+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about NB abillity "Heat Retention" synergy w/ Sab charges

Champion of Telara

Default Question about NB abillity "Heat Retention" synergy w/ Sab charges

I was wondering if anyone knows how the NB ability "Heat Retention" works in regards to Sab charges.

Tool tip says "You have a 100% chance to retain heat for 30 seconds each time a damaging ability that generates Combo Points is used, increasing the damage of non-physical attacks by 2%. When this effect is applied 5 times, your next Finisher deals 30% more damage and removes the effect."

1. Does this work with sab charges at all?
    2. If so, does the 2% build every time a charge is thrown? Or when the charges explodes?
    3. Also, if it works with charges, does that mean the 30% will be added to the first detonate (or other finisher, which would be the case if it triggers on throw) or is the 30% added to the NEXT detonate (or other finisher, which would be the case if it triggers on charges exploding since according to the chat logs, detonate is applied first, followed by the various charges iirc)

Would greatly appreciate a response if anyone knows the correct interaction - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows how the NB ability "Heat Retention" works in regards to Sab charges.

Tool tip says "You have a 100% chance to retain heat for 30 seconds each time a damaging ability that generates Combo Points is used, increasing the damage of non-physical attacks by 2%. When this effect is applied 5 times, your next Finisher deals 30% more damage and removes the effect."

1. Does this work with sab charges at all?
    2. If so, does the 2% build every time a charge is thrown? Or when the charges explodes?
    3. Also, if it works with charges, does that mean the 30% will be added to the first detonate (or other finisher, which would be the case if it triggers on throw) or is the 30% added to the NEXT detonate (or other finisher, which would be the case if it triggers on charges exploding since according to the chat logs, detonate is applied first, followed by the various charges iirc)

Would greatly appreciate a response if anyone knows the correct interaction - thanks!
    I've used this combination in the past. It does work with our charges. However it's only when you do dmg that it will count. So you basically only will get a single point out of the 5 required to get the 30% finisher you are looking for. Basically it's the detonation that gives us the actual point. I found this very disappointing I was hoping for the same when I tried it. However, you can do one at a time and blow them up to get to your 5 charges. I did notice that it will not use the counters until you've reached the full 5. So in some ways it's good you get to keep the 2%-10% bonus to non-physical as you build it up even on finishers until you have a 5 pointer built up and use it on a finisher. Hope this helps.

Champion of Telara

Thanks for the response - that is quite disappointing. Not surprising though... 30% damage bonus to finishers on top of the other detonation bonuses hitting concurrently with charges seems like it could cause some issues in pvp

Telaran

grab a bow/rifle, grab ranger/marksman

build 5 combo points, throw 5 charges, BOOM PENTAKILL!

it's a bit tedious. but it could work .
    Bloodthorne
    eXile
    www.eXile-corp.com
    "The cycle of Life and Death continues... We will live... They will die!"

Champion of Telara

Haha nice. Entirely inefficient compared to 5 charges boom, 5 charges boom (or 5 charges, annihilation bomb, headshot, then 5 charges boom) i think, but combined with other temp boosters could make for some great screenshots.

Would be easier to just blow charges and headshot within 8 seconds of a dark malady for a slightly less 20% bonus in reality.

Thanks for the response - that is quite disappointing. Not surprising though... 30% damage bonus to finishers on top of the other detonation bonuses hitting concurrently with charges seems like it could cause some issues in pvp
    Oh it still goes off with the 30% dmg on one big boom but honestly it's like a M-80 in a box of small fire crackers. You get one HUGE boom for your efforts vs other builds that allow you to get good finishers for far less effort. I've found heat Retention to work well with my Bard build to use for healing purposes.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by -DK- View Post
    Oh it still goes off with the 30% dmg on one big boom but honestly it's like a M-80 in a box of small fire crackers. You get one HUGE boom for your efforts vs other builds that allow you to get good finishers for far less effort. I've found heat Retention to work well with my Bard build to use for healing purposes.
    Gotcha. Yeah the idea was whether or not I would work heat retention in a sab build where I am already going 32 NB for fell blades. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VhtMMogoos.V0o is what I was looking at going. With the 5 either staying in heat retention or splitting up and 3 going into fire and death attunement. Can't really find a good place in NB for this build for last 2 points if heat retention is not useful.

Also, the 5 in nimble fingers can go long range bombing. But depending on dex contribution, that seemed like the better choice in theory.

Gotcha. Yeah the idea was whether or not I would work heat retention in a sab build where I am already going 32 NB for fell blades. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VhtMMogoos.V0o is what I was looking at going. With the 5 either staying in heat retention or splitting up and 3 going into fire and death attunement. Can't really find a good place in NB for this build for last 2 points if heat retention is not useful.

Also, the 5 in nimble fingers can go long range bombing. But depending on dex contribution, that seemed like the better choice in theory.
    Not to toot my own horn, I put together a build spec / guide to help out. If you'd like a glance at it I've put it here. It's what I used to level up with and still use now. I explain a lot of why in it as well. Enjoy!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...Sab-Mini-Guide

Champion of Telara

I do appreciate the input. I've checked out your thread and posted in it. Thanks!

I was looking over your build again Snyrf, you may be on to something I tried thinking of a while back with this type of build. I think where we run into problems is like I was saying before the burst isn't as good. However this may be a pretty effective boss fighting build. The reason I'm thinking of this is the build up that leads to the big finishers. You can do the Scourge of Darkness Finisher to get you through the first 5 points of combo. That will up your dmg a lot. However, this is where the burst comes in. You could have done a 5 point with Conceal / Dark Malady for 20% more dmg and really laid a hurting down. However, lets say it's a group fight and you can get your combo points any where. So lets say you got your Scourge going you have your Heat Retention built up.. You do have the potential to do massive dmg I do see where we both have thought on this and where you are going with it. I just think, and I'm pretty sure your going with this for pvp.. this is why the burst is lacking in this particular build. I hope that helps you with this. I brain stormed on it for a while an that's that I came up with for a explanation.

Champion of Telara

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I've been playing around with alternates and I think I see where you are coming from about lacking the burst options of other specs.

Two setups in particular seem like they can really stack passive damage bonuses: 28 sab/22 assassin/16 rift and 28 sab/25 assassin/13 nightblade.

I guess what it really comes down to is this question: how critically important is fell blades in a sab pvp build?

just melee while doing charges...
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread