleric or YOU. It also is great to help with Add Control. Over all its a good under rated ability that should be utilized more often then it is.

My Support / Dmg Build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...az.yVRcV00kkMz

The reason I have this build is for when your in a group of player and you have plenty of DPS but the heals are lacking. I've helped finish a Dungeon run as back up healer while still pumping out dps. It has utility out the yang and has heals, buffs, & Mez. You can't go wrong with this build imo. I would run it all the time if I could but most the time hybrids aren't as amazing as a pure dmg build. So You will give up some dmg for the heals, buffs, & speed. I still like it none the less.

Hope this helps you guys out remember, the Saboteur class is not a one button smasher as many people claim it to be so. Use some of the tips I put in here and the utilities that are part of this class and people will learn to respect the class for it's utility as well as it's devastating dmg!

A buddy I play with would love nothing more than to have the 1 button mashing sterotype taken away so he could utilize all the Sab abilities. We drive to work and he will randomy yell out "Bomb bomb babomb!" However, in a group PvP setting, the 5 point blast charge detonate is too strong to ignore. Hopefully they will tweak the mechanics of it a tad to normalize it so people can realize the awesomeness of Sab utility!
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by Finkle View Post
    A buddy I play with would love nothing more than to have the 1 button mashing sterotype taken away so he could utilize all the Sab abilities. We drive to work and he will randomy yell out "Bomb bomb babomb!" However, in a group PvP setting, the 5 point blast charge detonate is too strong to ignore. Hopefully they will tweak the mechanics of it a tad to normalize it so people can realize the awesomeness of Sab utility!
    Oh I'm not saying you CAN'T run around using the Blast Charge for 5 and detonate. You will get a random big finisher now and then. Your far off better using 5 different charges to get a full effect. I agree that people that play this class should really learn it's utility it will make them a far better Sab then by not using them.

Champion of Telara

Have you (or anyone reading this thread) worked on any specs that include 32 in NB for fell blades? I just can't bring myself to try and build a pvp role without it. I know there is the limited one in infiltrator but have heard negative responses concerning its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Have you (or anyone reading this thread) worked on any specs that include 32 in NB for fell blades? I just can't bring myself to try and build a pvp role without it. I know there is the limited one in infiltrator but have heard negative responses concerning its effectiveness.
    In pvp I haven't really used melee that much with my Sab. The problem is that in all honesty you shouldn't have to be close enough to the target that you need to melee. With Sab's vast amount of Utility you should be able to keep away from them and kite them to death. However I agree that being able to stop the healing like a Mortal Strike from WoW would be amazing I just don't know if it's worth going that deep into NB for it just for a melee buff on a mostly ranged Sab.

If you want all the bombs and everything then, I would use this instead: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rz.Vhx.0VMcxcb

You sub out 8% damage for 15% damage and +10% critical damage and Residual Shrapnel... It's a no brainer really.
    Kryptyx - Guildless ;( - Raidcruit me!
    Riftstalker BIS Spreadsheet

Yep
    Soulwalker

Hey just started the game and I'm loving the Sab so far and playing with some of the non-standard Sab utility abilities, any suggestions for a 20-30ish PvE build for leveling?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptyx View Post
    If you want all the bombs and everything then, I would use this instead: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rz.Vhx.0VMcxcb

You sub out 8% damage for 15% damage and +10% critical damage and Residual Shrapnel... It's a no brainer really.
    Your giving up the Twilight Shelter which is a huge life saver I've come to find. I'm sure this is a good build and it will pump out good dmg. I would give up the barbed trap for the Entangle Trap though, if I'm going to spam traps it's going to be Booby Trap over the 100 dmg trap.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by -DK- View Post
    In pvp I haven't really used melee that much with my Sab. The problem is that in all honesty you shouldn't have to be close enough to the target that you need to melee. With Sab's vast amount of Utility you should be able to keep away from them and kite them to death. However I agree that being able to stop the healing like a Mortal Strike from WoW would be amazing I just don't know if it's worth going that deep into NB for it just for a melee buff on a mostly ranged Sab.
    Don't ranged attacks trigger fell blades as well? I am pretty sure it does this with hellfire blades so thought the behaviour was the same w/ fell blades.

The 6 points in a ranger sub-spec would be used to apply the heal debuff in necessary situations. (Along with providing 5% crit, 45 attack power, a ranged anytime, another ranged snare and a ranged finisher to pair with annihilation bomb detonation combo)

Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    Hey just started the game and I'm loving the Sab so far and playing with some of the non-standard Sab utility abilities, any suggestions for a 20-30ish PvE build for leveling?

Thanks
    I posted two really decent builds for level'n and overall game play. I would say your going to want more dmg out put for level'n, unless your a utility guy like me then you wan to build evenly with your points.

At 21 you can go with something like this.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTi..VmRcV00o.V

I would recommend something like this. The next ability you want to get at 22 would be Annihilation Bomb. Then finish up the NB tree for 30 you should look more like this. But it depends on your play style more then anything you can move points around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTi..iVRcV00kk.Vhx

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Don't ranged attacks trigger fell blades as well? I am pretty sure it does this with hellfire blades so thought the behaviour was the same w/ fell blades.

The 6 points in a ranger sub-spec would be used to apply the heal debuff in necessary situations. (Along with providing 5% crit, 45 attack power, a ranged anytime, another ranged snare and a ranged finisher to pair with annihilation bomb detonation combo)
    It very well may I have honestly never seen it do so. I will be home at lunch at 12 today I'll spend the gold and rebuild a Soul to test it out but I'm pretty sure it's only on melee. As I mentioned before though you have to detonate charges for these types of skills to stick so it still may only work after your first rotation of 5 charges. Which is fine any way because you will have blown them up with a 5 pointer and now have the reduction on them for while your trying to finish them off.

Champion of Telara

Blargh, lost this by the 5 minute edit timer, but I wanted to add my thoughts about fell blades vs anathema.

Unless the zam tooltip is wrong, Anathema affects heals BY the target whereas fell blades affects heals On the target. This seems to me that it makes fell blades FAR more useful even with the 20% apply chance. Combined with the quick reduction of the anathema penalty by healing and 30 second recast time... well, it just seems pointless. Oh and 15 points in the generally underwhelming infiltrator tree to get it doesn;'t help either.

Maybe if they upped the crit damage bonus or added a crit chance, removed the armor pen one, and or changed physical damage boost to all damage.

None of these stack up to the mage or warrior versions (mage dom one is great, but in a calling that needs help anyways). Champ one seems incredible though combined with perfect timing.

Could anyone post a PvE sab build for lvl 50 & a recommended rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tankin View Post
    Could anyone post a PvE sab build for lvl 50 & a recommended rotation?
    Go to page 1 start with the first post and you shall see the light!

Quote Originally Posted by -DK- View Post
    I posted two really decent builds for level'n and overall game play. I would say your going to want more dmg out put for level'n, unless your a utility guy like me then you wan to build evenly with your points.

At 21 you can go with something like this.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTi..VmRcV00o.V

I would recommend something like this. The next ability you want to get at 22 would be Annihilation Bomb. Then finish up the NB tree for 30 you should look more like this. But it depends on your play style more then anything you can move points around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTi..iVRcV00kk.Vhx
    To be honest. At 30 I would rather go with something more similar to this.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiTM..VVM0E00k.0AM0x

It adds a bit more utility as well as a lot more buff to damage output.

Your build adds:
    15% increase to charge damage
    15% to detonate damage
    9% to non physical attacks

The one im suggesting adds:
    5% to Critical Hit
    4% to physical damage
    15% to All Damage (if you open in stealth) I use this a lot more than I thought I would
    10% increase to all Damage(when you crit. which is a lot)

You can add carpet bombing and spike charge as soon as you get a few more points.

Of course you can rebuttal with why yours is better but i've used something similar to both and I am so far preferring the one I provided. Also I am trying to spec out into poisons which as far as I have seen is one of the highest damage output sab builds.
    Last edited by Shadowvail; 03-17-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Evil thoughts can't hide. I'll help release the mind. I'll peel away the skin. Release the dark within.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast